How to extract music from NES roms?

Discussion in 'Misc Console Discussion' started by zonk, Mar 3, 2004.

1. zonk

zonk nes addict

Hi there!

New here, and have a question looking for an answer:

How to rip / extract music from NES roms?

Apart from recording a wav straight from the emulator, that is, would like to get clean nice rips! also, without other sounds from the game..

any help would be greatly appreciated! tried searching for threads on the subject, but didn't find anything regarding nes roms..

/zonk, new user :cool:
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. _E_

_E_ <font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>

yes you can dump .nsf files using emulators themselves. You ll need players/winamp plugins to listen to them

Yours,
    -Elly
  4. zonk

zonk nes addict

5. Naru

Naru Crackhead

I was wondering how would you rip music from SNES games? Is it done in the same way or differently?
  6. _E_

_E_ <font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>

similarly yes. Use ZSNES to dump spc files. There are NES and SNES complete music rips packs on zophars domain, you might wanna check that first before you dump those files manually

Yours,
    -Elly
  7. Snake785

Snake785 Prepare for Descent...

Snesmusic.org is a good place to download some SPC soundtracks as well as SNESAmp (imo the best spc plugin for Winamp).

And ripping SPCs are a heck of a lot easier to rip than NSFs, thats for sure :p
  8. Videogamer555

Videogamer555 Member

Thanks, BUT WHICH EMULATOR CAN DUMP NSF FILES!? I'm ABSOLUTELY DESPERATE to find such an emulator.
  9. Videogamer555

Videogamer555 Member

Bump. I've checked out all the currently available emulators and the CLOSEST I get is ripping sound by recording durrectly to wav file (supported by some emulators), but none record the actual NES sound chip commands to a file as needed to make an NSF file. Please help me find an emulator that DOES make NSF files.
  10. Exophase

Exophase Emu author Emu Author

You might be confusing NSF with formats like VGM that record commands to audio chips. NSF is not a time-based recording (be it of commands or some other representation of audio data), it's a dump of part of an NES game (the audio engine) plus the data for an audio track. So NSF files are like lite-ROMs and NSF players are like lite-emulators. I don't see how you could possibly use an emulator to dump an NSF.

Other emulated formats like PSF, HSF, GSF, etc are basically the same thing. SPC, which predated a lot of these formats, is a little different: because the audio engine and track data are stored in a separate RAM and executed by a separate processor you can dump this state in isolation from the rest of the SNES's state. There's a lot that could go wrong with this approach but it still happens to work most of the time because most SNES audio engines will keep playing whatever background music it's loaded with forever if not interrupted by the CPU. It fails big time for some things though, like streaming music.

Ripping NSF is kind of like ROM hacking. You need to find the audio engine in the code and isolate it, probably using a debugger in an emulator to help you. There could very well be other useful tools available, I don't know. Needless to say, this is something that requires certain skills and isn't trivial. If you feel up to it this guide might help you: http://gilgalad.arc-nova.org/intro.html

Now the bigger question is why you want to make NSFs when most games have already had NSF sets made for them..
  11. Videogamer555

Videogamer555 Member

When you dump SPCs you get to the part of the game where the song is you want and then uses the dump SPC option that's available on some emulators. Are you saying this approach is impossible for dumping NSFs? I mean I'd think you could make "single song NSFs" this way even though usually NSFs have multiple songs. The thing is there's not an NSF dump that I can find anywhere on the net for this game. http://www.coolrom.com/roms/nes/3883/Peter_Pan_&_The_Pirates.php
    I've already checked the NSF archives at Zophar's Domain, and I can't find an NSF file for it.
  12. Exophase

Exophase Emu author Emu Author

Yes, I am saying that you can't do that with NSF. NES doesn't have completely separate subsystems for running music and running the rest of the game like SNES did. If you dumped the game the dumper would have to grab everything and if you kept running it you may be able to listen to the music but the rest of the game would interfere (like, enemies would make sounds in the background and you'd probably die). If it's a game you can pause with the music still playing it might work in theory, but you'd still need to have a full savestate as part of the format to get you to that point. NSF is stateless and adding such a thing would massively bloat the format, but not nearly as much as keeping the entire ROM with it.

The NSF set you're looking for can be obtained here:

http://gilgalad.arc-nova.org/NSF-Archive/p/Peter Pan & The Pirates (1990)(Equilibrium)(TH).nsf

Found that link after about 10 seconds of googling, you need to work on your search-fu a bit ;)
  13. Videogamer555

Videogamer555 Member

Thanks. Don't know why I couldn't find it.