Laptop vs Tablet

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion' started by Mikhail000, May 13, 2015.

1. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

You might have an empty mSATA slot which would fit a 256gb mSATA ssd perfectly fine if you need to upgrade the storage
  2. Mikhail000

Mikhail000 New Member

What key did you use when upgrading to win10?

I tried 3 but all are rejected :-(
    1: Printed on the battery slot.
    2: My Computer, Properties
    3: Pirform Speccy, vbs script
    Code:
    Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
    Const KeyOffset = 52
    i = 28
    Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
    Do
    Cur = 0
    x = 14
    Do
    Cur = Cur * 256
    Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
    Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
    Cur = Cur Mod 24
    x = x -1
    Loop While x >= 0
    i = i -1
    KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
    If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
    i = i -1
    KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
    End If
    Loop While i >= 0
    ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
    End Function
  3. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

I have tried to upgrade via this http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

and I get stuck at 32% overall and 6% on installing features and drivers. I am currently unable to back anything up off the HDD to do a fresh install since I had a 500gb external die on me and had to get files off that before it would no longer boot.

Could give the tool I linked to a try and see if that works. Might want to remove your key from the code you posted

Also make sure you are using the proper Windows 10 version for the windows 7 that is on the thinkpad. For example my thinkpad came with Windows 7 Pro so I would be upgrading to windows 10 Pro and NOT Windows 10 Home.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  4. Mikhail000

Mikhail000 New Member

I created a separate partition from the unused space and did a clean install on it but it wouldn't activate guesss that only works via upgrade so I activated it with KMSAuto Lite, eveything is unlocked like the personalisation options etc, but Windows Update fails.
    Now I have windows 7 & 10 on dual boot.
  5. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

Yeah the upgrade proccess turns the windows 7 key into a windows 10 key that you can then use to do a fresh install. Since you did not do that first it would not let you use the windows 7 key to install windows 10.

I currently have 79gb free out of 450gb so yeah partitioning is not really an option unless I go for something like 16gb for windows 10. I plan on trying to install windows 10 onto a 64gb, 120/8gb mSATA ssd and keep windows 7 on the hdd for now. I need money for another stick of 4gb ram and thermal paste if I don't have enough in storage along with money for said SSD upgrade as well.
  6. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

it should be noted it will be a generic windows 10 key, its not a key to be used at all since your mobo is technically the key now
    kenmasters1983 likes this.
  7. Mikhail000

Mikhail000 New Member

Seems the updates were just delayed it fully updated after midnight gmt, the only drivers it didn't find were pci serial port and base system device "lan and card reader"???
    it's also missing that power management profile thing and wifi/bluetooth function key disabler/enabler.
    It's worth noting that during install and switching between os's it powers off rather then restarts, when you switch back to 7 it powers off then bypasses the os selection next time you boot same with going back to 10.
    Win10 took up 18GB for me.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  8. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

I still plan on getting either a 64gb or 128gb mSATA SSD for dualbooting WIndows 10 and Windows 7. 10 will be on the SSD and 7 will stay on the HDD incase I ever need it again going forward.
  9. Mikhail000

Mikhail000 New Member

10. Yeloazndevil

Its why I hate power bricks for laptops some are just too underpowered.

I have used a ssd on sata2 and really the speed differences are negligible when compared to sata3
    kenmasters1983 likes this.
  11. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

That may explain why my Thinkpad was constantly running at 8x mulitplier. I have a 64watt Power brick and have no issues using Throttlestop v8 to run my laptop at 3ghz with the bios set to only use the dedicated NVS 4200m I was having issues with a number of application where they were basically stuck using the dreaded intel IGP. No matter what I tried. AKA things like Minecraft for example. Another reason I need to add another 4gb stick of ram to this system. chrome is another since it easily eats up 90%+ of ram usage and when that happens the whole laptop starts lagging majorly.
  12. kenmasters1983

kenmasters1983 Member

Yelozadevil, you're a bright fellow you guys are brave as a snake handler opening your laptops, I couldnt do opening the hdd battery and ram is far as I could go on that, whats up with windows 7 and chrome firefox eating up 3gb of ram this,is on a desktop, some stupid stuff going on, did you guys upgrade your laptops to 8gb or 16gb?
  13. Yeloazndevil

Its nothing when you have youtube and a set of small screwdrivers. my old ass laptop is 6GB, but I use firefox and at most that is 1GB of ram
  14. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

Chrome eats up far more Ram for me then firefox ever has. Firefox at most is around 800mb while chrome and ll its proccesses easily eats up 2gb+ and causes my ram usage to spike to 90%+ which of course causes both my laptop and desktop to lag and stutter badly. Laptop has gb of ram while desktop has 8gb of ram. I have been thinking of doubling the ram in both my laptop and desktop.
  15. Mikhail000

Mikhail000 New Member

Does the Intel HD 3000 take RAM from system RAM?
    My Intel HD 3000 says it has 1.76GB RAM whilst the
    NVS 4200M says it only has 1GB, atm I have a single 4GB installed
    with 2.1GB left over whilst idle.
  16. Yeloazndevil

yea intel hd graphics take system ram, it only takes it when it needs it. ram is very cheap currently, just get more.
  17. Mikhail000

Mikhail000 New Member

£60-70 for 16GB???
    A few brands I haven't heard of though so I don't know if they offer lifetime warrenty
    Adata, Qumox, Mushkin, Hynix, Micron.
    I'll probably end up getting Kingston or Crucial, Samsung and Intel being too expensive.
  18. Mikhail000

Mikhail000 New Member

I was thinking of upgrading the cpu to an i7-2640M but not sure if it'd work or get too hot. It has 1MB extra cache and the clocks are 2.8Ghz, 3.5Ghz turbo boost vs the current i5-2520M 2.5Ghz, 3.2Ghz boost in it atm.
  19. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

Did you ever upgrade the ram?
    That cpu upgrade is not worthy in my opinion.
  20. Mikhail000

Mikhail000 New Member

I'm in two minds about that ssd or ram, i'll have about £60 in new year when I get my xmas and bday money. With a ssd I'd be able to use readyboost or put the pagefile on it not sure of the difference also supports rapidrive 2.0 whatever that is???