ISO vs Bin, which is better?

Discussion in 'Misc PSX Discussion' started by Paratech, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Paratech

Paratech Active Member

I've been backing up Playstation games, and using ISO Producer, however it doesn't make "cue" files and PSX seems to want a cue file, a few ISOs don't run in it without a cue, so I've tried the same program I've been using to back up Sega CD disks, and I was wondering if saving the data as a bin has any disadvantages...

I just want to backup my Playstation games to play them via emulation so as to not wear out my CDs, and I tend to play Playstation games on my PC more than I do on the console. *I have a Playstation 2 and my girlfriend has my Playstation*...

So any suggestions on what would be best to archive my library would be appreciated. I plan on burning the ISOs to DVD and only keeping them on the hard drive when I want to play them, I just don't have the hard drive space for 70+ Playstation ISOs or BINs! LOL ...

I might keep around 10 on at one time...Currently I have 19... 9 BINs and 10 ISOs...for the Playstation, I have arond 22 Sega CD BINs as well, but they seem to take up much less space...
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Allnatural

Allnatural No preservatives™

I've always used ISOBuster to create bins. And yes, it will make proper cue files (important for games that use redbook audio).
  4. hushypushy

hushypushy <font color=#FFFFFF><b>the only one you've ever SE Contributors

It doesn't matter unless you want CDDA audio. I always use Alcohol 120% at the cloneCD setting.
  5. GaveUpTomorrow

GaveUpTomorrow New Member

ISOBuster works best for me as well, always using the BIN format. Bin format has always worked for me in every situation, while ISO is sometimes a shot in the dark, as they don't always work properly. ISOBuster is free as well, so its well worth using ;)