Nintendo: "Switch" console

Discussion in 'Game/Console Discussion' started by RedLion, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

I personally don't mind simply having 4 buttons work as a dpad, but I think some people prefer an actual dpad because the buttons are larger than having 4 separate buttons + you can slide your finger from one direction to the next, with the dpad moving up/down to press the buttons. Kinda like a see-saw, as you move your weight around the pad. It can make quick movements a bit easier for people used to dpads.
  2. resolutespider5

resolutespider5 I mustache you a queshtion

I think the idea is it might make the shape of the buttons more similar that of say a playstation d-pad. The ps d-pads also have four buttons, but the shapes of them make them easier to control than four round buttons. Hopefully this will help in this regard, if it makes the button shapes more linear.

Of course this is conjecture, I don't really know whether this will really improve things or not.
  3. Samor

Samor Foundry

I think an "on-top-of" button like the 3D design posted here will be as good as (well, maybe a bit better) those analog controls that you can mount to a tablet screen (fling) - in the end, just using the touch controls is probably better (not good, but better).
    At least the Switch has actual buttons (duh, it's meant for gaming).... the d-pad has been a proven design popularized (and probably invented by) Nintendo themselves, but is a reconsideration wrong per-se? It has become less important since the advance of the analog sticks too....
  4. resolutespider5

It's not wrong to reconsider, and they have become less important than originally. But it's also fine to question their decision.

To me, it just means that 2D platformers and fighting games may be suboptimal using the joy-con, unless covers work out well. If you don't play those sort of games the decision will be far less important. The availability of the pro controller will also lessen the importance of this, unless using handheld mode.
  5. Samor

Samor Foundry

fighting games are my biggest worry, I don't see it as a problem for platformers.
  6. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

Everyone should remember that i have been beating the ass of a hell lot of Killer level players in KI and even reached a very high Killer level recently getting stars for my kicking ass record and all that done using the XB1/XB1S controller and exclusively using the analog stick.

That being said... if the analog is well done i see no issue with fighting games except players having to learn to use analogs instead like i did with the XB1 controller. To be honest i'm more worry about the side of those damn gamepads because i have not the biggest hands in the world but far bigger than those Japanese people and they look super tiny.
  7. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

@ruantec I still can't get used to the swipe mechanic in street fighter with the analog sticks.

I've always played fighting games with a dpad, have to practice more with my arcade stick.
  8. resolutespider5

Latest ad. Watch out for the section 3.46!
    Kellicros likes this.
  9. Kellicros

Kellicros retired Contributors

Damn that wanking contest, but I could totally see myself undocking it and bring it to the toilet.
  10. Hy-Def

Hy-Def Chubbychu. (AKA Pikachu-bby (AKA Pikachu-BBW))

I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't take it to the toilet. It's a very valid use.
  11. @ruantec

I don't... when i go to the toilet i do what i have to do... gaming and everything else stays out. I find it disgusting to take devices with me at that place and most specially when i don't visit it for pee reasons but that's a ME thing i guess ;)
  12. Samor

Samor Foundry

My phones and tablets have seen several. So I'd likely use the Switch there too.
    Using them with dirty hands is a big no-no though (ew).
  13. Samor

Samor Foundry

Btw I tried playing a fighter with analogue stick recently and it was awful... I can't pull off any moves that way.

As for keyboard, I can't properly pull off "complex" left/down or up/right moves very fast with my right hand (cursor keys), otherwise I'd be the best with that.
    WASD with fighting games doesn't work for me (actually with nothing except shooters).
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  14. @ruantec

I always played fighters with the D-Pad and decided to use the analog because as we know the XB1 controller D-Pad isn't the best. It takes a little to get used to it but eventually you get used with the time. I know use the analog on everything and can't remember the last time i used the d-pad.
  15. @ruantec

In my case i'm extremely picky in that regard and if i did that i would end up cleaning the device afterwards. It's like when i touch animals which i like to do but after i'm done my hands feel dirty and is like i can feel it and see the dirt so i have to wash my hands inmediatly and the same would be the case if i take a device to the toilet. I have another similar issue too with my workplace as it have to be clean and everything aligned perfectly else i would be moving every cm just to get perfect align else is going to bother the hell out of me as i can feel the bad aura that tells me it isn't right.

I'm weird i know...
  16. Samor

Samor Foundry

The xb1 dpad? It's fine IMO. The original 360 one, now that was bad. The Switch can't possibly be that bad.
  17. Samor

Samor Foundry

Nah, I don't think it's that weird, I have my own quircks like that. I wash my hands after touching animals too. I also open the toilet lid with toilet paper (clean, of course!) covering my hand before reaching for the phone again, stuff like that. I might use it there but I absolutely don't want it to get dirty.
  18. Hyuga

Hyuga Classic Games Lover

The octagonal d-pad attachment on the Elite controller is very good for fighters! Can't play on analog at all, way too sensitive!
  19. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Actually for fighting game specifically i actually think that the 360 D-pad is better then the Xbox One d-pad (both for normal and S), don't get me wrong for the rest of the games i will take the Xbox one d-pad any day, but for fighting games... nope... Though yes, on the Xbox One/360 you just have to get used to analogue controls, it takes a while but i've gotten used to it, that said, in figthing games that support D-Input (like DOA5 LR) i will mainly use my DS4, i prefer it more even if i gotten used to the analogue sticks of the Xbox controllers :p.
  20. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member