No$PSX v.1.7 a few games tested.

Discussion in 'no$psx Discussion' started by SolisX, Dec 4, 2013.

1. SolisX

SolisX Member

Hello Nocash.

Here a few games tested with no$psx. This was tested on WIndows XP with your nocash bios clone. All Games are US-NTSC.

[​IMG]

Reference Key
    Green - Game was played from begining to the end.
    Orange - Game is not fully tested.
    Red - Game does not work.
    White - Got to retest game.

Note: Some games such as Resident Evil 2 you may want to save to memory card 2 as its a shared memory card. Also 2D games may have minor video glitches when rendering quads as triangles.

Alundra - Full Test Rating 93% no$psx v 1.7 Windows XP Home Edition Borders disappear when you save,minor slowdown in desert and noise spikes.

Blaster Master - Games loops fmv when pressing start.

Castlevania SOTN - Full Test Rating 98% no$psx v 1.7 Windows XP Home Edition Minor video problems and sound spikes.

Capcom vs SNK Pro - Full Test Rating 98% no$psx v 1.7 Windows XP Home Edition There is an issue if you render quads as triangles.(Don't use triangles for now and you should be ok).

Crash Team Racing - Full Test Rating 98% no$psx v.1.7 Windows XP Home Edition Sound spikes.

Dark Stalkers 3 - Full Test Rating 98% no$psx v 1.7 Windows XP Home Edition Noise spikes. (Don't render quads as triangle for this game it will cause minor video glitches)

Dino Crisis - Full Test Rating 95% no$psx v 1.8 Windows XP Home Edition At scenes audio repeats sometimes.

Dino Crisis 2 - Full Test Rating 95% no$psx v 1.8 Windows XP Home Edition At scenes audio repeats sometimes and noise spikes.

Fatal Fury Wild Ambition - boots no$psx v1.8

Final Fantasy 7 - Full Test Rating 96% no$psx v 1.7 Windows XP Home Edition minor video problems and some sounds sound different.

Final Fantasy 9 - sound is gargling in fmv.

Gaunlet Legends - boots

Gex - game freezes.

Gundam Battle Assault 2 - boots no$psx v1.8

Legend Of Dragoon - Full Test Rating 93% no$psx 1.7 Windows XP Home Edition I had the game stop loading the next area about 1 time per disc. You should be ok as long as you save often. Some noise spikes.

Legacy of Kain - Full Test Rating 85% no$psx v 1.7 Windows XP Home Edition A lot of slowdowns when there is to many enemies on the screen, when using some spells,sound issues,1 inch left side of the scrolls a bit slower and there is a little red line to the right of the screen .

Megaman 8 - Full Test Rating 100% no$psx v 1.7 Windows XP Home Edition

Megaman X4 - Full Test Rating 100% no$psx v 1.7 Windows XP Home Edition

Megaman X5 - Full Test Rating 95% no$psx v 1.7 Windows XP Home Edition Slow down in the Dark Dizzy stage. Screen is slightly not centered on bottom and left sides of the screen.

Megaman X6 - Rating 100% no$psx v 1.7 Windows XP Home Edition At the last stage where you fight all the boss games will randomly hang. Music goes out before the hang.

Metal Gear - boots if you press start before the logos end. At scenes audio beeps or ends before dialogs are done. Also problems with not accessing the disc fast enough causing a lot of pauses during game play. Sounds are different then what they should be.

Need For Speed 3 - sound problems.

One - game sees 6 memory cards. There is a problem with saving to memory cards. If you save the game to memory card the game will not boot until you delete the One.mcd memory card. I would suggest just use the passwords for this game (Wont be tested until issue is addressed)

Parasite Eve 1 - Full Test Rating 100% no$psx v.1.7 Windows XP Home Edition

Parasite Eve 2 - does not work.

Rayman - stays at ubisoft logo.

Resident Evil (Jill Scenerio) - Full Test Rating 96% no$psx v 1.7 Windows XP Home Edition Minor video problems.

Resident Evil 2 Claire's Disc (1st Scenerio) - Full Test Rating 96% no$psx v.1.7 Windows XP Home Edition minor video problems and sound spikes.

Resident Evil 2 Leon's Disc (2nd Scenerio) - Full Test Rating 96% no$psx v.1.7 Windows XP Home Edition minor video problems and sound spikes.

Ridge Racer - Saving problem fixed no$psx v 1.8 Windows XP Home Edition

Ridge Racer Type 4 - Full Test Rating 98% no$psx v 1.7 Windows XP Home Edition Minor video problem.

Soul Blade - sound problems.

Spyro 2 - sound goes out sometimes at scenes.

Spython Filtler 2 - boots no$psx v1.8

Spython Filtler 3 - boots no$psx v1.8

Street Fighter Alpha 3 - Full Test Rating 100% no$psx v 1.7 Windows XP Home Edition

Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider 2

Wild Arms - save working no$psx v1.8

X-men Mutant Academy - boots no$psx v1.8
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Shendo

Shendo Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Metal Gear Solid (PAL) works here but with low FPS.
    Rayman relies on CDDA working properly (it's actually waiting for a track to finish playing), same thing happens in ePSXe if you only run data track with "Run ISO".

Check TTY debug window - debug messages when running games. Some of those might hang on unknown patches.
    If that happens report that info to Martin and use real BIOS to test the game.
  4. SolisX

SolisX Member

Hello Shendo,

My version of Metal Gear Solid is the US-NTSC. It just hangs after logos. I'll try checking TTY debug window.
  5. nocash

nocash Emu author Emu Author

Thanks for the bug reports! Damn, the Dino Crisis 1-2 games stopped working again - I did had them working at some point between v1.6 and v1.7 releases, but I must have destroyed something before finishing v1.7 : - /
    The two games worked when firing the MDEC completion DMA interrupt around 30000 cycles after the DMA transfer (30000 was just some guessed random value), in the final release I've reduced it to 500 cycles (also a guessed random value), as far as I remember that was still working with the Dino games. But then I've also emulated the DMA transmission time, and that did probably blew up things (having the 500 cycles counted from transfer START, instead of counted from transfer COMPLETION, so, if the transfer takes 500 cycles or longer, then the interrupt would fire instantly after completion, which won't work for that games).

