Next Generation Emulation banner

New PS2 Emulator attempt

25K views 88 replies 40 participants last post by  Raziel 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm Roor, I hope someone remembers me... I made some emulators some time ago: AdriPSX, DuoS DSEmu, and some others that surely no one knows.

Anyway, since middle 2014 I begun refactoring my old PS2 Emu project; and now it runs games and plays with an acceptable degree of performance.

I was planning on renaming it, right now it is just generic "ps2emu" (tentatively "Connectix Ps2emu").

Features so far:

- Good compatibility, plays most (but not all) commercial games from ISOs.
- HLE Based. It doesn't require a BIOS.
- Doesn't use any plugin at all.
- Small footprint : it's only 1.2Mb in total.
- Requires CPU with SSE2 support.
- Requires DirectX 9 with shader 2.0 support.
- Supports MemoryCard files, but no SaveStates.
- Has SD (original res) and HD (high res) modes, for enhanced graphics.
- Runs fairly well on Intel I5, Windows 8, without external GPU which I use for tests.

I plan to do a limited release (for testers only) by next Monday.

Please write to kingprofit@hotmail.com, if interested.

Thanks,
Roor

Ps: if this is not fit to the forum's "News Section" feel free to move it somewhere else.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Awesome!! I remember you. I'd be interested in trying the emulator out. Of course my hardware has changed quite a bit over the years. I do have a few questions though:

1. Are you going to opensource the project? In the future?
2. What's your development plans for the project?

Thank you for the times. Cheers.

#24 · (Edited)
1. Are you going to opensource the project? In the future?
2. What's your development plans for the project?
Is this emulator open source and will it have a Github repository?
Previously asked by fivefeet8, give Roor some time to sort things out.

That's awesome. I'll upload footage to youtube and share links here.
Looks awesome!

GuitarFreaks & Drummania Masterpiece Silver on Connectix Beta (1st March)
Note that the game runs completely smooth with some minor graphical glitches.
Audio is noted to be more accurate and has less latency than PCSX2.

[NOTE: This is Drummania for those who really don't know what is it.]

#4 ·
I plan to do a limited release (for testers only) by next Monday.
Good news, thanks for the hard work mate.

So by monday you will release a limited release for testers, do you have any estimated date when this emu will be available in public?

#6 ·
I remember you from DuoOS back when I still had a system that could not run desmume and I was trying to find a DS emulator that worked well since No$GBA was still forced to use No$Zoomer and the audio issues were a like nails on a chalkboard still. Hopefully you can make something good and decent with a PS2 emulator.

#13 ·
Next Monday (March 9th) I'll send a new Beta to the ones who applied; several GS/GPU issues have been addressed and performance have been slightly improved.

If I make it in time (I can't make promises) I'll try to get Game-pad/Joystick support available during this weekend.

Thanks!

#25 ·
I'll get back to my tests tonight, and post some screenshots.

Like I told Roor, the emulation is impressive, for such a early state. ^^

I have tested 15 games, and ALL OF THEM booted fine (some had graphic issues, but DID ran. :p)

Wild Arms: Alter Code F and Dark Cloud 1 actually plays perfectly in this emulator. ^^

Also, I'm getting almost full speed in Soul Calibur 3, one of the best looking PS2 games!! ^^

In honor to "Connectix Virtual Game Station"... which was (in some ways) the best ps1 emulator at the time of its release... in my humble opinion.
I used to LOVE Connectix VGS too. ^^ At the time, I had a VERY bad PC with a integrated video card, so playing PSX games at full speed on my PC was only possible in VGS. ^^

#27 ·
VGS was cool. I actually had someone in the US get it for me at the time, as it wasn't for sale in Europe (unlike bleem!).
VGS' compatibility was awesome for the time. Sure, other emulators had the edge in graphics but they didn't quite run as much.
CVGS was pretty cool. At the time I was developing my own PS1 emulator (AdriPSX) and they were able to run "high-end" games like Final Fantasy VII (yes, at that time, FF8 was considered a high end and AAA game...) even on a Penium MMX 166mhz with 4Mb of RAM... It was a great achievement.

I don't know if I will be able to... but the idea behind "Connectix" (in due time) is to be able to run games without the need of a "powerfull" PC.
I really admire PPSSPP, and it was my inspiration to continue developing a Ps2Emu. PPSSPP is one of the best current (?) generation emulators, well designed and HLE based... that's what I always wanted for any of my own emus.

Anyway, I haven't been able to prepare the beta for this weekend (I've been away from home since last Thursday).
Don't worry, everyone who already requested to "beta-test" by email, will receive copy of the next beta.

Thank you for your patience.
I've been quite busy with work during the week, and with family during the week end. Sorry for that.

Cheers, Roor.

#39 ·
Don't get me wrong but it doesn't matter what the advantages are. Fact is the emulator is a hobby project and as such Roor is fully entitled to his decisions whatever we like them or not. He can decide whatever to release the emulator to the public or not and the same applies to the source code.

Right now he is sending betas to people and he could as well simply stop the whole thing and that would be his desicion. For instance many here including me asked for a beta and he simply ignored the posts so i pretty much say "fuck it" and simply forgot about this thread until now. At the end is his decision so all you can do is respect it.

I've never released any of my projects as open source either and there are many out there who never did as well. Sure, open source has it's advantages but not everyone wants them. I for one don't like others touching and messing with my private/hobby projects.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.