Ngemu Image Excavation Site

Discussion in 'General Pictures & Videos' started by Samor, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Samor

Samor Foundry

Hello and welcome to the Ngemu Image Excavation Site - That's NIES for short, which is Dutch for sneeze.

Ok, why this thread?
    In the old days, when king Bobbi ruled the lands of NGEmu we all happily posted images and artworks in these forums.
    Years after the king left, the crumbling remnants of a once great country were migrated from vBulletin to XenForo, a move that obliterated the magic attachment crystal... thus, all images were lost.

During a chat with fellow old man Kellicros on the thread for old geezers (http://ngemu.com/threads/veterans-what-remains-of-us-at-least-assemble.137560/) the images were mentioned once again and I thought it would be fun to see if we could restore some of them.

I myself only saved a handful of these images on my HDD (and most of them being my own), so any help would be welcome.

The idea is to put a bit of context around them, why , where and when they were posted, etc.

It's just to have fun, do not take it seriously, it can be random - I created this as a separate thread not to derail others (like the Perpetual Artworks thread).

The thread starter has to create an example
    So that's what I'm going to do.
    First, 2 group "photo's" from some of the old gang. One is from me, the other was made by Kellicros (then Evil Squall).

conceptbatards.jpg
    From left to right (IIRC) Ryos, me, Xeven, Shiori, Betamax and Gk1986

Kellicros made a better picture and he was smart enough to write names ;)

crew3.jpg

At least Shiori was a constant factor XD
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  2. Kellicros

Kellicros retired Contributors

Great stuff Samor, Xeven and Shiori were always like the best buddies in these forums. I don't remember why Xeven isn't in my picture.

My old drawings give me cringes seriously, I haven't been drawing for sooo long. BTW, I was trying to figure out who each characters are, the names seem vague, and that box thing Bobbi has his foot on took me a while. xD

Can you upload them to a cloud drive or something and share it with me? Let's see how I can help. :)

Male or female? :p
  3. Samor

Samor Foundry

female, of course! :)

Your drawing says 2003, Gk1986 had probably left at the time and I think Xeven visited much less frequent by then. Mine's probably older.

I have some old drawings you made but I (re)discovered your DeviantArt and I think most are already on there.
    Also, reposting all my Paint Wars drawings here is just too much hassle.
    I'll put some stuff on OneDrive later.

Want me to post here or rather p.m. ?
    Kellicros likes this.
  4. Kellicros

Kellicros retired Contributors

Seems like it, I don't remember Gk1986 at all but I remember Xeven very well because of the whole BATARD thing, and he(WAIT, IS XEVEN A HE OR A SHE?) went on to make his PSX emulator, it was very cool, I didn't know he can code!

It's been 13 years, I can't remember much on how or why the pic was made but I am glad I decided to put the year in it, I have a hard time browsing through my deviantart because I can't stand the cringe.

You can post here if you don't mind, or pm me if you need privacy.
  5. Samor

Samor Foundry

I think it's more fun to post things here, it's all stuff that was meant to be public.... even if some of my own stuff makes me cringe too ;)

So, time for more excavations
    We've dug up more from the very early days of ngemu... webcomics that were (somewhat) related to this place.

Perhaps the most well-known one at the time was negativespot borequicky, or NSBQ for short, by JegHegy (nyaa!)
    His site is mostly lost, but thanks to the wayback archive I was at least able to retrieve something. Remember the talking balls?
    nsbq_0057.png
    ...and I think they just did again! Original site location used to be http://nsbq.whitetrashdesign.com. The comic's biggest fan was Nezzar.

