Looking for a Low-Graphics Plugin for pcsx2

Discussion in 'PS2 Plugin Questions & Plugin Troubleshooting' started by GrumpEone, Jan 19, 2010.

1. GrumpEone

GrumpEone New Member

First off, I apologize if this has already been covered in the forum, but after hours of searching I can't find any info.

Secondly, thanks for the Bios Dump info here, although it took me about 6 hrs, to find a suitable method, and a supported USB drive (which happened to be a SD card reader, and my phone's mini-SD).

Now on to my next issue...
    I'm looking for a way to run PCSX2 on my laptop, which is graphically inept, and won't load any of the dozen plugins I have tried.

My purpose for running PCSX2 is to find Memory Addresses to create custom GameShark codes, since there is really zero support for PS2 GameSharks anymore.

What I am looking for is a plug-in that will work with extremely low graphics, I'm not going to actually 'play' games through the emulator. I only need to mostly read the screen for values, so I can search the Memory for these values, to find where these values are stored, then I can change the values with the GameShark for use on my Console.

Is there any plugins already in existence to accomplish this??
    Or is there another method to access/search the memory to find values??

Also, I thought of the possibility of an ELF to run in the background, to when a hot key is pressed, to dump the memory values onto either a memory card or USB drive, so I could port it to my pc and do a search that way. -Is this possible??

EDIT: My processor is 1.2ghz, 384M RAM , with an
    ATI Mobility Radeon AGP(0x4C59)/ internal DAC(350mhz) - Video
    Good Luck finding anymore spec info on the Video, as it is no longer supported by ati I can't find the latest drivers either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks in advance,
    -GrumpEone
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. masta.g.86

masta.g.86 No sir, I don't like it. Award Winner!

Kinda hard to make any recommendations without your computer specs.

Though I can tell you right now that if you have a laptop with crap graphics, then your CPU very likely won't be up to the task of decent PS2 emulation anyway.
  4. GrumpEone

GrumpEone New Member

^^
    My processor is 1.2ghz, 384M RAM , with an
    ATI Mobility Radeon AGP(0x4C59)/ internal DAC(350mhz) - Video
    Good Luck finding anymore spec info on the Video, as it is no longer supported by ati I can't find the latest drivers either.

But like I said earlier, decent emulation is not what i'm looking for, just plain emulation running 5-10 frames/sec. is acceptable for my purposes, and poor graphics quality is fine too, mainly I just need to load a save, and view the memory addresses, change a value, and view the memory addresses and compare.
  5. masta.g.86

The ATI HWID pops up as an ATI Mobility Radeon 7000. This card doesn't support pixel shaders at all.

Running PCSX2 on that laptop is looking to be an impossible task.
  6. Smooth Criminal

Smooth Criminal New Member

^^ waht masta g said....

hmmm.......i am not a pcsx2 guru.....but i suggest u try some earlier versions....there aint a null display plugin for pcsx2 i guess

just a shot in the dark
  7. GrumpEone

GrumpEone New Member

Nothing is impossible, but maybe I should look for a different solution other than PCSX2.

Will try, plus there are a few less successful emulators out there, that I still haven't tried.

Thanks for trying guys...
  8. redlofredlof

redlofredlof troubleshooter Award Winner!

On that laptop, forget ps2 emulation. you need a way more faster CPU, GPU and RAM combination to run any game at playable speed.
  9. GrumpEone

GrumpEone New Member

^^
    Again, not looking to PLAY a game, simply to run a game to dump the memory locations.
    Playability is not an issue, I have a working PS2 to play a game. To just simply RUN a game should be doable with the hardware I have, I understand that running well, or playing games at real-time/speeds is a different story.

I'm looking for IDEAS, SOLUTIONS, and RESOURCES, to reach my objective, and not just a bunch of narrow-minded posts saying "you can't do it" or it's "impossible". One way or another I will reach my objective with my current hardware, I was hoping to get some ideas or help along the way, more positivity and less negativity.

I don't need anymore replies saying you can't do it. I am pretty resourceful, and have always made equipment do what it's not supposed or designed to do!! If I have to I will tear apart my PS2 and integrate it into my PC, but there is an easier way out there, I just have to find it.

Let's think outside of the BOX, and act like more than just end-users. Gotta make that square peg fit into the round hole.

Thanks in advance for any positive ideas or solutions,
    -GrumpEone
  10. masta.g.86

Computers aren't magical boxes that just "do stuff". They have limitations. Right now, you're at the end of a hardware limitation. Your IGP (video "card") doesn't support shaders at all. Shaders are REQUIRED to use the GSDX and ZeroGS video plugins.

There are, indeed, 2 solutions. The easiest solution is to upgrade your hardware, but you refuse to do so. The only other solution is to learn and code your own video plugin that doesn't rely on pixel shaders (or SSE2 for that matter).

Speaking of SSE2, can you take a screenshot of PCSX2's output window? It looks something like this:

View attachment 208336
  11. GrumpEone

GrumpEone New Member

No sh_t sherlock, I know they have limitations but the RAW power of my laptop is greater than the RAW power of the PS2, the main difference is the PS2 hardware resources are dedicated to running PS2 OS and hardware, where the laptop is designed for different purposes (mostly wasting resources through windows).

