Newest Build Thoughts + Advice.

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion' started by Nero3733, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Nero3733

Nero3733 New Member

Hey,

Just wanted to see what everyone thought on my latest build.I put a decent amount of research on reviews and taking in opinions of others,which I welcome more of so by all means let me know your thoughts.

Cpu-Intel 6700k
    Gpu-Sapphire Nitro 4 GB R9 380x 256-bit (already purchased previously)
    MB-Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming-GT
    Storage-Samsung SSD 950 pro 512gb m.2 nvme
    Ram-2x8 16gb G skills trident-z series 3200 ddr4
    Case-In-Win 303 or Thermaltake Commander G42 (Undecided)
    Cooling-Corsair H100i V2
    PSU-EVGA 600B 0600-KR (Already purchased previously) need stronger one.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Kaizen

Kaizen Yes Award Winner!

Is there a reason the system is unbalanced?
    That's a very high end CPU to put with a low end 380X.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great setup that will be great for emulators and it has good upgrade ability in the future but it's under par for PC gaming today.
    A 1060 would be a better choice, I would also ditch the pre-built water cooler for a big air fan and use the cost savings towards the GPU upgrade.
    Nero3733 likes this.
  4. Nero3733

Nero3733 New Member

Well yeah I realize the gpu isnt as high as it could be but i also wouldnt call it "low-end" honestly I dont see me having too much issue on playing most pc games at high settings with it.To answer your question though I bought the gpu a few month back cause i needed one for the system I had e8400 @ 3.6 with a p5e board and ddr2 1066 memory and believe it or not I could run games like tales of zestiria,Nba 2k16 etc with supersampling,16x af tess filter maxed and many other settings maxed and would only get drops on frames in nba 2k16 and were talking only 10 frames or so.Last but def not least anything I upgrade too will remain Team Red.

I will be upgrading the GPU in the future but cards like the nano and such is ridiculously priced for the minor performance boost that it gives...well maybe not minor lets say moderate but still i dont believe its worth 4 to 500+ I mean I only paid friggin 310 for my 6700k.

As far as the AIO liquid cooler I prefer it too air cooled (does a better job and cost like only 20 bucks more) if I'm gonna buy a noctua air around 80 to 90 bucks I might as well pay 20 to 30 bucks more for a AIO liquid cooler that will do a better job and get me more outta my overclock,makes sense you agree?
  5. resolutespider5

resolutespider5 I mustache you a queshtion

I agree, for gaming you could ditch the i7-6700K for a i5-6600K. http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6600K . Why? For gaming it would make little difference, most are optimized for 2 cpu threads, or at most 4 cpu threads. i7s are only really worth it for multitasking, or apps optimized for more than 4 threads (not many).

Instead buy a GTX970 or GTX1060, you'll get a much better frame rate. The 1060 would probably be preferred. http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-380X-vs-GeForce-GTX-970
    Nero3733 likes this.
  6. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

Looks good but state in the first post that you already have the gpu because most criticism will be towards it.

Also what about the psu, do you already have that too or are you planning to buy it? That seems a bit weak.

Agree with spider that the i5 is good enough instead of the i7.
    Nero3733 likes this.
  7. Nero3733

Nero3733 New Member

Thank you silenus and yeah the psu is a bit weak and yes i already had it before buying anything else (hoping to change it but not sure what to get).As far as the i5 I agree I didn't really need the i7 but the i5 is going for like 245 the cheapest I've seen anyways and i bought the i7 for only 310 I saw it as hell 70 bucks difference between the 2 I might as well go with i7 then for such a small amount of money difference.
  8. Nero3733

Nero3733 New Member

Not that its a big difference but the stats on that r9 380x are a bit off I didnt really look to pay attention to all but one off the top of my head is the core clock on my gpu is higher then the one listed on this.Mine is clocked at 1040 stock while that one listed is only 970 a few other stats looked a bit off too but im not positive without looking at my gpu specs this minute.

What I really would like everyone to chime in on is storage now what I'm looking at getting is the samsung pro 950 ssd m.2 nvme 256 or 512 now what I'm not sure of is if I should get 2 of these drives one for boot and the other for my games(with the board I got if I use both m.2 it shuts down 6 of my 8 sata express ports) or if I should go nvme for my boot and just a pci express samsung pro ssd 512gb for my games.What do you guys think on this?
  9. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

Definitely like the choice of CPU, it'll last a long time and is quite feature rich.

As far as a PSU goes, my mentality today is if you can afford it, get something with extra wattage to account for dropoff in the long term. The EVGA PSU's are currently highly recommended and have great long warranty's, which should help in the long term as the unit slowly drops off power.

As far as nvme is concerned, 256 will be enough for windows, some games and some workstation software with enough storage for encoding. If you can sport another SSD from the cost difference between a 256 and 512 that might be the way to go. Another drive will still be massively fast and in a real world scenario you probably won't see much difference.

I currently have a 480gb SSD storage drive for games and workflow and it rules.
    Nero3733 likes this.
  10. Nero3733

Nero3733 New Member

yeah that will be most likely the way i go then that sounds good.Thanks everyone and thank u snicko man you been great helping me out on all my post I appreciate that.
  11. Nero3733

Nero3733 New Member

Update: Everything for this build has been purchased but I know with what I got the psu I mentioned in my first post will not suffice...I wanted to get the evga supernova g2 80+ gold 750w which is about $100 give or take this is about where I wanna be for price on a fully mod tier 1 psu but I'm not sure if 750w is enough to power what I got.

The only thing different in what i listed that this is going to have to power is the gpu instead of the r9 380x Im gonna get the rx-480 so what I was wondering is if the supernova g2 750w will power all that I got or would I need a higher wattage? if anyone can help with this I'd really appreciate it, it's my last hang up on this build otherwise its completed.