Is 60 degrees celsius (140 degrees Fahrenheit) bad?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion' started by xers, Dec 8, 2008.

1. xers

xers New Member

I decided to check how my laptop would cope with pcsx2 so i ran FFX (E) on it using 0.9.5 r396. After running it for around 2 hrs, the temperature as recorded from CoreTemp is 60 - 61 Celsius. I'm wondering if this will do my laptop any damage. My specs btw: C2D T9400 2.53 GHz, 4 Gig Ram, 9600m GT 512mb, Vista Home Premium 32.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. enrico_p

enrico_p New Member

a temperature of 60°C is the max. that an cpu should reach..but i don't know how thats in a laptop
    junction time is 85 C°
  4. Butz_san

Butz_san DeSmuME user :D

If your computer is overclocked you can reach 69°. That's the limit, if you go farther than that you may have serious damages to your CPU. Everything below that is normal
  5. PsyMan

PsyMan Banned

Don't worry, Intel mobile CPUs have high critical temperature levels. As long as the temperature stays below 90C you'll be fine.
  6. xers

xers New Member

Sweet. I used to put my laptop on my bed with blanket and stuff around and just after 20 min of pcsx2 it jumped to 82 degrees. That got me scared so i use it on my desk now, temperature never went over 65 so far. Thanks for all of your replies.
  7. diablo2121

diablo2121 New Member

Is this overall temps or core temps?

Core temps of 65-70+ C will decrease the processor life-span. It shouldn't be a problem if you're planning on upgrading again in the next 5 years or so.
  8. xers

xers New Member

It's the core temp. I don't know how to measure the overall temp.
  9. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady <font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font Contributors

That seems actually low for a laptop, my desktop runs at 55-60 under lot of stress usually so it's ok.

Edit: moving this to hardware section.
  10. tuanming

tuanming Final Fantasy XXX

Until your hotdog is start sizzling then you'll know it's overheating :thumb: 60C is perfectly fine according to Intel ^)^
  11. Gossamer

Gossamer Opensource-spice

I have a similar question.

I'm running my E6300, Dual Core 1.8ghz Conroe processor at at 2.8ghz right now.

Everything checks out, never gets above 58C. However I've recorded temps around 62C when I'm OC'd to 3.01Ghz.

is this bad? Am i safe to keep it on 3.01ghz? This is my first dual-core system and it's my first taking it this far. I want some feedback from people with experience with Intel 2cores on just what the "normal" is and what my max safe temp should be.
  12. tuanming

Get a better cpu cooler, better air ventilation inside the case, proper bios setting, place pc in a cool area/place, and a good thermal paste for the cpu cooler. Problem solved.
  13. Gossamer

I read that entire thing and didn't see one temperature.
    I'd consider the Arctic cooler 7 pro to be a good cooler, and arctic silver to be good thermal paste. I'd also consider the fact that both of these items exist inside my case already.
  14. xers

xers New Member

Sorry for posting in the wrong section and thanks for moving it here
  15. tuanming

I gave you the general solutions ;) One more thing, the arctic cooler isn't good enough at high/higher clock speed. To me it's pretty the same as a stock cooler at least when compared to mine E6300. And to you it might be good but in reality it just not good enough.
  16. skoreanime

skoreanime Your resident reaper... Junior Contributor

I'd seriously recommend a laptop cooler if you're mainly using it for gaming and PCSX2. Laptop components may have a high critical temp, but they aren't exactly designed to run for longs periods of time at maximum stress. If you want to be safe and give your laptop a long life, spend the $40 or so and get a cooler :p

@Interverse
    I have the same cooler but I'm running a quad and my temps are around the same. What's your ambient temp(room temp)? That plays a big role on how hot your components get. You could also try sanding your AC7 base down and then try reseating it. A lot of people seem to get better results when they do that, especially with the older Allendales/Conroe chips.
  17. Gossamer

I've read some things about the AC7, all positive, all negative. I guess reviews on Newegg don't cut it anymore.

I need to start searching for a new cooler, then. I'm off to get a bit of Arctic silver tomorrow, I'll try and get enough to last me 2 more cooler changes, I need to replace what's on it anyway.
  18. skoreanime

skoreanime Your resident reaper... Junior Contributor

A TRUE would be a nice choice if your case is big enough. But I only suggest that one if you're planning on doing some extreme overclocking :p
  19. Butz_san

Butz_san DeSmuME user :D

I never reach 60° in my computer using Pcsx2 :thumb:(Usually 52-54°) I'm using Silver Knight water cooler. But using Orthos for 3 hours (or even 2) my temperatures sometimes reach 69°. This is normal, if your temperatures go higher then you have a problem.

My E4600 is clocked at 2.4 stock but I can reach 3.1 increasing the Cpu voltage. So far I have 6 months with no problems at all.
  20. Phil

Phil 339.9 Award Winner!

i use water 4.3 ghz full load 49c
  21. Smooth Criminal

Smooth Criminal New Member

60 degrees is perfectly fine........you can go one till 90 degrees or until that very expensive smell of burning plastics comes :p