MY DREAM INTERVIEW WITH MICROSOFT!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by laserjohn, Oct 6, 2016.

1. laserjohn

laserjohn Aim 4 the stars...

Everyone! Microsoft came to my university 2 weeks ago. I interviewed with them in the career fair. I got an email saying that they want to go ahead with interviews. They're coming back on the 13th. I've scheduled my interview on that day, too.

blueshogun96 ... I'm SOOOO excited @_@... It's my dream company!!!

I pray I do well and God graces me to get that SD internship!

(Also, just crossed the 300 posts mark. Anyone wanna have a beer with me? =D)
    DinJerr, Kellicros, Samor and 2 others like this.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Congrats, hope it turns out well for you :).
  4. Kaizen

Kaizen Yes Award Winner!

SD?
  5. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

You start at the SD internship and if you perform well you end up in the HD division, the elites eventually reach the 4k status.
    DinJerr and laserjohn like this.
  6. laserjohn

Software Development

I lol'd..... ='D
  7. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

Good luck! hope everything goes as you plan/wish ;)
    laserjohn likes this.
  8. laserjohn

9. blueshogun96

blueshogun96 Shadow of nothing... Staff Member Moderator Emu Author

First of all, what position are you going for? My biggest advice is to do your homework on the position you are interviewing for. Make sure that you do some research and show interest and enthusiasm. As an intern, you aren't very experienced professionally, so you really have to demonstrate your skill. If this is for a dev position, then definitely get ready for a whiteboard test if you get an in person interview. It's VERY rare that they skip that, and in my experience, you have to nail it on the very first try as well as demonstrate your ability to problem solve. I hate whiteboarding as it's very old school and doesn't effectively prove how good you are, but it's inevitable in most cases.

On that note, don't fall into the same trap I did. Know your data structures, know how to efficiently traverse through a linked list, binary tree, and hashing algos (how to use std::map or std::unordered_map), depending on the language you are required to code in. And if you can, have code samples ready to go.

Once again, it's easier to direct you if I know what you'll be doing. If you want, PM me and I'll give you my MS email and alias. That way you can catch me on business skype or maybe even conference me on a Surface Hub if your building has one.

Shogun.
  10. DianaHM

DianaHM New Member

It is so nice to hear that news. I am really glad for you. Good luck.
  11. RedLion

RedLion Better be better than yesterday

So ? How was it ? Did the interview finish like this:

[​IMG]

? :p
  12. laserjohn

oh, hello there! We don't get new members too often. I'm truly surprised =D... what brings a fine lady like you to these here abandoned parts de la internet? =)

>>Smooth moves in progress. Note to other members: Do not interupt.
    >> J.K

LOL.... did you make it?

So, by God's Grace, it went really well. I arrived 15 minutes before the interview. I was promptly called in at the turn of the hour, precisely when I had fixed my interview appointment. He spent the first 10 minutes blazing through my resume and research. He then spent the next 20 minutes asking me 2 algorithmic/data structure related questions, each of both having 2 variations; 4 questions in total. He asked me to write compile ready code for it as well. He asked me space and efficiency questions. By God's Grace, I was able to answer everything right.

They said that they'd let me know if I make it to the next round in 2 weeks. If I do, the next (last set of) rounds will be at Microsoft's HQ at Redmont, Washington! I'm praying for this... I'll keep you guys updated!

@blueshogun96, have you been to HQ? If so, what's it like? <dreamy eyes>
    Silenus likes this.
  13. Hy-Def

Hy-Def Chubbychu. (AKA Pikachu-bby (AKA Pikachu-BBW))

Good work, Mr. Laser John.

I really do hope you get the place.

Once again... Good work sir.
  14. blueshogun96

blueshogun96 Shadow of nothing... Staff Member Moderator Emu Author

I don't know what building is considered HQ. There's tons of buildings over the Microsoft campus so I don't know

Shogun.
  15. laserjohn

@blueshogun96, I've sent you a PM!

Everyone!.... By God's Grace, I've been selected for the final round of interviews!!!!
    Silenus, @ruantec and Hy-Def like this.
  16. Hy-Def

Hy-Def Chubbychu. (AKA Pikachu-bby (AKA Pikachu-BBW))

Congratulations! I have faith in you, mate!
  17. @ruantec

Congrats and good luck bro!
  18. laserjohn

(Quotes are not verbatim)

Decemember 1:
    Me:
    *no reply*

January 8th:
    I cried so much that night. I didn't even get a chance to have my final interview. I didn't fail. I just... I don't know.

@blueshogun96 ... What do I do now. Please advise. I need to talk to you. I don't think you've come around NGemu lately.
  19. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

I think it's alright. If you managed to get the first step in, you'll be likely to shine and get gratified at smaller places (startups?) than be just another unnoticed worker at MS.

Big companies don't hold many interviews because they keep past candidacies prioritized when positions open. Interviews basically serve for multiple hiring rounds, not just the first/only one you participated in. Beyond handing the resume and getting interviewed, it's good to diversify your work history, even if its just doing internships here and there. It really helps pad the resume and get noticed by HR, especially if you're looking for an eventul managerial position.

Whatever you do, I'd suggest to also attend on the side 'networking' occasions (professional meetups, conferences...). It helps make useful contacts and open opportunities, and you'll secure more visibility than when you compete against 2000 candidacies the HR manager has to pick from.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  20. @ruantec

Sad to hear it didn't worked out for you and i really sorry. However, remember for the rest of your life that by any means you should NOT postpone a interview no matter what and most importantly if you past the first round. You not just give a bad impression(believe me that's how they see it and how i would see it in their situation) but they will throw your info to the bin and pick up the next. I totally understand your situation but NEVER do that again if you want a job. Prepare yourself and end anything you have first before trying.