Is ngemu being used to host malware/spam?

Discussion in 'Website-Related Feedback' started by weej, Mar 4, 2015.

1. weej

weej New Member

Hi
    I'm not sure which section to put this in - but I was on browsing ebooks and suddenly the site stops responding and keeps demanding I install flash - since what I was doing is arguably dubious (and I probably contracted an annoying script or 2) I normally wouldn't click anything.

Here's the kicker though, I'm on linux and as expected the install button tries to install a "flash_player.exe" what caught my attention was where this exe was hosted. Here apparently.

http://i.imgur.com/DDiIapR.png

Now I've been to this place on and off a decade as a lurker, much less since the site look changed. However has the site been recently sold off or something? Any ideas why its linking here?
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

its been sold twice. I haven't noticed anything at all since I do have adblock plus and noscript installed.
  4. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

Its not recent (spoof music files), but that it'd be linked from elsewhere is new. I guess someone messed up the attachment restoration process' folder permissions.
  5. kenmasters1983

kenmasters1983 Member

I get no spam popup adwares or anything when browsing this site from 2 pcs and 1 mobile....the site is fine
  6. weej

weej New Member

@kenmasters1983 that isn't what I'm saying, the link is popping up on a totally different site (NOT ngemu.com) meant for downloading ebooks as said before I can understand shifty scripts and I'm okay with that, theyre easy to trace and remove for me. What I AM pointing out is the download link to the "flash installer" which I highly doubt is that but haven't really tested (linux, even with Wine support, is not really 100% on running windows apps and I'm not bothering to install a VM). Just wanted to bring it to the notice of others in case the file was being hosted without the admins knowledge somehow.