Missing Render Texture-Extension Help

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by NikkiHolcomb, Sep 2, 2012.

1. NikkiHolcomb

NikkiHolcomb New Member

Okay, so I only registered on this forum so that I could resolve this issue, and I've tried looking at other threads similar to my issue but to be honest, I'm really dumb as **** when it comes to technological things and the only way I was able to even install ePSXe is because I watched a nice youtube video with simple instructions.

So here's the issue. When I run ePSXe (by clicking run ISO, and the ISO file I'm using is Spyro - a Hero's Tail) the screen is black for a few seconds, and then my screen resolution resets. Here's a screencap of what it looks like.

[​IMG]

It comes up with the error displayed above, and then shifts to the error 'No pixel format available'.

This is all very frustrating because I want to return to my damn childhood and play me some Spyro, which I thought would be a simple process but obviously not.

So as previously mentioned, I've tried to find other threads on this and found a few, but I couldn't understand anything anyone was talking about because, again, I'm not smart in technological language and I don't even know what a driver is. Before you go off thinking 'oh lol what a dumbass sux 4 u', I've had no reason to ever even understand what half of these things mean. So please try to explain it in an extremely dumbed-down version, I guess?

Any and all help is appreciated, and thanks so much in advance.
    rube likes this.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Squall-Leonh@rt

Squall-Leonh@rt Maybe I'm a Lion

use pbuffer in the Render To Texture menu
    rube likes this.
  4. NikkiHolcomb

NikkiHolcomb New Member

You're gonna have to elaborate.
  5. Shendo

Shendo R3000 Staff Member Moderator

Do you know your PC (laptop?) specs? If yes post them here.
    Btw, just out of curiosity, is that Windows 8 RP or Win 7 with a skin?
  6. NikkiHolcomb

NikkiHolcomb New Member

I kind of know my PC specs, and yes that's Windows 8.

But here's another issue. I've fixed the 'missing-render texture extension thing' and now when I launch the game (I'm still using the ISO) it loads, a black screen for a few seconds, and pops up with this in the right hand corner.

[​IMG]

It doesn't come off or fade or go to another black screen, it just sits there. I have no idea what this means or how to fix it.
  7. equilibriator

equilibriator New Member

if its same as me you just give it a minute, but thats assuming you havent tried the obvious and just waited :p
  8. jonc2006

jonc2006 God of Douchebagness™

isnt that a PS2 game?
  9. Dax

Dax ライチュウ|タオ

Indeed it is. Perhaps the OP is mistaken? If not, then you need to use a different emulator, namely PCSX2..
  10. Squall-Leonh@rt

PS2 and GameCube
  11. lagunareturns

lagunareturns Active Member

if there is a missing render extension error then you dont have drivers that have opengl support.... it is a known issue with windows 8 where drivers for windows 7 dont install the opengl extensions, probably microsoft blocked them on purpose....

either get windows 8 drivers from manufacturer and if it still doesnt come with opengl support then find hacked drivers that enable the support otherwise it you have to use direct x or software rendering
    rube likes this.
  12. NikkiHolcomb

NikkiHolcomb New Member

Well I'm done with waiting when the wait goes over the five minute mark.

I tried to do PCSX2 but I couldn't figure out how to run an ISO on it.
  13. Squall-Leonh@rt

and so you tried to run a ps2 game in a psx emulator?
  14. NikkiHolcomb

NikkiHolcomb New Member

I honestly had no idea that ePSXe was a psx emulator tbh. When I previously played the original three Spyros (which I now know are for the original playstation) they worked fine so I assumed the PS2 games would work on ePSXe as well, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I've fixed the 'Missing Render-Extension' issue, and I just honestly don't know what to do from there. I have PCSX2, and I don't know how to set everything up or even how to work it. I seem to have the plugins running fine, and I've figured out how to launch an ISO file from the program, but the screen is just black.
  15. bigash64

bigash64 New Member

I'm having the same problem... ''MISSING RENDER-TEXT EXTENSIONS'' .... and then the pixel error message aswell ... i'm trying to play digimon world... i too am an absolute thicky so i need things spelling out to me with stuff like this... HELP ... starting to get really frustrated !!!
  16. rube

rube New Member

How did you fix the missing render thing if I may ask?
  17. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 &-)---|--< Staff Member

Do what Squall had suggested:

"use pbuffer in the Render To Texture menu" located in the Video config menu of the emulator