Metal Gear Solid OGL config

Discussion in 'PSX Plugin Questions & Troubleshooting' started by hushypushy, Aug 12, 2006.

1. hushypushy

hushypushy <font color=#FFFFFF><b>the only one you've ever SE Contributors

Well, Shendo finally prodded me to do this. I see way too many people stuck on MGS, not being able to play it because of skipping, poor sound, things like that. I beat MGS: Integral using the settings below and now I'll share with you.

emulator: PSXeven 0.19 (but, i think ePSXe works too)

graphics: Pete's OpenGL (not OGL2!!). I'm a huge fan of OGL2. I wanted to get my sexy OGL2 performance (especially for those framebuffer effects) but it's lacking one important thing that i found--PC FPS calculation! look closely:

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.1.76
    Author: Pete Bernert

Resolution/Color:
    - 640x480 Window mode
    [32 Bit]- Keep psx aspect ratio: off

Textures:
    - R8G8B8A8
    - Filtering: 0
    - Hi-Res textures: 0
    - VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
    - FPS limitation: on
    - Frame skipping: off
    - FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
    - Offscreen drawing: 2
    - Framebuffer texture: 2
    - Framebuffer access: 0
    - Alpha multipass: on
    - Mask bit: on
    - Advanced blending: on

Misc:
    - Scanlines: off
    - Line mode: off
    - Unfiltered FB: off
    - 15 bit FB: off
    - Dithering: off
    - Screen smoothing: off
    - Screen cushion: off
    - Game fixes: on [00000080]

The most important part there is the PC FPS Calculation special game fix. Check that, and you're already 90% there.

Sound: Eternal 1.41. try SPUasync-->Smooth and put on the MGS special game fix. if you're getting sk-sk-skipping or lag/desync, lower the buffer. if it sounds all crackly, raise it. the default is fine but change it if you need to. if your CPU is slower than 1ghz, use Eternal Lite.

IMPORTANT MGS NOTE: Never, and I mean never ever, use save states with MGS. Go ahead and try it, it'll mess up gameplay and ruin everything. As long as you stick to memory card saves, you'll be fine.

Yeah, it's that simple. The "MGS mystery" is solved. Have fun with MGS :)
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Shendo

Shendo Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thanks, it is just what I was looking for ;).
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
  4. NightDemon

NightDemon New Member

Hmm...now thats strange - with these setting the videos run perfectly BUT on Windows 98 oO . Maybe the problem with the no showing MTG videos is some issue with the Windows XP :( .
  5. Shendo

I doubt, MGS is working fine here on win Xp... try different versions of driver as I suggested in the other thread.
    Or you can try to play the game in some other psx emulator (PSXeven,PCSX,SSSPSX, pSX...)
  6. hushypushy

could be something with your drivers and XP.
  7. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

I have never used PC FPS Calculation and MGS works and looked fine to me
  8. Shendo

Well it looks the same, and it works, but you can get some nasty slowdowns even if the fps is right (50 pal/60 ntsc).
  9. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

never had the slowdown either :p
  10. hushypushy

if you use the ePSXe sound plugin it will work fine, but the sound will be crappy.

we went over this a long time ago yelo, and i never got it to work right, i always thought you were full of crap ;)

and then I-Chan gave me a special Eternal config that worked--but there were still slowdowns in some parts.

PC FPS calc fixed all that. and 2/2/0 makes the framebuffer stuff look fine.

Raziel beat FF9 using ePSXe 1.6.0 and he didnt get the famous crashes, i take that (and your MGS story) as the exception rather than the rule ;)
  11. misterhektik

misterhektik New Member

I can't seem to get my sound to work right. I've tried using ePSXe and PSXEven, both do the same. It gets really choppy when people start talking. I've tried changing the buffer from 20-100, and it still sounds the same. Kinda sounds like the sound starts overlapping itself. Any thoughts?

Setup, if you need:
    AMD Athlon 2600+ (1.9ghz)
    Geforce 6600 GT / latest drivers
    1.5gb ram
    Win XP

Anyways, thanks for the setup hushypushy.
  12. hushypushy

is the PC FPS calc special game fix on in your graphics plugin? and the MGS fixes in Eternal?
  13. misterhektik

misterhektik New Member

Yes, both fixes are on. I should probably mention that the sound is slightly better in PSXEven. For example, the stuttering begins much later in PSXEven than in ePSXe, both using the same exact settings. Weird :S
  14. hushypushy

well, i used PSXeven to beat it so...

im not sure if it will make a difference, but in PSXeven go to config-->advanced and under PSXeven options, try switching the CPU mode to translator or interpreter (whichever is different than what you have now).
  15. misterhektik

misterhektik New Member

That didn't work either. I've settled for using Pete's P.E.Op.S 1.9 driver. The guns sound a little weird, but at least I can hear sweet Mei Ling's voice :D
  16. DarkZero123

DarkZero123 New Member

When i go underwater, theres a black screen with multipul lines, and i can't see anything to navigate :(.. i have all the settings EXACT.. What else can i do? I don't know if i can beat the game w/o being able to see underwater.
  17. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 &-)---|--< Staff Member

MGS has always had this issue. The PC FPS calc fixes it, but the mdecs were all screwed. Unless it's been fixed since last I played it(2 years ago). I did find that Lewpy's Glide pluggin's "mixed" fps calc option fixed it and even got the mdecs running properly. On my V5 5500 of course. ;)

Later on, I also found that PCSX also played MGS with the correct speed without the fix. But it was less advanced as Epsxe then.
  18. hushypushy

MDECs worked fine when i played it, fivefeet8. i didn't even bother with ePSXe, i went straight to PSXeven.

i did try it with my voodoo2 a couple years back, Lewpy's Glide plays it perfectly--and looks sexy too :wub:
  19. JereTHEend

JereTHEend New Member

When i use PC calculation, game just SLOOOOWs down to 25 fps, so i dumb it out... i hope i get it work too...
  20. Shendo

lol, what did you expect that PC fps calculation would bring you 60 fps?
    I thought that the name of the fix says everything...

btw: try running fraps with PC fps calculation turned off. hm...
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  21. JereTHEend

JereTHEend New Member

running game that is sposed to be in 50 FPS in 25 fps, itll never work, and what that last sentence meaned??