Mednafen, is there a way to play this shit?

Discussion in 'Misc PSX Discussion' started by rafaelancas, Nov 16, 2015.

1. rafaelancas

rafaelancas New Member

Trying real hard to use this emulator but it refuses to work, tried everything, many roms, naming, renaming, I'm running the most recent version on a windows 7 x64
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Exos

Exos New Member

Yeah, through bizhawk.
  4. Sir_Tuttles

Sir_Tuttles New Member

From my experience you should be able to just drag and drop any supported file format ( .bin/.cue, .nes, etc... ) onto 'mednafen.exe' and it will launch the emulator.

If it doesn't, there should be a file in Mednafen's directory named 'stdout.txt'

Reading that file should give you a hint at what might be going wrong!
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  5. papermanzero

papermanzero New Member

6. GPDP

GPDP Member

The RetroArch fork IMO is superior to the standalone version. As of late, it's gotten all kinds of nifty improvements over the original, including widescreen and higher resolution rendering.

[​IMG]

It can actually go up to 8x internal res, but the game turns into a slideshow since it's fully software-rendered, so it's only good for pretty screenshots. 4x requires a top of the line CPU. 2x is manageable on many modern machines, though. Looks a lot better than Pete's OpenGL plugins IMO.
  7. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

yea I recommend you just get retroarch to use this emulator.
  8. shinra358

shinra358 Member

retroarch is just as complicated and convoluted as mednafen xD
    I do like it that it has hotplugging support for everything though.
  9. Exos

Exos New Member

Yeah I also highly recommend checking out the retroarch libretro fork of this emu. It comes with cpu overclocking which makes a lot of previously unplayable games to me actually enjoyable this time. E.g. Driver 2 which has a terrible framerate dropping under 20 frames many times. After a cpu overclock there's a huge improvement to a nearly constant 30 fps lock. It doesn't only affect the fluency but also the whole game controls feels much more tight and enjoyable to play.
  10. dpence

dpence New Member

been playing around with bizhawk and gotta say I really like the PS emulation... it's pretty dang accurate adn feels like playing a real psx... the graphics are spot on... I can get full screen 4x3 aspect and I doubt it would look any different than firing up the PS through the composite input.. never tried retroarch, will have to give it a go too...