Managed to control myself for the very first time...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by @ruantec, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Linktothepast

Linktothepast Deus ex machina

Well to me it depends on how dangerous that guy would be and how my sister would react to the whole situation. If for whatever reason she was calm about it and the thing didn't escalate (the guy run for it, etc.), i wouldn't find much of a reason to be angry myself.
  2. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

Agree with you there. however my case is different tho. since my sister is very young and probably she won't do anything as she will be shocked at first. as the big one my job is to protect my family no matter what ;)
  3. Ahielia

Ahielia I'm sexy and I know it!

Only reason why they don't let you guys in the army is because they can't control you :p

If I had been a commanding officer, I wouldn't try to control you, I'd unleash you.
    You guys would wreck serious havoc on the battlefield.
  4. @ruantec

LOL!!! didn't thought on that one!
  5. Linktothepast

Linktothepast Deus ex machina

To unleash them safely you have to be able to have some control over them at first you know :p. And cold logic is more important than uncontrollable rage at a modern battlefield, otherwise you are as good as dead so i have to disagree with you there.
  6. @ruantec

I wouldn't call it totally un-controllable tho. its not like we jump into the enemy without actually knowing what we're doing. the only part that is sort of un-controllable is the fact that we get angry at first which lead us to do what we did till today. however when it comes to fights we both always knew what we do or else we would've probably lost most of our fights. of course we didn't won all our fights as there were several tought ones were we lost somehow but those are the fights that made us even stronger as we learned from our previous mistakes and fought better the next time beating our opponent.

for instance one of the times when i got beaten badly was when i was 16 years old. after playing basketball i had a small problem with a guy but nothing happpened... about 1 hour later i was heading home and a guy told me that someone i knew(don't want to mention his name) wanted to talk to me and that he was waiting for me in a street near the place i was. i went to that street and the guy i had the problem with was waiting for me as well as 5 guys who rapidly attacked me. of course i fought back and did all i could and even managed to beat some of them but obviously i lost the fight at the end and ended beaten badly. that lost was bad for me but it only made me stronger as i managed to beat some of them and after a while i found some of them and gave them a lesson even if that wasn't my goal after all.

That is also the reason why i've said several times here that physical strength is an advantage but it doesn't automatically give you the victory. a battlefield however is a different story.... there is not always real anger against someone who piss you off but more of blind-battle sometimes where you just follow commands from someone who may be wrong or right so your fight have no meaning at some point. however is all about survive and at that point is when you have to think for yourself and obviously will take the best out of you.

with all that am not saying we would win in a battlefield but that am confident that we wouldn't run amok killing people blindly either.... however i bet we would enjoy the battlefield which is why i think is right for us not to join the troup as it would practically feed our temper.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  7. Proto

Proto Knowledge is the solution Junior Contributor

I think the accepted reaction will be to push sexual harassment charges against the guy. As you said, this wasn't the first time something similar happened, and you have a family history of similar cases. Am I the only one seeing a pattern in here?
  8. verboten999

verboten999 soshin

Also a very good alternative :thumb:

Wow, black belt in jujutsu? The orthodox style or the more modern system like Brazilian Jujutsu? That's cool man :D Are you still active? And kickboxing! Man, you pack some serious arsenals there. Yeah, it really pisses me off when people just train for the sake of coloring one's belt. It's really irrelevant.

Also an issue here where I live. Some dojo take pride in the student's capability to beat others senseless in a more senseless street fight. These types walk in arrogance and have no respect towards others. That's why a good sincere instructor is needed. But sometimes it's a matter of mixing and matching. Some people, unaware of their own inflated pride and aggression, will find an equally proud and aggressive instructor. Self awareness is a must imho.

My shisou always emphasizes the importance of self control and calm in facing adversaries, whatever the form. One thing I like about grappling in general, is that it focuses on subduing the enemy without hitting them, and more on locking the opponents' movements. Of course snapping joints off of its place is quite easy. I know, because I experienced it first hand that even a newbie could snap a shoulder joint easily given the right execution of technique (and some lack of awareness on my side).

Going into a peaceful mountain is a soothing experience, I agree.
  9. niku

niku niku

gym, karate, self defense techniques only give you more confidence in fighting.
    @ruan
    what that person did was not a good thing to do, especially with you and your bro around.
    I'm already a big fan of your bro for raping the police. But avoiding conflict is better than taking things in your own hands, especially in front of your family. sure out makes your sis feel secure but it must have scared the **** out of others that had come out with you.
    Next time try to put your family before everything else.
    you could have also called the manager of the place, like a gentleman and not a kick boxer. Although the latter looks a lot cool. I'm sure the rest of the cafe people would be having a good time watching you in action.
    i hope I'm not offending you in any way. i apologize in anticipation.
  10. verboten999

verboten999 soshin

Lol I cannot agree more. A lot of people take self defense classes in order to be able to fare well in (street) fights, to stand up their ground if it comes to it. Personally, it was the main reason I took Pencak Silat when I was younger. I was bullied when I was in the 1st through 3rd grade. I took the class so that I could stand up to the bullies. I did so, and managed to get the bullies off me.

But now, the more I learn, the more I practice, the more I resent solving matters through a physical fight. You can say I tend to avoid conflict whenever I can. Talking things out, or even sometimes position myself to seem lower than the opponent if necessary is better than exchanging blows. Though it would depend on the case and/ or the situation.

So, yes, if it comes to a fight, I am confident that I can defend myself, or enough to get myself away from the attacker(s), but I'd avoid fighting as much as I can.
  11. ElijahTW

ElijahTW Need more coffee. Award Winner!

Me. I don't care - grab away.

Show Spoiler

My family isn't close for the most part, so I could give a flying f**k less. :)
  12. @ruantec

I definitely admire your way to think/life but there are situations when you have to handle or else is too late. of course what happened recently wasn't something that big and as i already explained everything got under control but at least the guy got a bitter taste that will probably prevent a future abuse against a minor girl as i bet he will think twice before trying to do that again. while pushing a sexual harassment charge on him may be the right way it doesn't really give him a bitter taste which may prevent future cases in my eyes.

again... i can understand what you mean but its not like we walk everyday around and kick people's butt. for instance my last incident was over 2 years ago and my bro's one over 3 years ago and since then we both didn't had a single one till that day. you don't know me in real life but am known as a very friendly, helpful and happy person and the same goes for my bro. the only problem we have is that if someone mess with our families or look for troubles we're always ready to fight back.

while your point of view is totally correct theoretically practically is not always the way to go. at least not in certain situations. for instance if a guy try to harm your family or even you, calling the police and waiting till they appear will be probably to late and probably until they reach your door step you will have to watch how your family get beaten or even worst killed. in our case we don't wait until that happen since we would never forgive us not to protect our families and while many people get covered by fear in such situations in our case we get covered by the will to protect and defend those important to us even if that could cost us our lives.

Kickboxing is one of the arts i love most followed by jujutsu. and yes i practiced the modern system but atm am not active anymore.

Yes, avoiding conflicts is the way to go and calling the manager would've been a better idea so i totally agree with you there. so that's something to work on :thumb:

In my case my family is very close to me :)
  13. niku

niku niku

in my case that guys gonna be carried back home in at least two pieces.