Nintendo: "Switch" console

Discussion in 'Game/Console Discussion' started by RedLion, Oct 20, 2016.

1. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

If I remember correctly Nintendo confirmed that is not running any SLI at all as there is no GPU in the dockingstation. It's a tablet running Nintendo's OS and games with a dockingstation. Sadly i can't find the website where i read about it.
  2. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

The dockstation only has the TV hdmi output, and powers up the tablet, all the hardware is inside the tablet itself, that's what nintendo said in a an interview to IGN.
  3. Paratech

Paratech Active Member

I wonder if Nintendo will step out of the digital dark ages or not.

Will the switch have digital content tied to an account like Microsoft, Sony, Steam, do or will it be tethered to the hardware like the 3DS/DSi/Wii/Wii U?

Will any of the previous content be able to be transferred to the system, if not, how long will Wii/Wii U, 3DS digital content be supported and what will happen when they aren't supported?
    Kellicros likes this.
  4. Kellicros

Kellicros retired Contributors

Nintendo has always supported their previous console via BC, but this is not the case with NS, I guess there is not enough WII-U sold for BC to matter. This is pretty smart move if you ask me, they might have pissed off some existing WII-U owners but people who do not own the Wii-U can get the NS at lower price(with BC hardware excluded). It also make sense that they announce the discontinuation of WU few months before the launch of NS, to not piss off even more new potential WU owners.

Seeing how they have confirmed to be completely killing off the Wii-U, my guess is that the NS will be supported as their main console, and the 3DS will still be their main handheld because it is a completely different concept, that still works, imo.
  5. Samor

Samor Foundry

It's possible. It'd be foolish to write off the 3DS before the Switch becomes a success anyway (they kept GBA around until NDS was a success too).
    There will probably also be quite a difference in pricing, which is another factor.
  6. Paratech

Paratech Active Member

I was referring to the digital games on the Wii U and 3DS. If support for those games is removed and they can't be ported to the switch, that may upset some customers. The Wii had its digital content supported on the Wii U.

There are whole games on the Wii U that came with the system that were digital, I guess tough luck?
  7. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

8. Samor

Samor Foundry

No-one knows yet.

As for Wii-U, Nintendo can say what it wants but it's not gonna last for much longer.
    Kellicros likes this.
  9. PsyMan

PsyMan Banned

This thing is overpowered for what it is. The new tegra has killing performance.

What seems troubling is the battery. Not the battery life. Everything else regarding it. It sits next to an overpowered and literally hot processor and it does not seem removable. That's a recipe for disaster.

Then you have the processor being passively cooled. Wonder how much it will throttle...
    Kellicros likes this.
  10. Hy-Def

Hy-Def Chubbychu. (AKA Pikachu-bby (AKA Pikachu-BBW))

Guys, guys! Holy shit! It's PsyMan!

Whenever an older member comes around... I remember the good ol days!
    PsyMan likes this.
  11. Kellicros

Kellicros retired Contributors

Seriously they need to make the battery removable, I really don't mind the battery life if I could have spare batteries with me.
    PsyMan likes this.
  12. Samor

Samor Foundry

well, nvidia/tegra does have a track record for running quite hot...
    PsyMan likes this.
  13. Mikhail000

Mikhail000 New Member

I'm hoping it supports the new 900Mhz HaLow, so I can have decent connection for it upstairs when undocked from my main tv downstairs.
  14. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

Read a report on Eurogamer today.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-switch-spec-analysis
    Says Switch is based on Tegra X1 like a Shield tv (we knew that) but runs slower due to temp and battery constrains.

Leaked specs.

Undocked
    CPU Speed. 1020mhz
    GPU Speed. 307.2mhz
    Memory 1331/1600mhz

Docked.
    CPU Speed 1020mhz
    GPU Speed 307.2/768mhz
    Memory 1331/1600mhz

Shield tv review on anandtech.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9289/the-nvidia-shield-android-tv-review/2
    Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 11.14.36 AM.png

What's funny is that the shield tv gpu runs at 1000mhz, so even docked this doesn't fully use the gpu.

I think Nintendo rushed with this and didn't wait for the Pascal version of Tegra.

I know they don't follow the specs race but this is very slow in a time where consoles are getting the "PRO" moniker.

At least the Shield TV displays 4k HDMI 2.0.

Btw I have a shield tv and I'm very happy with it, is still the fastest android tv set top box in the market. Only the consoles are faster than it. Even dolphin runs okay on it.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  15. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

Nintendo sell dreams and gimmicks and they are extremely good at it. Despite my bad first impression the handhel...errm... console is gonna sale like hot cakes because is the Wii re-encarnation. While is going to be very popular is just another Nintendo product that is gonna be full of niche/kiddo/weirdo/mobile games for the casuals and judging by the power i guess that's pretty much what you will get. I own a Tegra X1 based tablet and compared to console power is nothing but shit.

Mark my words.....
  16. Samor

Samor Foundry

We will see. If it's popular enough it could become a leading platform, not a following one.
  17. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

The tablet is K1 If IIRC.

And agree with you, it will sell like hotcakes.
  18. Linktothepast

Linktothepast Deus ex machina

The leaked specs don't make much sense, if that is the case i doubt if it is any better than the wiiu and from the games shown it seems the opposite. For example the very low cpu speed when docked, i mean what's the point of that? Also maxwell has 0.5 fp32 teraflop performance and the leaked specs say for a gimped underclocked even when docked maxwell, maybe closer to 0.35 fp32 teraflop performance, pretty close to wiiu. Close to it when docked and maybe worse than that when not? Seeing the zelda performance with it and other games shown it doesn't line up with the rumors i believe.

For example see this trailer, how is it even close to a wiiu game:
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  19. Mikhail000

Mikhail000 New Member

Yeah but Zelda doesn't look anywhere near as good as this, it's still using excessive bloom and cell shading tricks to hide it's low quality textures, imo it doesn't look any better than a wii game let alone a wiiu game apart from it being a higher output res to get rid of the aliasing on 3d models.
  20. koko

koko ! Award Winner!

Nintendo wants their new console to not cost more than $250... I think...