Nintendo: "Switch" console

Discussion in 'Game/Console Discussion' started by RedLion, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

With the Canadian prices being what they are, I'm personally 100% waiting. I'm even uncertain about Zelda, because after taxes and shipping, the game alone would cost me 100$.
    With the weak Canadian dollar: 80$ for the game. Once we add taxes: 92$. If I pick *normal* shipping, 96.50$. If I add fast shipping to get it earlier, I'm paying through the ass.

I'm actually wondering if buying a US digital version would allow me to redeem it on my console... Apparently, the codes are merely locked to the North America region. Which means I could buy from US Amazon for the equivalent of 80$ Canadian, but avoid the heavier taxes + shipping and simply redeem the digital code. But then if it doesn't work I'm simply fucked. Which means it might be simpler to pay the 92$ for a Canadian digital code. Still, that weak Canadian dollar makes game purchases such a bother. A few years ago when it was still strong it was 69$ after taxes (yes, really). Now it's 92$. Dangit.

As for the switch, it would be around 460$ after taxes. That's not even Nintendo being shitheads: 300$ US = 393$ CAD. 400 CAD + 15% taxes = 460$.
    I never wanted to feel the pain of the Australian people, this isn't fair. I even found a giant spider in my room yesterday, this is getting weird.
    *crossing my fingers I get tall and fucking ripped like Snicko*
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  2. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

Actually my daugther and wife are nagging the hell out of me to purchase one since it got available on Amazon today again probably for a short period of time. I'm still refusing as much as I can to pre-order..... i'm kinda losing the fight though.

2 against 1 is unfair.......... :p
  3. Thanakil

I rewatched the video of the menus as I wanted to see if it mentioned 4K and HDR. The "Resolution" setting only offered Automatic + 480p and there isn't an obvious "HDR: Yes - No" setting. It's possible this is the result of the Switch being in Tablet mode (especially as he was asked if he wanted to configure a TV at the beginning, which he didnt) but it still makes me wonder.
    This might not seem very important, but I was mainly curious from a video playback point of view. The Switch is planning to support movie/tv show streaming services, and those services have started offering 4K HDR support. It would be useful and logical for the Switch to support it also. Useless for gaming, useful for home entertainment.

The Switch is apparently using the Tegra X1, which is used in Android TV. And Android TV does say it supports 4K HDR video playback. With that said, 4K support goes back earlier than the Tegra X1, with both the Tegra K1 (equal in power to the Wii U) and Tegra 4 (much weaker) having it too. As far as HDR, it's a bit unclear if they supported it. By the looks of it, it seems obvious that the Nvidia hardware would support 4K HDR. But the official specs of the console say max is 1080p@60fps when docked. I guess the only reason it wouldn't offer 4K HDR when docked is if it didn't have the ports for it? Which would be quite weird. From what I see, the Dock has a USB-C port and a HDMI (dunno if 1.4 or higher). I think it was said the Tablet also has a USB-C port, as this is what is used to charge it.

I'm a noob in all of this, but I can see that there's such a thing as "Display Port over USB-C", and the website for Display Port discusses it, saying it allows support for 4K and 5K, and also "Support for BT.2020 color space, HDR, and HDCP 2.2". Which means it should be possible to use the USB-C port of the Switch to connect to a 4K HDR TV and watch movies this way.

So based on my flawed understanding of all of this: I guess the hardware supports it (highly likely) and the ports support it (likely?). So I imagine there's no reason why Nintendo wouldn't add such support to the console - either at launch or with a later update (which would make a lot of features to be patched in, which is annoying).

Or an alternative: patched later, with separate adapters sold for it.
    Hopefully there isn't one website with all the answers that my google searches failed to pick up on.
    Last alternative: it's always possible that Nintendo decided to cut out any support of 4K HDR if it reduced cost, as they *might* believe that the people who buy a Nintendo Switch aren't the same people who buy a giant 4K HDR TV in general. Therefore reducing cost would be an acceptable reason to sacrifice this support. With that said, I legit don't know if it would reduce cost to ask Nvidia to modify their existing hardware to remove it. It might, I truly don't know.
  4. @ruantec

Short answer.... the Switch is a WEAK ass console with the only plus being portability :p
  5. Thanakil

For sure, but it's a Nvidia SHIELD with a Tegra X1 in it, which does support 4K HDR playback.
    So I see no reason to cut support for it out of the console, unless it was a sacrifice made to keep the price at 299.99$.
  6. resolutespider5

resolutespider5 I mustache you a queshtion

Could be something to do with the Switch X1 GPU being underclocked to 768MHz; the Shield is clocked at 1GHz. The Switch x1 GPU is further underclocked to 307MHz in portable mode, and it's thought that developers will only use this clock speed for development.

See https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/12/nintendo-switch-nvidia-tegra-x1-specs-speed/

It makes it a good mobile system, but home console less so. Zelda is meant to look pretty good on the small screen, but poor on a hd tv. Skyrim will probably be the same. With cartoony games like Mario this will matter a lot less.

