justwanalern

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by justwanalern, Apr 26, 2012.

1. justwanalern

justwanalern New Member

hey ahmm... is it possible make my own PS emulator? if so then what do i need.

ah PS means Play Station. hehe
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

Well first of all do you have intricate knowledge of any programming languages? If not then forget this idea till you at the very least have that.
  4. thelittlegumnut

thelittlegumnut New Member

yes it is possible.

step one: google "programming languages"
    step two: gain knowledge and learn about the programming languages
    step three: google "ps1 hardware"
    step four: gain knowledge and learn about the hardware
    step five: emulate hardware through programming languages

jokes, i have no idea and im probably extremely wrong as other members will tell you. but don't worry, i know where your coming from. its that inspiration. and it would be thrilling to have a project of your own, getting to update it and all, getting good feedback. making it open source encourages the ideas even more. i feel the same.
  5. justwanalern

justwanalern New Member

hmm that's just sad really so sad... but then again can't give up I'll find something or someone that could help and thanks for some inspiring reply that just show that not everything is attainable hehe... and by the way I do have some knowledge about programming if I don't I would care less about PS emulators haha.
  6. thelittlegumnut

its all good ;) everyone starts somewhere.
  7. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

If one needs to ask, all indicators point at 'no'.

Normal programming is complicated enough, reprogramming the behaviour of the system software from consoles while consoles are running games is far above that level of mastery. A minimum of deep insight into the core functioning of machines is indisensable before even the idea of putting it to practice can become viable.

Still, that doesnt necessarily have to deter from investigating. At this point, getting into regular programming and researching hardware would be to suggest.

Some documentation for a starting point
    http://jum.pdroms.de/PSX/psxdevstart.html
    http://emu-docs.org/?page=PlayStation
  8. thelittlegumnut

so was i kind of right??? :yippee:
  9. Hard core Rikki

In general. Instructions are documented, and through study of existing emulators, one can figure out a minimum of functions to to trigger minimal responses (like booting BIOS, initializing a blank display, mapping textures). The hardware isnt really getting emulated, select instructions are remapped to PC-compatible equivalents in bulk.
    Booting the graphical BIOS and the usual basic technical demos is a necessary milestone, nothing worth bragging about nowadays.

Unless the capability to surpass existing projects is within reach, tinkering with existing projects and codebases would be far more productive for all purposes, including research.
  10. thelittlegumnut

im learning c++ (just beginning now) so is this a good start? also, you know how certain processors for older systems use a certain voltage and all, how do you emulate that? (in general lol i know it must be hard to explain in a post) because, won't a game run too fast? or perhaps not at all?
  11. Hard core Rikki

Electric power flow cant be emulated, only simulated at best (accuracy-focused emulators attempt to). I suppose you meant the original machine's processor clock. Whatever your specs, that one should ideally always be unaltered, as syncing with the rest (sound, disc reads, memorycard writes, lateloaded textures/3d models) would be made unnecessarily troublesome and compatibility typically nosedives for no benefits whatsoever.

Unlike doing so with the original emulated chip, uncapping the execution speed of PC instructions is free (disabling frame limiting is really just that, applied to the collectively emulated instructions as a group so as to keep everything in sync), on an aside.
  12. thelittlegumnut

ahh k cool thanks! :thumb:
    maybe ill PM you more questions soon if need be. (if you want to answer them lolz. :p which you dont need to btw)
  13. Hard core Rikki

Discussing things instead on the public forum would most likely provide swifter, more helpful pointers from the technically minded among the bored.
  14. thelittlegumnut

ok cool i just don't want to come across as a noob or someone that consistently asks too many questions like gameman or somthing...
  15. justwanalern

justwanalern New Member

ahaha you people are funny don't complicate things to the extent that someone will forget about their goals... mine is just to have fun and make it easy for me to play games. while your conversations are true (I think haha.) it's not for anyone to be asking what and how those only that's eager enough to make what they want possible. well I just hope someone will be some smart enough to share their knowledge about this sorts of stuff. haha peace yow!
  16. Hard core Rikki

The complicated parts have publicly reusable libraries that can abstract a considerable amount of the effort that used to go into the core technicals.

From my recollection, those available for PSX were a bit of a mess though (PCSX-Reloaded integrates the latest findings), compared to SNES ones for compareason (libsnes can do everything essentially, literally leaving a lot of room to go creative with interfaces and features).
  17. justwanalern

justwanalern New Member

woah woah this is new PCSX-reloaded now this I gotta try thanks for yet again another enlightenment to the world of make it easy, make it fun ahahah.