my best config, OGL2, FF9

Discussion in 'PSX Plugin Questions & Troubleshooting' started by hushypushy, Jul 31, 2004.

1. hushypushy

hushypushy <font color=#FFFFFF><b>the only one you've ever SE Contributors

This thread is for the discussion of OGL2 settings for Final Fantasy IX. If you are having a problem NOT regarding these settings (game is running too fast, too slow, doesn't work at all), get out of this thread. If you aren't sure whether you should use OGL2, get out of this thread. This thread is for the config itself and the discussion about it.

If your question is "my FF9 doesn't run right when I use your config" then leave this thread immediately. Make your own thread.

If your question is related to a particular setting in my config, or you want to make a suggestion (or add your own config), then post it in this thread.

If you disobey any of those rules, you're looking at a ban. It only takes 20 seconds to read what I just posted, there's absolutely no excuse.

well i realized that after playing FF9 all the way through, giving advice to people on how to configure for FF9, and even helping Pete develop a tiny bit of OGL2 (my name got into the readme for fixing a small bug)...i never made a formal guide on it.

this is ONLY for OGL2. if you want OGL, go to this thread. keep all the OGL2 discussion in here, and OGL discussion in there.

BIG BIG BIG REALLY IMPORTANT PART!! you must use either ePSXe 1.5.2, PSXeven, SSSPSX or PCSX. i cant guarantee as good of results with any other emulators, and i can pretty much guarantee crashes if you use ePSXe 1.6.0 (unless you're Raziel :p [don't ask])

SECONDARY BIG IMPORTANT PART!
    OGL2 is not for everyone. before you read any further, and especially before you post, make sure your computer actually can use OGL2. if your graphics card is not one of the following cards or better, please leave this thread.

Recommended graphics cards:

• Geforce 4 Ti (NOT MX)
    • Geforce FX (5600 or higher)
    • Geforce 6xxx/7xxx
    • Radeon 9500 or higher
    • Radeon 1xxxx

yes, it's possible to run OGL2 on a different graphics card. however, i can't guarantee any results, and if you use anything else (even using the GF4 actually) you won't be able to use this thread's settings to the fullest.

alright, so now you know what emulator you should be using and if your graphics card can handle it. if you've made it this far, good, read on.

Sound: Eternal or Eternal Lite. just check off the FF9 fix and leave everything at default, i find no reason to change.

CD: Peops. this is EXTREMELY important. when i went through testing i was wondering why my FMVs would ALWAYS hover at 37-45 fps. well, i was using Sapu's and i had it just autoconfigure. that works great for most games, but i found in games with FMVs, you'll need a properly configured cd plugin.
    [​IMG]

these are my settings. unfortunately, CD settings dont work the same for everyone. just FYI i'm using a Lite-On SOHW-832S DVD+/-RW drive. it doesn't matter that much--i'd say just pick IOCTL SCSI reading, autodetect the mode, then check off those other boxes. you should be safe.

if you are going to be playing a lot of PSX games, i suggest using Nero Drivespeed and turning off drive spindown. this way, you wont get that little lag when the drive has to spin up again. alternatively, you can make an ISO. this way, you can avoid all the crap i've said about CD configuring and just enjoy the game.

IMPORTANT FOR PAL USERS!: you will need to use a PPF patch or make an ISO with subchannel data to play this game. else, it will not load due to copy protection. Lord Kane has more details at his site [edit: crap, the site is down and has been for a while. well just search around this site, there are lots of threads about PPF crap].

Graphics: ah yes, here's what you've been waiting for--the important part.

[​IMG]

i recommend a multiple of 320x240 for your game playing, BUT to tell you the truth it only matters to a close eye. casual gamers should be fine with any res. i say, go as high as you can before you get slowdown. as you can see, i use weird, non 320x240/4x3 resolutions. they are 5x4, which is the native aspect of my monitor (a 17" LCD). Pete has a new feature in there, "try to keep pixel ratio" which i love. it lets me play a 4x3 ratio in fullscreen. if you do that though, you have to make your windowed a custom ratio (notice mine is 640x512, which is 5x4).

i like texture filtering at 0 and hi-res textures at 0 because i like it, well, natural. i had texture filtering at 4 before, because it makes the polygons nice and smooth (like in characters) and it keeps the floor/ground looking good at the world map and in battle. use what you like, however, i never used filtering at 5 or 6 because it created a massive slowdown in menus for some reason. that was back on the FX5600 which was kind of a POS so i dunno about now.

