Need Help with ePSXe? This is your first stop!.

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by Squall-Leonhart, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Squall-Leonhart

An update on Real FPS versus Petes plugins FPS.

The FPS shown by petes plugins, is more of a fields per second, rather then frames per second, like that used in most N64 emulators, the real fps is variable, in that it ranges from 25/30 to 50/60, though the real fps is more an unrounded number.

This means some games actually will show as running at only 25 FPS, if you happen to run fraps, such games include FF7, FF8 and FF9.

While playing games like this, you will find that during battle, the Fraps FPS will increase to 50/60 fps rather then 25/30. This is because every second frame is filled with the Battle menu or cursor(in FF7's case).

Of late, there has been some FPS lag, or slugginess, which some, including myself at first, pointed to a overly slow real fps(fraps fps).

The real reason is one of the following.

1. The user is using an AMD Athlon X2 processor, and has not got the AMD optimizer driver installed.
    2. The user has an nVidia Geforce 6+ card and is using Forceware 176 or higher with an Intel or AMD dual core processor, To fix this install nhancer and create a profile for ePSXe with the OpenGL Multithreading set to disabled.
    3. The User has the Frame limiter enabled in both ePSXe' and petes plugin, This is rare for the automatic, but happens often if petes is set to a manual fps, and may result in incorrect frame ordering.
    4. Video cards less then a Geforce 6800, or 7800 may also suffer frame lag as a result of using shader filters due to the lesser memory bus width (128bit a opposed to 256), so disabling them can also benefit.
    5. The OpenGL Prerender limit can be adjusted to 2 (from a default of 3) on nVidia cards to improve control responsiveness, but should not be set to 1 or 0 as this will incur a fps hit on FB intensive screens.

There are times that Cheats may cause problems as well, such as those in FF9 (US). It has been found that enabling the MP and HP cheats on Zidane causes the graphics to corrupt on the after battle spoils screen, resulting in having to save blindly to memory card and reload. As so far, this corruption only occurs with cheats on Zidane. There is also a second FF9 cheats issue where the Frames screws up, I assume this is due to frame skipping, as applying the cheat during a skipped frame might cause the frame ordering to break.

Frame skipping is not wise at all, as while moving about the game map, via foot or airship the frame order can screw up resulting in all over lag which can only be fixed via State saving and reloading, or bumping to fullscreen and back to windowed (or reversed). This can also occur during battle, and i've reproduced this in both FF9 and chrono cross, while frame skipping is enabled.

I recently experienced first hand, a save state corrupting a memory card file, this however was caused by a system crash while loading the state, which caused both the state and card to be damaged. In some cases its caused by corrupted audio data. Luckily in my case i was able to reload the damaged state by setting audio to Null-Sound, and restoring my memory card from a backup
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2008
  4. jonc2006

jonc2006 God of Douchebagness™

squall ive added a link to the AMD dual core optimizer utility that was mentioned in your post, ive seen quite a few people running into performance issues because of it and having a direct link available might save some people the trouble of having to hunt it down.
  5. Squall-Leonhart

For those running Final Fantasy Chronicles and experiencing yellow water, update to ePSXe 1.7.0 as this is fixed.
  6. Squall-Leonhart

For those experiencing Black screens in FF9, when moving between screens, this is usually a sign of read errors, Rip the image using CloneCD or Alcohol 50% and use CDR SAPU to read the mounted image.
  7. KrazyNinjaKitty

KrazyNinjaKitty New Member

hi umm this is the first emulator I have downloaded in a long time so I have the delta, anwho it isn't giving me anything to setup for the graphics in the dropbox...if im in the wrong area to discuss this please could you direct me to someone who can help?
  8. jonc2006

9. Sparda86

Sparda86 New Member

Yo, quick question.

Is the CD plug-ins really necessary at all? I don't plan on popping PS1 game discs in so is there a benifit that I'm not aware of for having CDR plug-ins?
  10. jonc2006

not needed if you plan to just use images but i would keep at least 1 around in your plugins folder for troubleshooting purposes (when you might need to play from the discs to rule some things out, for example). you might need one if you mount your images onto a virtual drive since you would need to configure the CDR plugin to read from that drive but that is only one method, there are others so its not definite.
  11. Chocks

Chocks New Member

Whats Open GL Prerendering

hey whats the Prerender limit. I can't find it anywhere
  12. Dax

Dax ライチュウ|タオ

This, I think.
  13. Chocks

Chocks New Member

aah, thank you. i thought it was a setting in epsxe :)
  14. jonc2006

i should have done this after my 2nd post but im locking it now because its just supposed to be a collection of links to useful information.

squall if you ever need to add something else, PM me and i will either do it myself or i will temporarily unlock it for you.
  15. Squall-Leonhart

16. Squall-Leonhart

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.