Also it will not support streaming at launch, only later as a unconfirmed possibility: see http://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/n...will-not-support-streaming-services-at-launch
  7. RedLion

RedLion Better be better than yesterday

Don't forget to add the price of a pro controller.

And I just discovered Sony only recently added external HDDs support to the PS4. I thought it was native in the first place.

Well, I don't know. Maybe I'm judging the Switch too harshly, but guys, if you are really into this console, I recommend just waiting at least three months to see how it evolves, to read/listen about users feedback about the general ergonomics and the games.
    resolutespider5 likes this.
  8. Thanakil

In regard to the speed: true, but the K1 also supported 4K and was slower. So I don't think the lower speed will be a giant issue, except maybe in tablet mode. But tablet mode wouldn't need 4K HDR anyway, since the point is to use a TV with 4K HDR (dock mode). We only need to know Dock mode is fast enough, and it should be when compared to the K1. From what I saw the Tegra 4 had 4K support and it was around 1/5 the power of the Switch in gflops. It had less cores and they were running at a lower frequency (672mhz).

As for the streaming: I know it's not supported at launch, but both the Wii U and 3DS had Netflix, so I think it's a near-given the Switch will get it. The Switch is a Nvidia Shield, which has support for Netflix, HBO Now, Amazon streaming and Youtube. The older K1 also advertised Netflix, Hulu, etc. It wouldn't make sense for Netflix to say no, and it wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to block it. So ultimately, I expect a port of Netflix to the Switch once they get around to it.

I don't think it would be a big loss if it didnt have 4K HDR movie streaming. Not having normal Netflix streaming would be a bigger loss: watching movies in bed on your tablet is sweet.

I personally don't mind playing without a pro controller. I only want precise controllers for competitive gaming, and I don't think of the Switch as being a platform for this. Maybe I'd want a pro controller if I personally was interested in Splatoon 2 in multiplayer, but I'm not 100% sold on Splatoon. So overall, the joycons are enough for me.
    I do agree with waiting before buying a Switch in general. I think waiting until the Holiday seasons is perfect since it'll have a bunch of games released + a bunch of new games announced, so I personally recommend waiting unless people REALLY REALLY want to play the new Zelda and they don't own a Wii U. Which few of us own.
  9. Xblade

Xblade Drowning in a red state.

My boyfriend really wants one, will probably pick up in April if it is available...there are actually about 3 titles I want that were announced. Xenoblade 2, Mario Oddysey, and Zelda. I'd also like a port of Super Smash Bros Wii. I'm also hoping they have a modern licensing system for digital purchases.
  10. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

As I have said before I am expecting this to honestly replace the 3DS. AKA we are likely to get far more games looking like Squares Project Octo then we are games like Zelda and Skyrim. So far the only third part console like game I have seen is Skyrim every other third party game so far has been AA aka the type of game you would find on handhelds like the 3DS. Most of the console like games seem to be coming from Nintnedo themselves like Xenoblade 2 and Zelda and the others.

As I have said before I can easily see the gaming companies seeing this as a replacement for the 3DS far more then as a replacement for the Wii U. doesn't mean we won't see a few ambitious projects like Skyrim tho its just the majority of things are going to be AA like we have seen on the 3DS,DS and other handhelds. So yeah that is where I see the gaming industry taking the Switch.

The name also reminds me of the Switchblade style weapon as well.
  11. Hy-Def

Hy-Def Chubbychu. (AKA Pikachu-bby (AKA Pikachu-BBW))

12. @ruantec

Nintendo themed Android...... oh, wait....
  13. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

yea don't be a dick about it, besides Nintendo wouldn't use android they like to own everything
  14. Paratech

Paratech Active Member

Android supports evil emulators that let you play teh Romz without paying Nintendo for the umpteenth time. That can't be allowed. Only Nintendo games that are purchased can be played on the Switch.

:p
  15. @ruantec

I wasn't even trying to be a dick but was a real response actually. When i saw that video i inmediatly thought on Android with a Nintendo theme as that's how it looks like to me lol. Wasn't negative at all take it easy bro :p
  16. Yeloazndevil

17. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

Screen looks great. That foggy POS the Wii U had was not enjoyable.
  18. Yeloazndevil

well resistive touchscreens always look that bad, its just how they are made. Glad Nintendo are moving away from resistive and went to capacitive
  19. Samor

Samor Foundry

20. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

I'm not convinced they're actually fixing the real problem of forcing gamers to rebuy games everytime they move to Nintendo's next console.

Even VC oldies might be artificially locked for newer hardware generations, under the pretense that you bought a 'Wii-era version' of Super Mario Kart, and you need to buy the 'Switch-era version' of that old game you already owned and had associted to your account.
    All Nintendo would have to do is withold emulators at the early cycle of new consoles to get the money flowing for re-re-releases.