Well, and then there was mine, called Under Construction.
    There was one comic with an interesting story behind it; it was originally posted on here as well:
    scom0020.gif
    Rand Linden from bleem! read the comic and offered me a copy of bleemcast for Gran Turismo 2! I still cherish that disc. :)

Here's the full archive: https://1drv.ms/u/s!At2URH9aT-e6hshXPj6cds1J3Wf4Dw

Originally I'd planned a story where the 3 main characters would end up in an appartment complex and run a computer hardware store in the same building.
    I never got that far ;)
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Kellicros and @ruantec like this.
  6. Samor

Samor Foundry

Characters that became NGEmu regulars, sort of
    Even though I never kept up that comic thing for long, two of its characters started to semi-regularly appear on NGEmu.
    The first one to appear on here was Mary:
    maryba2.PNG
    Slightly different appearance from the comic, and now with a bag (containing tomatoes - that's an Ngemu in-joke based on one of Xeven's signatures)

Mary was to take on respected Ngemu idols such as Shiori and Hikari - naturally she failed bigtime... and her constantly failing at things sort of become another in-joke.
    She even lost to this guy, an owl:

mouse_owl.gif
    It's actually a pretty old owl. The oldest drawings I have are from 1995 :)
    @ruantec likes this.
  7. Samor

Samor Foundry

@ruantec likes this.
  8. Samor

Samor Foundry

..and more...
    some drawings from Love Hina.. I think the Ngemu member that has drawn these was hnayoung.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg naru.jpg

I was really impressed; also, Love Hina was one of the first animes I watched.
    Kellicros and @ruantec like this.
  9. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

Awesome stuff bro!
    Samor likes this.
  10. Samor

Samor Foundry

@ruantec likes this.
  11. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

I remember seeing those but i totally missed that because i was busy doing other stuff and visiting other areas here. Fun times XD
  12. Samor

Samor Foundry

and then this happened: http://ngemu.com/threads/looking-for-ngemu-mascot-offering-stuff.67398/

There was serious thought in getting an Ngemu mascot... and it turned out to be a battle royale between Mary and the owl:

edit_1.png
    edit_2.png
    edit_3.png
    edit_4.png

I was selling out there! :oops:
    In the end the owl won, but the whole thing never really materialized. ;)

the complete mascot wars:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!At2URH9aT-e6hshbWIAkgY3X0O1JdA

...and after the owl won I made a lot of placeholders
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!At2URH9aT-e6hshcOyBOOz1KtewdAA

...and only one was ever used, an error page warning (not with the 404 text but something similar)
    bonk_color.png
    ...maybe Mary should be glad she never won.
    Kellicros likes this.
  13. Samor

Samor Foundry

So, Paint Wars! The magnum opus of poor artistry and whatnot.
    this was the first one:
    http://ngemu.com/threads/paint-wars-tm.41460/ ....makes no sense without images (by the way, still doesn't make sense when they are there).

...now excavation is going to be hard... while I have a lot of materials it's all very disorienting.
    I discovered that halfway through I wrote a summary:

...and this was the immediate response:

(thanks, Sir Key) I probably was.

Now, instead of going through all of them, I just zipped everything I have.... so here it is, all of Paint Wars as I have it.
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!At2URH9aT-e6hshdNmtNFyOFY27Q2w

hosp3.PNG
    Kellicros likes this.
  14. Samor

Samor Foundry

Ok, who remembers Razor Blade?
    He was pretty good at 3D rendering at the time:

genc.jpg nesc.jpg

TheCloudOfSmoke was good at this as well:
    PlayStation_Controller_by_TheCloudOfSmoke.gif
    Kellicros likes this.
  15. Samor

Samor Foundry

MOAR EXCAVATIONS!11ELEVEN!
    We had a forum member named Toriyama who was so excellent at drawing DBZ you'd think he was the real one (maybe he was?)
    He had a girlfriend named Popuri (name from Harvest Moon, I think) who also became a member here. Both made some really cool artwork;
    sadly I don't have Popuri's drawing of Toriyama's Star Ocean 3 addiction, but I have a few others... maybe they'll ring a bell.
    liebe.jpg mietze.jpg poupuri%20Kopie.jpg
  16. Samor

Samor Foundry

Here is Strider drawing my character, Mary :)
    5_1.jpg

He also made some nice edits:
    fake3.jpg maryba4.gif error_404.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  17. Samor

Samor Foundry

Time for some random images....

bar.jpg
    2 beers please... ok!

bmary.jpg
    totally not ngemu related... (hint: the t-shirt)

im@s.jpg
    Kind of liked this one myself but it never really caught on... so I'm reposting it :oops:
    Kellicros likes this.