Integrated or non-Integrated motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion' started by Kelmovrie, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Kelmovrie

Kelmovrie New Member

Hi .I want to get a brand new motherboard for AMD which want
    better ? any suggestion ? oh.. And .... Integrated or non-Integrated motherboard? which one shall I choose and whats the
    different of it ?

Thank you...
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Betamax

Betamax Resident Movie Critic Contributors

As with most things in life... It depends. If you already have a better sound/graphics cards then your would be wastiong you cash if you get an integrated one. However if the integrated one has better components you might be tempted. In which case always make sure that you can still replace the onboard components, eg that it has an agp slot for instance.
  4. Viperx25

Viperx25 Technology Guru

I think it's should be based on what you want to do with this machine and how long you want it to last. If you like to upgrade often, go for a non-integrated board so you can. But if you probably won't be upgrading much or at all in the life of your new PC then get an integrated board. If you want to choose a middle road and get some integrated stuff, make sure that they can be disabled. For example, make sure the board has a 4x AGP slot as well as the onboard video so you can put in a Geforce or something if you want later.
  5. Shiori

Shiori :3 Contributors

How about an nForce board? :p
  6. Prafull

Prafull Active Member

Actually both are good.

Integrated cards are considered good if you are short on money and doesnt really want to upgrade in near future.Agp slots for another video card is a must though.
    Non integrated cards are great for gaming :cool:
  7. Kelmovrie

Kelmovrie New Member

Thanks for all your kind reply :)

ok. I'm guess I going for the non-intergrated one because I still having my Geforce 2 card ,But which kind of MOBO should I buy ?
    my budget is around USD 250 .. any sugguestion ?

Getting an AMD anthlon XP 1.6 ghz and kind of stuck choosing between SD or DDR ram

Mind my Typos ... Sorry ...
  8. Demigod

Demigod これはバタスです Moderator

Get a motherboard with the KT266A chipset. They're among the best in the market. Some good brands are: Abit KR7A, Asus A7V266-E and Epox 8KHA+. Asus also just recently introduced the A7V333 motherboard, which uses PC2700 DDR RAM @ 333 Mhz. There are other good brands as well, I'm just naming a few, but whatever you get make sure it uses a good chipset.

Get DDR memory, it has twice the bandwidth of conventional SDRAM. Prices follow:

256 MB PC2100 DDR RAM @ 266 Mhz - $54
    256 MB PC1050 SDRAM @ 133 Mhz- $40

Interesting to note is that the price of PC2700 RAM is about the same as PC2100, although I don't know their availability.
  9. Recca

Recca New Member

Thanx for the tip:D
  10. Mr Urt

Mr Urt gone postal

can u get DDR ram with a P4¿ if so, what mobo would u need¿ (mine is a Samsung, with the part name MR16R 0824AN1-CK8)
  11. Demigod

Yes, the P4 can be paired with DDR memory. The Intel 845D, Via P4x266A and SiS 645 chipsets all support DDR memory. You can search for motherboards hosting those chipsets from their websites.
  12. Mr Urt

Mr Urt gone postal

which of those 3 are the best, or are they all about the same¿
  13. Demigod

The SiS645 can support DDR 333 RAM, I don't know about the other two. The P4X266/A also has some legal issues with it (concerning the P4 bus copyrights), and I don't know if it's been resolved yet. Performance-wise they're pretty much the same, you won't notice any big differences between them.
  14. Kelmovrie

Kelmovrie New Member

thanks for the tips demigod79 and others ..

hm..I think I'm going for the Asus A7V266-E (VIA)+raid for erm..
    RM585. Approximately USD 154 do you think is a good deal ?
    and what is Raid for anyway ?

Typos Typos Typos .. Urgh~:mad: :(
  15. Betamax

Betamax Resident Movie Critic Contributors

RAID = Redundant Array of Independent Disks. You can plug up to 4 HDD into the raid sockets (must be same make size etc). and configure them as if they were 1 disk. Depending on how its setup it makes backups of your file on the fly, hence a file gets corrupted it can be restored etc...
  16. Kelmovrie

Kelmovrie New Member

Thanks Betamax:)
  17. Kane

Kane 邪魔ゎ指せない Contributors

Just a warning; my brother had no end of problems with his RAIDed hard drives. He had 4 30Gb, 7,200RPM, ATA100 identical drives, mirrored and striped.
    The RAID kept braking. If others haven't had these problems, go ahead, just don't jump into it.
    You can always use the extra IDE contollers normally.
  18. Kelmovrie

Kelmovrie New Member

Wow .... Four Harddisk...:cool:
    using so much hardidisk Does it cost any Lags or something else?
    just asking though.. :)

I found another Motherboard which is cheaper and has the same
    spec as Asus that I mention before,its called Epox. Have anybody
    using it ? izzit better then Asus?
  19. Kane

Kane 邪魔ゎ指せない Contributors

There is no latency involved in RAIDing unless you do it in software. In fact, the hdd seek times and copies are a lot faster in RAID
  20. alencious

alencious New Member

You have to be a bit careful with nforce board. The performance of the board is no better than board with other chipsets(sometime it is worse), and the on board video is a geforce2MX. It seem to me that the only attractive part on these board is the south brigde which provide sound, network and USB. The sound capability looks pretty good on paper but most motherboard aint doing good job with the on board sound so the sound quality is pretty bad. Besides that, I heard that there is still driver issue with this chip.