How do I make a gameplay video with epsxe?

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by Esco, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Esco

Esco New Member

Like the title says... I've somehow recorded a gameplay video before with epsxe (although it was a VERY LARGE FILE), and I want to do it again so that I can show some people the work I've done so far ion the castlevania: SOTN hack. But when reading thru epsxe's documentation, there seems to be nothing about how to start recording and stop.

Also how can I shrink the video size down when I'm done (the videos came out to be several hundred megs the 2 times it accidentally happened)?
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Shendo

Shendo R3000 Moderator

You can record a video with FRAPS, it is now shareware but the older builds (which also supports recording)
    are freeware so you can try to find them with google. (The best one to find would be 1.9 i think).
  4. Esco

Esco New Member

Umm thanks but I was asking how to do it with epsxe. I'm also curious since I did it by accident twice before. I'll definately look into this fraps program though, thanks. :)
  5. I-Chan

I-Chan Ex Contributors

IIRC, you can do it with peop's gpu plugin, but i can't check right now. Look on the quick key settings (the "..." button on the options window) for the button to start recording.
  6. Shendo

Shendo R3000 Moderator

When you recorded video before you probably used P.E.Op.S video plugin.
    That is ok, but if you want to record something with hardware plugin then use FRAPS.

Edit: I-Chan beat me to it :p
  7. hushypushy

hushypushy <font color=#FFFFFF><b>the only one you've ever SE Contributors

yeah the reason it was probably a "very large file" is that you told peops to output in raw AVI. yikes!
  8. n_w95482

n_w95482 Gone Contributors

That works best if you have a fast, large hard drive, because you can later dual pass encode it, giving you better quality. If you have it do something like XviD on the fly, it's just going to do single pass, not to mention use a LOT of CPU power.
  9. Exodus

Exodus ...and now they do.

I find it's always better to do raw and encode later. Something like what... 300 mb per minute of capturing? From what I remember, using the built in recording feature for epsxe slows the game down much more than using FRAPS, which is what I use.
  10. hushypushy

yeah, the Peops recorder isn't really worth it. i remember trying to use it on my 2500+/GF 5600 and playing Thrasher: Skate and Destroy and it was unplayable.
  11. Exodus

Exodus ...and now they do.

Maybe it was just me, but I also couldn't figure out how to get the sound to record either.
  12. hushypushy

i think that's because the Peops plugin only records video (i think). it is just a graphics plugin recorder after all.

btw i just checked and it only has two recording options: 16 and 24 bit cinepak recording options. i definitely remember a year or two ago playing Thrasher and attempting to do xvid on the fly and when i hit the record key the game went down to like 5 fps. maybe Pete took the option out recently, or my memory is fault...
  13. n_w95482

n_w95482 Gone Contributors

Yeah, I thought I saw a list of codecs installed on the computer before. I would use Fraps anyways, Cinepak is old and crappy IMO.
  14. hushypushy

while i suppose that IS your opinion......not many people are gonna argue that :p
  15. Esco

Esco New Member

Well I downloaded fraps v 1.9, but I can't get it to record in EPSXE! I checked the box to record and left the key set as F9, but when I go to the game and hit f9 nothing happens. I tried the recording function in EPSXE itself and it works fine but it slows the game down WAY too much.

I'm using the pec chu cheat device as my video type, and I'm playing castlevania: SOTN.
  16. Shendo

Shendo R3000 Moderator

Make sure that you chacke "Enable video capture" option in FRAPS, and you just have to minimize it after that,
    if you close it the recording won't work.
  17. Esco

Esco New Member

That's exactly what I do and it doesn't recording anything when I hit the key.
  18. Shendo

Shendo R3000 Moderator

Are you using a software plugin (like P.E.Op.S)?
    If yes then use some hardware plugin (like Pete's OGL).
  19. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

Tsk tsk tsk...

I myself RECORD everything media inside ePSXe, no problem if you record while using lower quality gpu plugins into a REC file, using DarkMan's GPU Recorder 2.0

Once the video has been recorded in a non-video REC file (wich explains the very low filesizes compared to the real thing), I play it in GPUPlayer at whatever resolution+antialiasing+visual quality settings I want and record it using FRAPS. No resizes/recompressions needed, and I can keep the REC file to view it using different graphic and sound settings. But usually, once compressed, I have no more uses for that REC file, as the compressed XviD is usually way smaller.

This should answer your question.

Direct FRAPS ?? Tsk tsk tsk, not everyone has 4 SATA 200 gigabytes drives you know... Using my method allowed me to record fantastic survival trials in Tekken 3 at the time. 192 matches. Who bests it ??
  20. Esco

Esco New Member

Rikki: OK I downloaded darkman's plugin and the gpu player... I got it to make a rec file, but every time I try to open it in gpuplayer, I get this error: couldn't load plugin. I have it set to it's default installation directory which is plugins, so why do I keep getting this error? What files do I need to run it?

Also what can I use to convert the file from rec format to any one of these so I can upload it to my myspace page: .asf, .wmv, .mov, .qt, .3g2, .3gp, .3gp2, .3gpp, .gsm, .mpg, .mpeg, .mp4, .m4v, .mp4v, .cmp, .divx, .xvid, .264, .rm, .rmvb, .flv.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  21. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

Once you got REC files, basically, you have your videos avail as long as needed, no sweat.

GPUPlayer has to be set with regular ePSXe plugins, so a good idea would be to put it inside the plugins folder.

Basically now, you CAN record the video with a realtime recorder.

The easiest would probably be FRAPS. The unregistered version overlays a FRAPS.COM watermark on the captured video, wich still seems acceptable.

Hypercam from Hyperionic is able to save with sound, but I dont think its trial version limitations would be more acceptable than FRAPS'. It also requires user input to get good results.

Camtasia should also be able to capture the video, but I'm not sure about the sound.

Graps deals with video input only, and is greatly non-recommended as it is veery neewb-unfriendly for capture.

I'd recommend capturing the video to a transition file (AVI), modify/resize/watermark/clean it, and only then save it to those formats.

But then again, since you wished to record videos for online, you might've wanted to go the FRAPS way from the beginning, while using high quality settings.

Once you're ready to do the final record, SUPER is the most versatile, but doesnt allow a lot of tinkering.

RealAnime would be the best for you I guess, as they basically automate everything in a functional package (avisynth+plugins+ffdshow+aac...) Download link here, but get it from their site anyway.

I'd suggest using AVI, with XviD/DivX video, MP3 sound, and any other settings you like.

And don't forget to post links to the videos once they're up, btw.