It's getting a little out of hand with the spam threads

Discussion in 'Website-Related Feedback' started by Samor, May 11, 2017.

1. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

I don't think reports work correctly as that has been the only report I have ever seen from you
  2. Robert

Robert Not a new member

You could try this idea which I implemented at another forum to combat spam...

1. Make a new forum area exclusively for brand new members. It will be only visible to them and the staff.
    2. When a new member logs in, that's all they can post in.
    3. Have a locked thread or announcement explaining what is happening and what they have to do.
    4. The staff will monitor this area and if the post is legit, the member can be upgraded to a normal Member, and the post moved to its proper place.
    5. Spammers can be ignored since both spiders and normal members will be unable to see the spam.

Upside: no more spam ... Downside: requires the staff to check every day.
  3. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

The software is fine, spam just doesnt get moderated since a while. There was just as much since years, it was just marked as 'hidden' to non-staff and the author until its purged. This also limits the need to report spam.

Regarding above suggestion, a lot of dormant accounts evade scrutiny when they first register/post. A handful even edit their past posts later, sneaking invisible links and embedded pics.
  4. Robert

Robert Not a new member

About members... I thought I'd see what percentage of members (out of the 327 thousand) are zero posters, and discovered that browsing the member list isn't allowed here. Very odd. Anyway, based on previous experience, I'd say that at least 90% of the members have never posted, and not logged in for over 5 years if ever. Personally, I'd be deleting them. A smaller database (and defragmented) means a faster forum.
  5. laserjohn

laserjohn Aim 4 the stars...

6. Robert

Robert Not a new member

Reported 1 ... make that 4.
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
  7. Hyuga

Hyuga Classic Games Lover

It was vbulletin before, now it's xenforo, and the colour scheme is quite characteristic here, place wouldn't be the same ;)
  8. Robert

Robert Not a new member

Reported 6.
  9. ElijahTW

ElijahTW NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

Yeah, and the last time the forum software was changed we lost all of our attachments. :(
  10. DinJerr

DinJerr Meow Meow Meow Award Winner!

This is the reason message boards are going the way of the dodo.
  11. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

I banned a few ip ranges that are involved with spamming which were mostly from india and pakistan, which cut down on the majority of the spam bots

only ones I notice now are from asia or spam bots using proxies or spoofing.
  12. fireblaster_lyz

fireblaster_lyz Is this thing on? Junior Contributor

I can suggest to write scripts to improve our situation. The problem is that will require me to have control over the database and uhhh...not a good idea.
  13. Robert

Robert Not a new member

Seems to be under control ... for now. :D