Mac OSX version of VBA will not save

Discussion in 'Visualboy Advance Discussion' started by yuhyuhyon, Jul 29, 2008.

1. yuhyuhyon

yuhyuhyon New Member

I have looked everywhere but no one seems to know how to save games for VBA on Macs. I know that it probably is not an issue concerning file size or format. Everytime I expect an automatic battery save after quitting or try to create a save state during game play, one of two errors comes up, respectively:
    Error creating file Battery Saves/[game title].sav
    Error creating file Save States/[game title].sgm

The interface for VBA between Macs and Windows are completely different so Windows users need not reply if they don't know what they're talking about.

Is this just the way the program runs, because if so it's definitely not worth keeping.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

the emulator will default to saving in the SAVE and BATTERY sub folders
    if these do not exist, create them. and make sure they have write permission,
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  4. yuhyuhyon

yuhyuhyon New Member

thanks dude, figured it out fine.

btw, FF8 is the best, for sure.
  5. jdawson

jdawson New Member

hey yuhyuhyon - im having the same problem. how exactly did you get it to work?

thanks
  6. JD1234

JD1234 New Member

i looked at the read me for the vba and it says to hold shift and press f1-f9 for the save slots. when i do this it sas it has saved but then when i go to play the game there is no saved game, nor is there anything in the save states or battery states folders. how do i load my saves?????

i'm using a mac and playing pokemon and legend of zelda btw.
  7. huxley9

huxley9 New Member

Mac wont save VBA

im having the same problem with the vba. im running the newest Mac OS. anyone know how to fix this?
  8. Squall-Leonhart

Create the folders yo!
  9. huxley9

huxley9 New Member

I created the folders..still not saving
  10. Squall-Leonhart

open of the CFG or INI file in a text editor and type the locations for the following

BatteryDir=
    captureDir=
    saveDir=
  11. huxley9

huxley9 New Member

i downloaded a different one. i dont think vba is compatible for macs. maybe it is but this other one worked first try
  12. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho New Member

ok, now i know how to do it, open the VBA.dmg, now the fodler send it to the applications folder and then voila.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  13. netarver17

netarver17 New Member

ive done all that and the message still pops up:Error creating file Save States/(game name).sgm
  14. KingTreDay

KingTreDay New Member

Note the sub folders should be called Save States and Battery Saves. Not just Save and Battery.

If all else fails redownload and move the entire folder instead.
  15. Squall-Leonhart

KingTreDay, if you have successfully setup vba mac, write up a setup guide and i'll have it pinned.
  16. erthboy

erthboy ...is earthbound

I've tried 'opening package contents' and creating "Battery Saves" and "Save States" folders in the Content folder as well as the Content>Mac OS and Content>Resources folders, but nothing works.

Can someone please tell us all where it is trying to save to? KingTreDay?
  17. pokemontrainer

pokemontrainer New Member

i tried to give the folders write permission but its not an option, how do i give them write permission? really need to save on my visual boy advance!
  18. dranzer123

dranzer123 New Member

i have figured out how to save on VBA for mac all you have to do is right click or CTRL click on the VBA folder and go to configure folder actions then you will have to enable folder actions and it will work
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  19. blondegrl

blondegrl New Member

I just moved the visual advance boy file onto my desktop
    I think this works because my hard drive will recognize the VBA as a read only app
    My desktop allows the file to read and write

It worked for me at least
  20. Squall-Leonhart

its because mac's suck.

anyway, you can provide write permissions to the folder using dranzers explanation.
  21. kira1986

kira1986 New Member

first squall macs suck less than windows the problem is the people writing the programs for the mac are to windows based.

this is help for my gf whom is in the us while im in the uk and so i can't just hop on her mac and fix it by trial and error last night by advising her to do the following steps i got the save to work.

the trick is this move vba and the battery saves and the other save folder to your application and place your rom into the save files folder. this will create your saves.

the problem i currently have is opening the save folder at a later point.
    any advice?