It's not the easiest solution to upgrade my hardware, you act like they give computers away for free, since it's such an easy solution why not just ship me a new computer that will work, not that easy is it. I'm not going to go out and buy a new system just for this purpose, specially since I have recently been laid-off permanently from a GM supplier, so I will work within my available resources!! Boy- you either like trying to argue, or are just that narrow-minded, to believe there are only 2 solutions to my problem, is that what they teach you in school? How about not replying unless you have something real to contribute, I guess you didn't read or understand my previous message.

Also what does taking a screenshot of PCSX2 going to do for me? or anyone for that matter? If you can't help, give solutions, or ideas [STRIKE]just shut up, and stop wasting server space![/STRIKE]
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  12. masta.g.86

You should be a comedian. No, seriously.

No one here is being narrow minded. The "My computer is more powerful than a PS2 so therefore it should run it just fine" stigma has been discussed on this and other forums many times over.

Your computer's CPU and a PS2's CPU are both based on two completely different micro-architectures. An emulator is like a translator. The games can only be executed with native PS2 code. The emulator "translates" these codes to your CPU's native x86 code. Many commands take longer to process than others because while certain functions may execute on a PS2 in just one cycle, it can take twelve or more cycles to execute the same code on a typical x86 based CPU.

To help speed up overall emulation speed, the PCSX2 team implemented SIMD extension support. This is where the SSE and SSE2 part comes into play. PCSX2's priority is to emulate games at playable speeds. Without the SSE2 supporting CPU requirement, that's almost impossible. While you don't need a playable game to help you pull Game Genie codes, a SIMD-less, shader-less PCSX2 variant, is the antithesis of the goal of the PCSX2 team. They are aiming for speed. You just need it to run, however you need the proper SIMD and shader support because PCSX2 is built around the utilization of these features and thus are a minimum requirement.

Certainly, a version that doesn't require these features is possible. The problem is, such a version does not exist. That's why I said you will need to learn to code as I highly doubt the PCSX2 dev team would be willing to custom-code a version.

As for posting a screenshot, it tells you (and us) exactly what kind of CPU you have and which SIMD extensions it supports. It basically tells you whether or not you meet the minimum system requirements as far as the CPU goes.

What do they teach me in school you ask? Well I'm an electronics and networking engineer. I would like to think my statements hold some level of validity.
  13. GrumpEone

GrumpEone New Member

Actually you are being the definition of narrow-minded when you make a statement like "you only have 2 solutions". Well as a future engineer you should know better than most, that there are an almost infinite number of solutions to any problem, it's just a question of which are more feasible than the others, with the available resources.

Also, the amount of cycles it takes to perform a specific task has a lot to do with the architecture, but has more to do with making it fit the windows GUI.

I have a decent understanding how emulators work, again it seems you intentionally missed my point, I never said that it should work fine, I said it should be able to run, there is a big difference.

As for the screenshot, it is of little use in this case, because after my 2nd post anyone reading knows I don't meet the reqs, which is what you are redundantly stating here, over and over again. I never asked the dev team to make a workaround just for me, because it most likely won't happen. I know the dev. team is trying to facilitate those with faster systems, and to increase overall performance and stability.

Running PCSX2 may not be the best solution, but I was hoping to get some IDEAS on how to work around the lack of computing power I have, I figured a emulation forum would be a good place to pick some brains. Maybe I was wrong but that is yet to be seen, maybe I will have to code my own plug-in (if it is possible with PCSX2, after pouring over the source code) but there should be other alternatives. Or am I just wasting my time here??¿¿

Also, sorry if my previous reply seemed overly aggressive or insulting, after re-reading it could be taken that way, off-the-cuff humor and sarcasm don't come off well in text form.
  14. BinarySlave

BinarySlave Tyrant

Try the attached version, which works on my Athlon xp 2800+.
    (use the ZeroGS_nosee2 plugin for GFX, just to be sure)

..and please report back if it was of any help.

EDIT:
    Just attached a small pic to proof that pure power isn not always required.
    As someone here has as signature: "Emulation requires a brain."
    (...and yes, just a few games run with playable speed. But I currently just want to play Disgaea 2, which is absolutely playable with this version!)
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  15. Kaizen

Kaizen Qu'ils mangent de la brioche Award Winner!

Alright.

Buy a new pc. That will solve all your issues.
    Save up some money, research modern computer hardware online.
    Post some threads about your hardware ideas to confirm compatability.

Take your saved credit and then purchase the components.

Assemble with help from more research.

That's an idea, with a solution and a guideline of what resources to use.
    It's positive and will work.

YOU CAN DO IT!

GO TEAM GRUMPe!!
  16. Clements

Clements Active Member

If he can get any version of PCSX2 to run even the BIOS, I'd be quite surprised. Even with an old version of PCSX2 and an old OpenGL plugin.
  17. DarkestSoul

DarkestSoul New Member

erm

i know this is a little late lol but uh its not impossible at all actually. i've been using pcsx2 on my laptap for quite a while now. the only major difference in the two is that i have a 2.2 duel core processor and i average 45-60 fps in most games i've played.
  18. masta.g.86

19. nanaya

nanaya ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌

that major difference is what matter most, dual core generation cpu of any kind in laptop will be packaged with at least pixel shader supporting gpu.