Linux recommended apps

Discussion in 'Software Discussion' started by Proto, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Mako Eyes

Mako Eyes Refrigerate after opening

Proto, I would like to see Emesene added to your Messenger list. It's a very nice Windows Live Messenger clone and I find it to be vastly more stable than aMSN.

Great list, by the way.

Say, does anyone here happen to know of a way to get true gapless music playback using any Linux music player? Currently I have resorted to using foobar2000 on Wine because it provides more satisfactory playback behavior than the native Linux apps I have tried. And I have tried several.

EDIT: This considered...
    I have used the Music Player Daemon and two of its clients (GMPC and Sonata) and I was very impressed with the fact that it was the only native Linux application that does offer true gapless playback right from the get-go. However, the clients really don't offer as many features as most other music players. This is understandable as MPD wasn't really intended to be used in this manner.
  2. heatblazer

heatblazer New Member

No need. There are ubuntu forums, and everyone knows that there is too much info about linux via the net. And since ubuntu is the bes desktop around, the only thing we can do here is to cheer for it :)
    Besides, there are tons of appz for the X and we can not praise them all but every one has it`s place in the Synaptic universe. :eyemove:
  3. Mako Eyes

I can see where this is going...
  4. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

It is the Linux standard now. The definite driving force in GNU/Linux desktops. Double period. No need contesting that, Mako.
  5. heatblazer

heatblazer New Member

Hard Core Riki - more than right, it`s good to see more people who are devoted into GNU software.
  6. Mako Eyes

Yes, I can see how the -buntus have become generally the Linux standard and I think it's a wonderful distribution (Using it right now and loving it more than any other distribution; I don't think I can ever live without APT/Synaptic). However, there's more than one Linux poweruser browsing these forums and they may disagree.

Personally, I think the -buntus have become the Linux equivalent of those commercial pre-installed Windows installations you find on the desktop/laptop computers you buy from whichever vender, if not only for the fact that it too is loaded with bloatware. Though, for the record, -buntu's "bloatware" is WAY easier to get rid of.

I know a few Linux power users who would rather stick with Debian, Red Hat, or Gentoo and often refer to the -buntus as "n00b Linux," for a lack of better term. K/X/Ubuntu has become the standard for those getting introduced to Linux, but for those who are very well acquainted with it already it tends to get irritating.
  7. heatblazer

heatblazer New Member

Personally, I agree here. It`s much more easier for me to install a clean terminal Debian and manually apt-get what I need, but since I am no longer a teen who has tons of free time I really prefer to got a ready to use OS like ubuntu. There is no lame OS after all, lame are users and if somebody who uses gentoo or redhat refers him to a "special user" it`s more than an empty boasting, since they are using a distro with personally built environment, something you got ready from ubuntu.
    Linux`s power is that you can use it very efficient even on weak PC`s because it`s up to you if you got a graphical environment or not. For me the <TAB> support is more than enoug, I enjoy stare at my ubuntu, but when it comes for some work I prefer to simpy do:
    1. go to terminal witn ALT+Z
    su(tab)do ged(tab)it /e(tab)tc/rc.(tab)local
    typing...
    ifconfig eth1 hw ether TH:IS:IS:MY:MA:CK
    2. save and close with ALT+F4

I do this in a les than 30 seconds and it takes a lot of time using GUIs... But... you know, my mother won`t be able to do it, so let`s cheer for all Desktop-Environments that they are getting friendlier and friendlier to the simple users...

P.S. there is no such term as "Linux power user", power exist in the muscles, there are just long-time users and newbie users who will improve with the time. :thumb:
  8. teh Ura

teh Ura MI MI MIKURU BEAM

Proto,
    thx for Linux recommended apps i might use some of em
  9. GCFreak

GCFreak カラム

Browsers:
    How in the world did you leave out Firefox?

Music player:
    Rhythmbox

Image viewer:
    F-Spot Photo Manager
    G-Thumb Image Viewer

BitTorrent Client:
    Transmission

Games:
    Extreme Tux Racer ;)
  10. sc0ttman

sc0ttman New Member

11. tigeredwards

tigeredwards New Member

good, very good
  12. KillerShots

KillerShots War Games coder

That's it? You woke me up after I don't even know how many years to say that? WTF?

EDIT: Wow, my sig is so far out of date it's not even funny... or maybe it is. Meh... probably not going to bother fixing
  13. KrossX

KrossX クロスエクス

Using Foobar in Windows, ended up checking DeaDBeeF (0xDEADBEEF) and it's really nice. Lovin' it.

#EDIT: For video, mplayer2 + SMPlayer

Code:
    ppa:ripps818/coreavc

mplayer2's repo, so I don't forget it later. XD
  14. KrossX

KrossX クロスエクス

Gamecaster | glc highlights

15. KrossX

KrossX クロスエクス