My start menu list is gone. Any solution?

Discussion in 'Software Discussion' started by JohnLai, Apr 10, 2006.

1. JohnLai

JohnLai New Member

This is the screenshot. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4544/mydesktop6rl.jpg

My start menu list is gone after the computer went blue screen of death:hdbash: . No matter how many programs I run, its just don't appear on the list. I already reboot a lot of time and check the 'Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" such as clear list and change the number of programs on start menu.:cry: The all programs don't display the submenus when I paused my mouse on it too even I checked the 'open submenus" thing at the start menu properties . Is there anything that can fix the problem?
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. The Captain

The Captain Crono! Wake up!

That's easy to fix. Just reformat your hd and reinstall windows. Don't you just love M$oft?
  4. industrian

industrian Some Scottish Guy

I've got the same problem. I've learned to live with it though.

Captain: Seriously? Damn. Well ... my annual reboot is coming soon anyways.
  5. refraction

refraction PCSX2 Coder Contributors Award Winner!

i dont suffer from this problem, i totally hate the new style start menu, so ive got the classic style on ;)
  6. JohnLai

JohnLai New Member

=_= Well....so that mean there is no other solution except reformat? I still like new style...
  7. UniverseJDJ

UniverseJDJ New Member

That's just a list of programs you've recently run. Whenever I clear the usage data from my computer, it becomes like that. Once I run some programs, it's fine.
  8. JohnLai

JohnLai New Member

I had run a lot of program....really a lot..and it just don't appear anymore...T_T. Really need help.. I still prefer the new xp style...
  9. MrTeressaBond

MrTeressaBond Banned

i have a serious problem with my computer.

first of all, we obviously have different accounts, all of the them are fine, except for one thats my sister uses.

the problem is that her menu list has dissapeared, and her desktop image has gone aswell.

also, everytime she right-clicks on an item, the whole computer freezes, and you wil get a message something like "DrWatsons PostMerton Degugger" something like that. and u will click on Dont Send button, and it will do nothing. and the only way to escape it from freezing was to press CTL+ALT+DEL and go to the process, and end process drwin32.exe or something similar.

after that, the whole computer releases, but again, it will happen again if u do the same thing.

and...alot of the shortcuts that appeared on her desktop has disapeared, and once u click on Resfresh wen right-clicking the background, only once it will jumble al the other items on the desktop to a certain order it likes. ) by the way, the only right-click u can do is right-click on the desktop, no-more)

lastly, wen u double click on pictures, they usually open with 'Windoes Fax Viewer'. we prefer this, but all of a sudden it doesnt anymore, it opens with the next best thing, and as i said, u can even right-click on anything to resolve the problem.

This only affects her account, all the rest is fine, the pc is a tiny bit slower than usual, and i have done a full system scan with NAV2005, with the recent updates from 5 days ago, and i use Webroot Spysweeper, with the latest definations aswell, and the computer is clean as a whistle.

i really dont understand what the hel this is.

sorry if my post is long, i really need help, as the main topic was something similar to the situation of mine.
  10. KillerShots

KillerShots War Games coder

MrTeressaBond, your problem is relatively easy to solve. Back up her "My Documents" folder, remove her account, and create a new one for her. Then restore her documents. You may also want to look at backing up any internet favorites, etc.

Lucky for you that you use separate accounts - you shouldn't have to re-install anything.

JohnLai - Wow, that's a new one on me... so your "All Programs" link has disappeared, and now you can't access any of your programs (at all) unless you manually activate them... wow.

One thing I can suggest is that you attempt to re-build your "All Programs" directory structure. Only attempt this after running a scandisk (it may automatically restore you). Check under %SYSTEM_DRIVE%\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Start Menu\Programs. If the last couple of directories don't exist, make them. Then start making short cuts to your programs. If your lucky, your add/remove programs is still working and you can still get by by doing this.
  11. MrTeressaBond

MrTeressaBond Banned

oh right.

but would u know how to go into their account through the Hard-Drive when they made it into a 'Private' account. so noone can access it through another account?

would anyone know how to 'un-private' the account?
  12. KillerShots

It sounds like the account should be functional enough (barely) to have her do it through her own account. Just use the keyboard shortcuts instead of right-clicks to do the copying and pasting (CTRL-C for copy, CTRL-V for paste).

Best I can suggest if that doesn't work is to look at the windows help (start->help->private account). Also, if you're linux-savvy, just pop in a knoppix disc and read it - linux does not honor Windows private folders.

Also, someone else may be able to help more if they knew exactly what version of windows you're running (for all I know, it's windows 3.1, which isn't capable of half of what I'd suggested above).

EDIT: Another thing... just to be safe, you may want to try the knoppix cd approach first... it's possible she installed a virus that trashed her user account. Because she doesn't have administrator access, she can't (easily) trash the rest of the machine (and consequently, neither can the hypothetical virus)... but if there is one, I'd be leary about letting it run while attempting to do anything (especially while trying to back up important data). Best to capture her data while running in a known-clean environment.
  13. JohnLai

JohnLai New Member

T__T still don't work for me..The frequently accessed program list don't appear at all while my all programs submenus can be opened when I left click on it.
  14. MrTeressaBond

MrTeressaBond Banned

she is a Administrator account aswell. but as i said, the PC is abit slow.
  15. MT

MT Active Member Contributors

I think the same, I don't fight against viruses or windows problems. I simply reformat my hd. It gives me less headache.
  16. KillerShots

Heh, my mistake. I took one look at the picture, and the first thing I saw was the the "All Programs" button was missing. Taking another look, it's exactly where it's supposed to be. Oops :laugh: . Not sure how I'd go about attempting to have Windows auto-build the frequently accessed programs list.
    Hmm... then if it's a virus, it's already everywhere. If not... do as I suggested above and have her back her own files up. It's that or re-format (and if it's a virus with admin rights, re-format may be the correct answer).
  17. masque

masque New Member

why are we trying to answer two unrelated questions in one thread?

@JohnLai

I'd try first switching to "classic" start menu and then switching back. You never know...

Also, rightclick on the start menu, click properties. Click the start menu tab, and go to customize start menu. See if the number of programs on the start menu is set to 0. That might be your problem.

See Screenshot if you need visual aid.
  18. JohnLai

JohnLai New Member

Err...I already tried switching to classic and then switching back and it didn't work. I also had check if the number of the start menu is set to 0. I am outta idea....
  19. masque

masque New Member

I'm not sure which process the start menu is attached to (I'm almost certain it's explorer.exe) but you could try copying that file off your original windows disc, if you've got it, into your windows folder. The best way to do this is by starting a dos prompt, then using taskmgr to shut down explorer.exe, then replacing the explorer.exe file in the windows directory (BACKUP!!!). I used this technique to salvage a virus-infected PC once.

You'll want to manually reapply any windows patches that affected explorer.exe (any hints, anyone?) after you do this, to prevent security holes.

If this doesnt work I'm stumped.
  20. UniverseJDJ

UniverseJDJ New Member

I really don't like to reformat. I'll just install XP into another directory then remove all traces of the old one on the HDD and the boot.ini.
  21. JohnLai

JohnLai New Member

Masque, the list still don't appear after I replaced the explorer.exe from my another computer.