Is my video card dying?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion' started by Paratech, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Paratech

Paratech Active Member

I've started to have game freezes when playing games on Steam, first it was Atari Vault, then QBert Rebooted.

I'm wondering if my video card may be dying. When my last PC bit the dust, it was the onboard video card that took out the PC, even though I had a video card installed in that PC.

I'm just hoping this isn't the case.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

If you haven't already, install MSI Afterburner and have it running during gameplay, if you can alt tab out of the game and have a look at the graphs to see what's going on.

Keep an eye on temperatures, clocks, frequencies, memory usage, and if you can look at what your CPU is doing.
    Paratech likes this.
  4. Paratech

Paratech Active Member

Thanks for the heads up.
  5. Samor

Samor Foundry

Any weird artifacts on screen while it happened?
  6. Paratech

Paratech Active Member

No, it just freezes the game and I can't do anything. None of the controls work, it has to be shut down. This happened on Atari Vault and QBert Rebooted.
  7. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

If you install MSI Afterburner, there are a few additional things you could do.
    When you open the Settings, look at the tabs at the top. In the Monitoring tab, you can choose what MSI will monitor (GPU temp, GPU usage, CPU temp, CPU usage, etc). Those are enabled/disabled by clicking on the check mark next to the names. If they're enabled, you can look under and find the "Show in On-Screen Display". This will allow MSI to show this information on top of the games you're playing. This would allow you to see the temperature of your PC while you're inside the game, keeping track of it in real-time.

Something else to do: when MSI opened, right-click on the graphs on the right. You'll see the option "log history to file", this will allow you to keep a copy of all the information being recorded. It should also allow to see when exactly your PC froze (I imagine that once this happens, GPU/CPU usage takes a sudden drop, so we'll see when it happens compared to temperatures and such).

Other than this, you can try removing the dust inside the PC right away (never a bad thing to do) and reinstalling drivers just for safety's sake.
    Paratech likes this.
  8. Paratech

Paratech Active Member

I had the PC cleaned (as well as the video card) although I haven't tried the 2 games that crashed lately, I have played some other games and not noticed anything.

I'll try to play the 2 games sometime, I've just been busy and haven't thought to try them out.

I was offline 2 days because the PC was in the shop. The 1st day I had real world issues that kept me from picking up the PC.