Links and Guides to Custom Shaders for Pete's OpenGL2 plugin

Discussion in 'PSX Plugin Questions & Troubleshooting' started by ViperXtreme, Aug 11, 2006.

1. didado

didado New Member

Hello
    Hello guest.r

Is it possible to make the AA Shader 4.o + colors + CRT-Lottes shader without the CRT Curving on the sides?
    Don't know how its called in english but those dots in it are perfect.
    guest.r likes this.
  2. guest.r

guest.r Member

Hi didado. You can turn off the curvature by editing the values:
    Code:
    #define warpX 0.0 
    #define warpY 0.0
    and setting them to 0.0.

You can also try different styles of the CRT effect by setting the shadowMask variable to 1,2,3 or 4.
    Macross22 and didado like this.
  3. didado

didado New Member

Thank you :)

Didn't know (as a standard user) you can edit them with wordpad. :oops:
    I have great interest in these things but my brains need help with it sometimes. ;)
  4. Macross22

Macross22 New Member

Thank you, your shader looks awesome with games like FFVII-VIII-IX, FFtactics, Valkirie PRofile, Parasite Eve, etc. (yeah for 2d games and games that have both 2d & 3d elements).
    But, I wanted to ask you which shader would you use for a game like Vagrant Story that is only 3d.

thanks in advace.;)
  5. guest.r

guest.r Member

Hello there. :)
    For this game you can use a 2D + 3D shader (2D for hud, menu elements). I included a new 2D+3D shader in the post with a bit gamma adjustment for Vargant story, since it's a bit darkish.
    (Fullscreen smoothing ON, no hi-res textures, texture filtering 0 or 4). You can also edit the color variables in the shader itself if you like.

Otherwise go with Tapeq's mod, use higher internal resolutions, xBRZ texture scaling and Asmodean's PSXFx shader (or ReShade if you are proficient with it) - tons of nice options available.

Hope you find a suitable setup...

Attached Files:

6. SimoneT

SimoneT work haunts me, but I'm running faster!

You can also try, if you like, my new version of 2d/3d shaders ( both can also be used for pure 3d games).

Attached Files:

Macross22 and guest.r like this.
  7. Macross22

Macross22 New Member

Wow! Thank you both for the replies.

I'll be sure to give these shaders a try.:)
  8. Macross22

Macross22 New Member

Hi again, I've tried the shaders that you guys have recommended me and the two are really similar but when I use SimoneT mixed 3D - 2D games Shader v 1.7, the game doesn't run at full speed (it sttuters around 48FPS, it's strange because every other shader I tried doesn't hit the performance as much as this one).

Anyways after trying 3 shaders with the game (SimoneT mixed 3D - 2D games Shader v 1.7, AA & xBR Acc. Autoscale 2D + 3D shader and AA Shader 4.o + colors + CRT-Lottes) my ranking will be:

1. AA Shader 4.o + colors + CRT-Lottes (It's surprising how good this game looks with this shader, the way it filter the objects & text is really good IMO).
    2. SimoneT mixed 3D - 2D games Shader v 1.7 (The 3d object's borders & text are a little more blurry than guest.r shader, but it's pretty good and doesn't use the xBR filter).
    3. AA & xBR Acc. Autoscale 2D + 3D shader (it's really similar to simoneT shader but I've never been a fan of the plastic like filter that XBR do with the game's text and 2d elements)

I've taken some screenshots that i can upload if you want to see.;)
  9. SimoneT

If you like, you can also try this shader, much faster but with less image quality.

Attached Files:

Macross22 likes this.
  10. Saiful Rahman Widyatama

Saiful Rahman Widyatama New Member

someone please give me the best shader for the game i loved, BTW my game was suikoden 1 and 2
    but when i used shaders by simoneT, some object in the game is shaking like an earthquake
  11. dpence

dpence New Member

probably not the shader, more likely you have subpixel precision turned on in options/gte hacks.. in some games it causes shaking/crooked moving pixels/lines.. etc...
  12. Saiful Rahman Widyatama

well actualy i din't get it at all what do you mean bro haha

but thnx for the advice, i just wanna ask one question for you, recently i play that suikoden game in PAL format, and i used GPUBLADESOFT for the video config, and still the game is a bit slower when i play in a PC, but when i play NTSC using that video config, the speed is like ecxatly the same with console (about 10 years ago), is there any chance that PAL format over the NTSC, well PAL games most of them was good, but NTSC format is the best speed ??
  13. dpence

dpence New Member

sub pixel precision is an option under options/gte hacks from the main epsxe menu.
    Pal is naturally slower (50 fps) than NTSC (60 FPS). For SOME games, I have not noticed a speed difference cause they are coded to take the fps into account. Other games though I have noticed a huge difference.. Parasite eve 2 for instance, the pal version is noticeably slower than the ntsc version. Also bladesoft IS a software plugin, it doesn't use hardwear acceleration, so it is gonna be slower than opengl or even the internal software plugin built into epsxe 2.0.5 (It is a hybrid, picture is software but it uses hardware features of opengl to display the screen area)
  14. Saiful Rahman Widyatama

it does for suikoden 2 PAL and NTSC version, PAL is great but slower, NTSC is good at speed but lack in sound, some event may missing the sound from the game itself, i don't know that was the developer forget that missing or something else, event in the console when i play the game

about the bladesoft i used both PAL and NTSC, still PAL slower and NTSC faster, now i know that maybe not the setting from shaders or whatever else, the problem is the format form CD PAL and NTSC

but bro, if you played epsxe i wanna know what setting you have been used, and the shaders, etc, just post some screen shot your setting, and i will thank you for that, haha
  15. Macross22

Macross22 New Member

Hi, I wanted to ask guest.r or anyone who can help if it'll be possible to use his shader "AA Shader 4.0 + Colors + CRT-Lottes" on PCSX2 and how.
    I'd love to use it with games like Shadow Hearts & Onimusha, and if it's not posible if you know any other shader that gives a similar feeling in blending the 3d character & 2d backgrounds like guest.r shader would be appreciated.

As always, thank in advance for any help you can give me.;)
  16. dpence

dpence New Member

ok... anyone have a nice aa shader that uses the triangle scanlines filter option used in pcsx2? I mean it is literally like looking at a CRT and cleans up rough edges extremely nice...(Something games makers took into account back then was crt lines and that they had actual gapes in the pixels that gave a very fine dot matrix...) the triangle version acts more like a real crt over just a general dot matrix (Like the one in petes if you set scanlines to -1) so the screen is a bit brighter.. been playing sphinx and the cursed mummy on pcsx2 with it and it looks extremely good...(And I'd forgotten how good an action platformer/puzzle solver game it was)
  17. SimoneT

Here the new versions of my shaders. The fast ones inside...

Attached Files:

Macross22 and Sephiroth983 like this.
  18. MAXAM

MAXAM New Member

Some major improvements i did by myself in this shader to make 3D / 2D games look phenomenal in 1080p / 4K monitors

Attached Files:

19. SimoneT

1.12 WIP version. Strong GPU required... Guest.r, Hyllian, could you help me to improve the shader performances? Thanks in advance... Ciao.

Attached Files:

guest.r likes this.
  20. guest.r

guest.r Member

Hi @SimoneT !
    I took a look at the shader and discovered it uses a slow de blur approach.
    So i tried to improve this aspect.
    Now it should be faster, but not too fast, because quality was a priority for me.
    I also solved some issues regarding my own de Blur research because my previous implementation was doing too much reverse AA. It can be solved i figured.

Attached Files:

SimoneT likes this.