Nintendo: "Switch" console

Discussion in 'Game/Console Discussion' started by RedLion, Oct 20, 2016.

1. resolutespider5

resolutespider5 I mustache you a queshtion

A lot of it is also due to uncompressed audio files used by some games. For example Titanfall has 35GB of uncompressed audio. It's ridiculous really, but I suppose it allows for performance gains in terms of frame rate at a hefty cost of file size.
  2. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

Nintendo will play a Switch ad during the Superbowl.

Long version:

Short version (only Zelda):
    Linktothepast likes this.
  3. resolutespider5

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/826841955111890944
    Well that's good news, about $2 a month will make it a lot more palatable.
    Silenus, Thanakil and Linktothepast like this.
  4. Samor

Samor Foundry

Pay little, get little.
  5. Hy-Def

Hy-Def Chubbychu. (AKA Pikachu-bby (AKA Pikachu-BBW))

I watched that today! Looked nicer, and seemed to show more down-to-earth usage, as opposed to the millenials playing on a rooftop. :p
    Samor likes this.
  6. Linktothepast

Linktothepast Deus ex machina

From an interview with the creator of Fast RMX:
    The above hint to a significantly more powerful cpu inside the Switch compared to wiiu. Might be 4 times as much, splitscreen is a mainly cpu demanding process, and a bump from 720p 30fps in 4 player splitscreen to 1080p 60fps is 4 times as demanding.
  7. Hy-Def

Size comparison. Looks good. Especially as one of them is an actual gaming system and not just a screen with controls.

[​IMG]
  8. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

that superior screen on the switch
  9. Samor

Samor Foundry

...and the ipad not having Shovel Knight.
    the missing d-pad might be a thing but I never tried "buttons as d-pad" before so I wouldn't know how well it does (or doesn't) work.

....that is.. I guess, it might be similar to arrow keys on a keyboard and that is not bad at all....

D-pads restrict movement, on purpose: you can't press left+right at the same time.
    But is it bad?
    There is a funny example of unexpected behaviour when running Einhander (PS1) in an emulator on PC. if you press several cursor keys at once the ship folds up - it's probably unintended behaviour, you can't do this on a PlayStation.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  10. Yeloazndevil

well ipad version doesn't exist only thing close is mac or amazon fire tv
  11. resolutespider5

Simple answer: it's going to be inferior.

I get Nintendo wanted to provide dual controls in the Joy-Con. But I think it's a mistake. Apparently (or so I've read) the L & R controllers too small to be used comfortably in the vertical position. And games like 1-2 switch just look like shovelware. Far better would have been to d-pad instead, and expect people to get a second controller.

I get most people will buy a pro controller. Problem solved, except when using it in "3ds mode" like in the picture above. Not having a d-pad is going to hurt this mode, and could well make it pointless for certain types of games.
  12. Linktothepast

Linktothepast Deus ex machina

Actually i wonder if a rectangular piece of plastic on top of the buttons would do the job, it is a cheap solution but i plan to try it out when i my switch preorder arrives. Hope some third party will release a proper plastic accesory to put on top of the buttons. It should be quite cheap to do and from some testing i did with a piece of plastic and buttons of my gamepad should be adequate enough.
  13. resolutespider5

[​IMG]

If available this might well help. There is a 3D printer project at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2059932

He makes a good point:
    Linktothepast likes this.
  14. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

"should consider an alternative such as selling..."

That's the worst idea i ever heard this year....by requesting that you are asking Nintendo to sell you a part of the product that should be included for the price they are asking for. With such a statement you are going to make Nintendo think about it and sell you a small piece of silicon/plastic for at least 15-20 bucks taking in consideration their price decisions.....

Silly....
  15. Samor

Samor Foundry

d-pad amiibo!
    @ruantec likes this.
  16. Samor

Samor Foundry

anyway, I think it might just work but that's also as I started gaming exclusively with a keyboard, hated joysticks and only got used to gamepads much later.
  17. Hy-Def

And probably cuz I'm not really used to games that require a D-pad or else... I've never been big on fighters. As far as I'm concerned, a D-pad is only for opening scrolling menus. :p

Dont kill me
    Lasnap likes this.
  18. Yeloazndevil

d-pad is for 2d side scrolling games and I hate when newer games make it analog stick only
  19. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

A small plastic cover over the buttons does seem like a cheap and effective way to turn them into a dpad. It's something cheap enough that it could be shipped for free with future consoles, but most likely can't be added to the first batch of Switch as I imagine they're already under production with everything planned.
    Hopefully it gets added to every future consoles or, at the very least, to the future Deluxe versions of the Switch.
  20. Samor

Samor Foundry

But why a cover? Are we so scared to press multiple buttons at the same time?