Internal resolutions should be kept both at 2 if you have a GeForce FX or GeForce 6xxx. recently, there is an ultra high Y--try it at your own risk ;) this is also appropriate for Geforce4 Ti(NOT MX). if you experience slowdowns, turn it to 2/1, 1/2, or 1/1. if you have any ATi videocard that's x850XT and lower, you'll need to turn set the Internal X to 1, else it wont run. if you have a geforce4 and XP, you'll need to turn the GF4 crash fix on.

set graphics card V-ram to whatever yours is. mine is at 128 because that's what i have :)

framebuffer effects are at 3 because there is a slight pause at certain places (before and after battle) if you dont have it on.

screen filtering looks mighty pretty. try flipping it on and off during the game and you'll see a noticeable change in text.

notice that i didnt use shaders. but hey, if you want to mess with shaders, go for it.

this config is by no means perfect--it's just my best shot. suggestions/corrections/showings of appreciation are always welcome. this config runs beautifully, smoothly, and full speed at all times on my system, which is why i like it. i just though i'd share it with everyone here at emuforums. so, enjoy :yippee:

EDIT: well i got my 6800. i just checked this thread and (yikes!) the picture is down. like before, ill upload it to the board and im rehosting it at imageshack. dual protection ;) embarassingly, i can't remember my old config. i THINK this is what it was. i hope someone confirms it.

EDIT 1/16: i just realized the picture is down for the CD plugin too. doh! uploaded at imageshack and here, just in case.

EDIT 1/21: remember hi-res textures at stretched? if you want the world map and such to look nice, turn this off.

EDIT 6/15: Benool pointed out that GF4s can use Very high X and Y. oops, my bad, i had said they didnt. i FINALLY updated my picture to reflect my actual settings. finally! it now has the use pixel shader option checked. Lastly, i realized that PSXeven is a damn good emulator! Sorry for the bad treatment all these years, Xeven.

EDIT 8/7: due to the fact that SSSPSX is coming up in the world (they even mentioned they specificially fixed the FF9 at Dali problem..) I've added it to the "you can use these" list. I added PCSX also.

EDIT 8/26: i guess i fell behind the times....i had it said Radeon 9xxx cant support very high X, well neither can the X series. so, that's added in. no ATi card ever made can support very high X ;)

EDIT 10/09: reworded the intro to make it more fair to SSSPSX and PCSX.

EDIT 2/15: added a new pic and revised some of the info to cover Ultra High Y, stretching mode, and my goofy resolution. took out keep PSX aspect ratio because that is covered in stretching mode, and redid the part on texture filtering because that was way outdated. changed the ATi part a little because i heard the newest ATi crap can run very high X now. i need to word it a little better, but for now it's ok.

EDIT 6/24: ok, i made a thing that lists what cards you should have, so people will stop coming in and posting problems with using OGL2 on Intel cards or whatever.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. n_w95482

n_w95482 Gone Contributors

Great work :thumb:. Your efforts are much appreciated :).
  4. Razor Blade

Razor Blade Locked and Loaded Staff Member Moderator

Indeed. That is a crazy/long post :p I'm gonna have to try this out.
  5. hushypushy

well, i try. i'm hoping this will clear up some problems when people come in and say "i have a 1337 system and i want FF9 to look orgasmic etc".

PS. in the works are chrono cross, MGS, and HOPEFULLY i'll have enough balls to put together an FF8 guide (i've never gotten that game to work right...maybe one day i'll get it together)
  6. Razor Blade

Razor Blade Locked and Loaded Staff Member Moderator

Can't wait for all your awsome guides :) :thumb:
  7. TheMaister

TheMaister Go-player 15 kyu ^^

Ah! I loved your FF7 config, and this is just freakin' awesome! With Radeon 9800 Pro this should work nice! Can you post some screenshots of gameplay?
  8. hushypushy

hey, i should. my hdd died so all my memory cards are gone....but let's see i have 1 screenshot here. however, i do have a few shots (For now). check out the big shot from Treno---no AA in use at all...but that's the beauty of Very High X and Y :D also, check out the faces on the people...very nice indeed.

the other 2 shots are a comparison between texture filtering and no texture filtering. one is filtering at 0, other at 6.

