How to configure a gamepad/controller on epsxe?

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by usesmx80, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. usesmx80

usesmx80 New Member

Hi guys. Im new to epsxe and Im trying to figure out how to configure my gamepad with it. I've opened up epsxe and attempted to do it myself but my gamepad doesnt show up in the list. Note that my gamepad works fine on NES and SNES emulators. I've also read the help section of the emulator which im running version 1.7.0. Any idea guys? Really appreciate it. :???:
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. karas81

karas81 .:Enigmatic Protagonist:.

Assuming that your gampads are well installed within your OS, you've just to run ePSXe, then go to Config/GamePad/Port1 then map your gamepad buttons with the buttons of the illustrated-controller (click a rectangle then push a button on your gamepad to map it).
  4. jonc2006

jonc2006 God of Douchebagness™

you cant get it to map buttons in the controller config menu (config>game pad>port#>pad#)? what kind of gamepad are you trying to use?
  5. usesmx80

usesmx80 New Member

Im using a Thrustmaster 3 in 1 (PC, PS2, PS3) wireless gamepad. Works fine with Jnes and ZSnes. I've tried doing what hannibal81 suggested but no luck. Unless epsxe doesnt support my gamepad. But not sure why it wouldnt since the other two do.

Or if you can walk me through it. This is what I do

config>gamepad>port1>pad1. Once im in there I have a drop down menu on the upper right side:

Disabled
    Digital
    Mouse/Digital (F5)
    Dual/Analog (F5)
    Dual/Shock (F5)
    Namco Negcon/Digital (F5)
    Namco G-Con 45/Digital (F5)

Im assuming that MY gamepad will show up in this list once I insert it.?
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  6. karas81

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Disabled
    Digital
    Mouse/Digital (F5)
    Dual/Analog (F5)
    Dual/Shock (F5)
    Namco Negcon/Digital (F5)
    Namco G-Con 45/Digital (F5)

Those are the options offred by ePSXe for various gamepad/controllers/...etc users, so that they can choose which gamepad type they own, and its not like what you said (Im assuming that MY gamepad will show up in this list once I insert it.?), those options will never be changed.

So what to do, Once you installed your gamepads/controllers within your system, all the problrems are solved.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now for the mapping trick here are the steps :

1- Make sure your controllers are well installed (already installed and working - as you said).

2- OK, now the next step is a very easy one, to do so just do as fellow :

Go to :
    config>gamepad>port1>pad1. Once you're in there you have a drop down menu on the upper right side, choose (DualShock (F5)) (assuming your gamepad has the same options as DualShock), then map your gamepad controllers with the chosen gamepad type :
    Example : You want to map the X(cross) on the drawing with your chosen button on your gamepad, so click on/in the rectagle linked to the cross in the game type then just push the button you want it to be as the cross on your gamepad, that's it, repeat the opertaion for all the buttons.

This is an example of my actual setting (notice that I changed all the rectangle's configuration) :

[​IMG]

SOME USEFUL THREADS :
    GamePad Plugin Support

My vibrator won't work...

NOTE : Don't forget to push/hit F5 while in game to switch between Gamepad modes.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  7. usesmx80

usesmx80 New Member

Hannibal81, your instructions are pretty straight forward but still no luck. Ensured that controller was still playable on the other emus and still cant map the keys on epsxe. Maybe it just doesnt support the gamepad, which would suck or some other kind of configuration prolem. Whats your setup like(plugins)? I'll try doing mines like yours.
  8. jonc2006

plugins shouldnt have any affect on a game pad or its functionality. you said this is a wireless pad? does it still have the ability to be connected through a wire to your pc at all?
  9. usesmx80

usesmx80 New Member

Ok, so I figured out, finally how to map the keys to the gamepad. Although for some strange reason, my R2 button isnt mapping at all. So I mapped the keys but still doesnt function during gameplay. Strange.

Yes its a wireless gamepad by Thrustmaster Run n Driver 3 in 1 wireless. Its a decent gamepad, not the best of course. No , it cant connect wired to the pc. But remember, it functions fine on Jnes and ZSnes. I know it may not matter but just wanted to point that out.

Also, have another question regarding setup in a different thread:

http://forums.ngemu.com/epsxe-discussion/109285-proper-configuration-epsxe-older-pc.html#post1416390
  10. Seager

Seager New Member

I'm a bit suprised actually, the input plugins are generic and should work no matter what controller you have, if it supports windows then epsxe should be able to use it no problem.

I reccommend forking out for a xbox 360 controller its absolutley flawless imo.
  11. jonc2006

do file>exit from the GUI. in case you are not aware, exiting out of the emulator using any method other than that can also compromise any memory card or save state data you made while using the emulator so be sure to close out the right way.
  12. usesmx80

usesmx80 New Member

Still no luck guys with the gamepad. Strange because it maps it during the setup but during gameplay it doesnt respond at all. Now Im also experiencing another problem. I can no longer use the keyboard as a gamepad lol. Unbelievable. I gave up using my thrustmaster, so I tried setting it with keyboard and its not responding either. psx emulation is definitely proving to be a bit more difficult than I thought.
  13. karas81

Nope, you're doing the thing in a wrong way.

Hit F5 to switch modes during game play.

Select DIGITAL as your Gamepad Type in the config window then map your keyborad buttons.
  14. jonc2006

you dont have the multitap feature enabled do you?
  15. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Strange i have a Thrustmaster 3 in 1 the only difrence is that its not wireless i'm quite plessed with it :D anyway i can map all my buttons (and they work in game) you should check if your gamepad drivers are installed correctlly also check the setup of your gamepad it also could be a maping problem other than those cant think of anithing else but it souldnt be to difrent your gamepad from mine

ps: sry for spelling mistakes i'm kind of tired :p
  16. bropishi

bropishi New Member

Hi guys. I'm really confused by this. I click on the rectangle at the config screen, but it doesn't respond at all. The computer detects my dualshock 3, but ePSXe won't map it at all.
  17. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

install better drivers epsxe doesn't support xinput only drivers
  18. maddhatter94

maddhatter94 New Member

alright i am new to the emulator world and i need to know how to get my keyboard to be my gamepad i know it is possible i just need to know how i have the epsxe 1.7.0 emulator i would like to know how to configure it
  19. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

simple.

epsxe comes with a manual. read it.
  20. maddhatter94

maddhatter94 New Member

i have tried to it will not let me read it ok?

-.-
  21. jonc2006

you know with a little deductive reasoning you can read the first couple of posts in this thread and come up with an answer yourself. try it, its fun.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.