N0$gba freeze - pokemone emerald

Discussion in 'No$GBA Discussion' started by cambam33, May 23, 2010.

1. cambam33

cambam33 New Member

im playing Pokemon emerald on no$gba and i finish battling archie and he goe son about the red orb then text comes up "The RED ORB suddenly began shining by itself!" and kyogre doesn't flee it just sits there frozen sounds stops but the water still moves i press all the buttons and nothing happens :( help please im stuck and i tried converting the save file to vba format but when i try to open the save file it says Unsupported VisualBoyAdvance Save Game version 131720
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. HellWolf

HellWolf New Member

Hi, I am experiencing the same problem... it looks like this is not very common. Anyone can help?
  4. Squall-Leonh@rt

Squall-Leonh@rt Maybe I'm a Lion

put core type to realtime auto
  5. HellWolf

HellWolf New Member

Actually, it is already like that... Please have a look at my settings below: is there something I should change?
  6. Squall-Leonh@rt

those settings are all fine, so i can't see why you would be having this problem.

have you been using save states frequently?

this can build up dirty memory over time, so you should save normally and load from battery backup from time to time.
  7. HellWolf

HellWolf New Member

Well, yes... I used save states frequently as I thought it would have been a good idea to use both of the methods each time, just to be sure.

It is strange that I am experiencing the same problem as that user who opened the thread, but it looks like we are the only 2 players in the world with such an issue :|

What do you think I should do now? I have a battery save just before this fight starts, and a state save in the middle of the battle. I tried to find a way to convert something to VBA, but it looks like all the methods found on the Web are not working (i.e. VBA is not able to load the game save at all)... I would have liked to finish this game though :\ Do you think I could load a brand new Pokemon Emerald rom and try to load the state save from there (the one from the middle of the battle)?
  8. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

The dirty memory is in the save state and not in the rom so that is not going to help at all. As for the battery save not sure if the raw setting affects GBA saves or just NDS saves. There are plenty of conversion sites out there that will convert between No&GBA and VBA saves.
  9. Squall-Leonh@rt

the raw setting affects saves in general, flash types especially which usually have alot of unused bytes
  10. HellWolf

HellWolf New Member

So, do you suggest trying to convert the .sav file to vba .sav? or to .sgm?
  11. Squall-Leonh@rt

you need to change the save type in the nogba ini from Compressed to Raw, load and then save to make the .sav vba compatible.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  12. HellWolf

HellWolf New Member

Actually, it looks like it is not working. I had the save type set as "uncompressed", now I changed it into "raw". However, after setting the directories in VBA (in order to have it looking at the right path when loading everything), it doesn't recognize the type (in fact it just allows me to choose a new game). Also, when closing VBA, it automatically overwrites the .sav file (and it becomes quite larger also... from 20KB to 130KB more or less).

EDIT: I had it set as "uncompressed" as it was part of a previous process of converting I alreadyd did with a tool found online. I see the original format was "compressed" and that "uncompressed" and "raw" are basically the same thing.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  13. Squall-Leonh@rt

uncompressed and Raw are not the same.

and what did i just say

14. HellWolf

HellWolf New Member

Wait, I think I am then missing something here :)

Here is what I did:

1) changed the save type in the no$gba.ini so that now it is set as "raw";
    2) loaded the game in no$gba, saved it and closed it;
    3) moved the newly created .sav file into VBA directory (where it is also pointing automatically as per directories options I have set);
    4) loaded the game with VBA: I can just start a new game, no previous savegames are available;
    5) closed VBA: it automatically overwrites the .sav file;
    6) loaded the game again, with VBA; same thing: no saves available.

...thanks for your patience!
  15. Squall-Leonh@rt

please notice, that i typed Raw instead of raw ;)

the fact your save was 20KB actually shows that the letter casing you used for Uncompressed was invalid as well.
  16. HellWolf

HellWolf New Member

Sorry, I didn't know it was case sensitive :( Guess what? I can now load the savegame with VBA but... after the fight, the game stucks again in the same point o_O ...now I suppose I should change some settings in VBA? I hope it will work :(
  17. Squall-Leonh@rt

It seems like your save itself could be corrupt for some reason, potentially the use of nogba's save states and any usage of cheats can easily do this.

I have completed these all 3 3rd gen games atleast once in 1.7, 1.8 and vba-m without this occuring.

You might need to check through the backpack for corrupted items or leave the area and try some other battles before returning, as this can reset invalid data if its the case.
  18. HellWolf

HellWolf New Member

Ok I will try... I did not use any cheats, but I used the "sna" saves a lot, I did not know they were dangerous :(

Thank you, I will let you know!
  19. HellWolf

HellWolf New Member

Problem solved ^^

The issue was not actually in the savegame, but in the rom file! I used AdvanceMap because, with no$gba, I had the "fog" problem, and so I used this tool in order to remove the fog from underwater maps, AS WELL AS FROM THIS CAVE. I recovered the original rom, proceeded "blindly" inside the cave and, when I beated Archie, everything went well! I suppose the problem here is due to the scripting. In fact, this map originally included "foggy weather", or something similar. Now, after my intervention, it was set as "regular weather", or "in.house weather", I don't recall. Anyway, I noticed how, once the fight is finished, the fog is cleared away by the "red orb activation effect".

Probably, as the software did not find any "fog" to remove in terms of weather status change, it simply stucked there.

I hope this can help the user who originally open this thread also.

Thank you for your suggestions anyway!
  20. Squall-Leonh@rt

ah, haha, something to keep in mind.
  21. mrsatayman

mrsatayman New Member

Hi,

Can you post a picture of Seafloor Cavern (24.36) of your AdvancedMap programme?
    I'm facing the problem too :[ I tried changing the weather to "Regular Weather" and
    "In house weather" but they both don't work. Help me A.S.A.P!
    (Ps: I need the header part and event only.)

Thank you!
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015