PS. sorry for ugly JPG compression.
  9. TheMaister

wow... irritating that Radeon can't use that Very high X thing.. But hey, the custom shaders makes up for that.
  10. hushypushy

yeah, that's one upside. shaders go amazingly slow (and i cant even see their effects most of the time oO ) so that's where you have an advantage. however, i havent seen anyone try OGL2 with a 6800. when i get my 6800 i'll be very anxious to try it out
  11. TheMaister

Perfect config, FF IX OpenGL2 ATI

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.6
    Author: Pete Bernert
    Card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
    GFX card: RADEON 9800 Pro x86/SSE2

Resolution/Color:
    - 1280x1024 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing
    - Internal X resolution: 1
    - Internal Y resolution: 2
    - Keep psx aspect ratio: on
    - No render-to-texture: off

- Filtering: 2 (Very Important to make the text much easier to read.)
    - Hi-Res textures: 0
    - TexWin pixel shader: on
    - VRam size: 128 MBytes

Framerate:
    - FPS limitation: on
    - Frame skipping: off
    - FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
    - Offscreen drawing: 1
    - Framebuffer effects: 3
    - Framebuffer uploads: 1

If your PC tend to slow down with FE=3, try these:

-OD: 0
    -FE: 1
    -FU: 1
    (You will not get pauses in the battletransition...)

Misc:
    - Scanlines: off
    - Mdec filter: on
    - Screen filtering: on
    - Shader effects: 3/4 (Pseudo Median)/ 4: To make the graphics shoother, use the shaders.

- Flicker-fix border size: 3 (Depends. If you get flickers in the edge of the picture, use this.)

- GF4/XP crash fix: off
    - Game fixes: off [00000000]

Sound: Check hushypushy's/Kane's config for nVidia.
    CD-Rom: Same as above...
  12. TheMaister

Some screens.
  13. hushypushy

merged with my "main" thread.

nice looking settings--i see you put some shader action in there. i dont quite agree with filtering at 2 because it blurs the entire screen (i was actually messing around with the filtering settings the other day). but im sure someone will find it helpful :thumb:
  14. TheMaister

Hmm... The Filtering at 2 makes the text much easier to read though.
    I like the text to be "readable". Anyways, I get 180 FPS in battle with these settings.
    No slowdowns and such.
  15. hushypushy

i dont like that....hm...cut off? type look of the text. i dont really know how to explain it.
  16. Talbain

Talbain Moo.

It seems like textures rendered with 3D become very high resolution, while 2D textures remain ugly. Doesn't contrast very well. Perhaps some smoothing might help. As I've never used a hardware based plugin, I probably wouldn't know though.
  17. hushypushy

well the backgrounds are pretty low res...if you want em smoothed out you can use shaders or something.
  18. BeNooL

BeNooL New Member

With all due respect, I have to correct you on the fact that you *CAN* use very high X & Y on Geforce 4 cards, provided you use old drivers like the Detonator 53.03 (which are one of the recommanded set for this series of card anyway).

And it runs pretty fast, hitting 80+ fps in battle without fps limiter.

To prove it see attachements :)
    Otherwise very nice looking settings ! This boosts my motivation to play this game again in the near future...
  19. hushypushy

oh, i knew you could use very high on both of em. i just didnt write it. oO i dont know why i said put them both to 1...very strange. i had heard that putting very high X to 2 caused slowdown...

it should've said Y at 2 and X at 1...but per your suggestion, i will change it ;)
  20. TheMaister

BeNooL: A french version?! oO Nice.

Anyways, it is impossible to get perfect graphics in PSX-emulation. (Especially the FFs)
    The original resolution is 320x240, (or something like that) and it's nothing we can do about it...
    You'll have to choose: Nice looking, sharp 3D-models, but blocky text and background.
    Or you can choose to have great backgrounds and text and blurred 3D-models.
    At least that's what I think. If it was possible to combine Filtering modus 2 and 4, that would be great. (I hope Pete's reading. Heh.)
  21. hushypushy

i dunno, if you want smoothed out backgrounds just use shaders :rolleyes:

personally, i like my settings, i like the "authentic" feel of it all...but the smoothed out characters looks nice.