New HomePage!

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements' started by sanjay, Jan 27, 2009.

1. sanjay

sanjay New Member

You have probably already noticed our new homepage since we are going live as I write this. We have decided to give NGEMU a much better look and feel than the old software was capable.

Our system (CrowdReport) is a seamless integration of Vbulletin and WordPress that allows us to share discussions in the same way that the old frontpage did, but it also gives us the opportunity to select any member created thread and publish it to the homepage. This way, the best content from the community is showcased in addition to the editorial provided by our tireless news team.

We realize that some of the features you are used to like forum stats and latest threads are no longer accesible, but we are developing widgets that will allow us to restore that functionality. It will take us a little bit of time to do this, but all of that data is still accessible on the forum index.

Please feel free to voice your comments. I realize that forum members can be grumpy about change, but we are deploying this system across all of our forums and so far members have been very happy!

We are still working on a simple to use file transfer system in order to make emulator downloads more efficient, but if you can think of other features that are specific to this community thne please let us know and we will put it in the development queue.

Questions? Comments? Bugs? Please feel free to play around and let us know your thoughts.

Sanjay
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. masta.g.86

masta.g.86 No sir, I don't like it. Award Winner!

The site's got a slick look! Nice! Still getting used to the new layout every time I see it.

I like the forum article highlights on the home page, but who decides what shows up there? Will there be a voting system to be added?
  4. makotech222

makotech222 The one and only

put up the latest posts in forum feed somewhere on main page :)
  5. masta.g.86

masta.g.86 No sir, I don't like it. Award Winner!

Seconded.

I oft check the latest posts to see if there is anyone who needs help that I may be of assistance to.
  6. sanjay

sanjay New Member

Glad you like it. The columns are populated in chronological order starting with the center column, then the right, then the list on the left. The initial articles were just selected by one of my teammates by browsing the forums. We did this so we could launch with a pretty and well populated page instead of an empty one.

Any admin can publish a thread to the homepage, so just PM them when you see a worthy thread that you or someone else has created. We don't have a plan for voting right now because we don't want popular threads that are poorly written to automatically get published. If a thread is good, but it needs some work- an admin can PM the member for a better write-up or some pictures and then edit their first post with the updated content before publishing.
  7. Mako Eyes

Mako Eyes Refrigerate after opening

Love the look guys. Great job.

Will any of the sub-pages be updated to fit this new look?
  8. sanjay

sanjay New Member

We are going to work on an import script to move all of the sub-page articles to hidden forums and then they will all share the same look and feel as the homepage while being accessible from the subdomains.
  9. RedLion

RedLion Better be better than yesterday

It rocks.Nice job guys.
  10. Cheesus

Cheesus Curiously Cheddar Award Winner!

Very nice homepage.

But the rest of the site is not consistent in terms of style with the main page. All the links (less the forum links) take you to pages using the old layout.
  11. Zieg

Zieg Buried in the Programming

It looks great!:)
    When was the last time the layout changed?
  12. KrossX

KrossX クロスエクス

Oh, is pretty! Really nice.

Is there any upcoming change to the forum?
  13. Bubbafat

Bubbafat Mhm.

Are you guys gonna put the wier sayings on there still??:(

Anyways, i like it, good for a little change around here:thumb: Little confusing though looking at it for the first time, although i am dumb:dead:
  14. sanjay

sanjay New Member

what sayings?
  15. Bubbafat

Bubbafat Mhm.

on the top over the new forum posts (on old page), there was one like, "with C you can shoot your foot off, with C++it happens less but you shoot your whole leg off" or whatever just random different things. they were just amusing while in passing to the forums.
  16. sanjay

sanjay New Member

I will look into that and see if we can find them and fit them in a way that works with the new layout.
  17. Bubbafat

Bubbafat Mhm.

yay thank you :D
  18. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

These were random historic quotes, specifically.
  19. Phil

Phil Site Owner Award Winner!

Not bad. Can the rest of the forums be converted to this new style??
  20. TastEPlasma

TastEPlasma The Nexus of a Crisis, and The Origin of Storms

Cool, I like it.

Was quite the shock though, never thought I would see the day. ;-)
  21. Kushan

Kushan Krazy Kat

This might sound like a stupid question...but where's the Emu news gone?