For the Tomb Raider games unexpected error. That sounds like a corrupt CDROM image (or bad filename extension). Didn't you mention something about CUE+ISO instead of CUE+BIN?
    The way how I do understand the cdrom formats/extensions, ISO would be a single data track, which shouldn't be used for for Tomb Raider games since they have additional audio tracks. Though I should support that CUE+ISO combination (or generate a better error message), the homebrew Sporting Clays game is using CUE+ISO, too, so that misnamed extensions seem to be occassionally used.
  6. SolisX

SolisX Member

Hello nocash,

No problem. The tomb raiders are .cue/.img i forgot i reimage them. I can try the actual cd.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  7. Felipefpl

Felipefpl Member

Hehe, this sure will stay with you as a lesson, try all the games again before release. :p ;)

Btw, unrelated stuff, if you want a challenge u should try espgaluda, i saw reports that say this game isnt correctly emulated by any psx emulator, just a hint. ;)
  8. SolisX

SolisX Member

Hello nocash,

Here are some screenshots of minor issues saw in some games.

Crashbandicootwarped - black areas when using quads.
    [​IMG]

Metal Gear - when rendering quads as triangles.
    [​IMG]

Resident Evil 2 - blocks
    [​IMG]

Resident Evil 2 - discoloration
    [​IMG]

Syphon Filter 2 - glitch by radar
    [​IMG]
  9. nocash

Oops, my quad renderer can draw only convex polygons. I wasn't aware that PSX games could use concave quads.

My triangle drawing code still has some huge rounding errors... it looks really bad in games that display text as quad polygons (like the "Konami" logo) instead of as rectangles.

Blocks? You mean it hangs/freezes? The picture looks blocky? The audio sounds blocky?

Doesn't look that wrong to me... I am not even sure what is wrong with that games. You don't eventually have picture that shows how they should look like?
  10. SolisX

SolisX Member

Hello nocash,

The Resident evil 2 does not freeze. It just the black color blocks on the image and the discoloration is minor. Spython Filter 2 like i
    said it just a minor issue.
  11. SolisX

SolisX Member

Hello Nocash,

Just a few screenchots of some minor issues.

Alundra - Still has borders.Good
    [​IMG]

Alundra - Missing borders after trying to save.
    [​IMG]

Final Fantasy 7- Lines should not be there.
    [​IMG]

Spiderman - Web line did not disappear.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  12. Exophase

Exophase Emu author Emu Author

Sorry if this very late reply is already known to you now >_>

It just converts them into pairs of triangles anyway. The shading/texturing doesn't match bilinear interpolation you'd expect of a quad, with the right examples you can see it really obviously bend at the seam where the triangles split.

I think some PS1 emulators render quads directly to avoid artifacts with things like text. If you don't align the edges to whole steps you end up with jittery looking texturing.
  13. nocash

Thanks. But which games are that? Looks as if you forgot to mention their titles?

Yes, I know. Rendering quads as quads instead of triangles is just an optional feature (though I think I have it enabled by default, which is maybe not the best choice for real-hardware feeling).
    The advantage is that 3D textures are looking less distorted as on the real perspective-incorrect hardware. Downside is that gouraud shading can look other as intended (eg. the Sony logo in the BIOS intro), and of course I should have recursed concave quads.

Should be working in next update. I've found some info about the game needing a "lengthy CdlPause delay of roughly 3 read frames" (http://pcsxr.codeplex.com/workitem/7138).
    The "roughly 3 read frames" part wasn't quite clear, so I've tested the 2nd response time for Pause command on real hardware: It occurs almost instantly if the drive was already paused (after around 1D00h cycles), and after reading about 5 sectors if the drive was reading (after around 100000h cycles for double-speed, or 200000h cycles for single-speed)).
    Also very uncommon: That game initializes the stack pointer as if the PSX would contain 8MB RAM instead of 2MB (that detail didn't cause problems - it's just very odd).
  14. SolisX

SolisX Member

Hello Nocash,

Ok i add the name of the games to the screenshots. Glad to hear that Gundam Battle Assault 2 will
    work in the next version. :) :)
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  15. nocash

Found the problem in Spiderman: It's caused by a bug in the game, and a bug in my emulation. The game bug is that it renders some quads with Y coordinates FBxxh and FCxxh, which should be both negative, and both offscreen - but the PSX hardware clips them to 11bit values, ie. 3xxh (positive!) and 4xxh (negative), so the poly should be drawn across the whole screen from top to bottom - but the PSX hardware simply ignores any polygons that are bigger than width=1023 or height=511. The emulation bug is that I did already have (tried to) implement that width/height limit, but I messed up values with/without fractional parts, so the height>511 limit didn't work as planned. Will be easy fix. The Final Fantasy 7 screenshot looks like the same problem.

Alundra is somehow smashing the CLUT (color palette) values for some textures, making them all black. But I haven't yet figured out why that is happening.
  16. nocash

Yeah, thanks. But "espgaluda" appears to be a PS2 game, not a PSX game?
  17. SolisX

SolisX Member

Hello Nocash,

Just want to make sure you know Megaman x6 - At the last stage where you fight all the boss games will randomly hang. Music goes out before the hang. Metal Gear boots only if i press start before logos end other wise it freezes,other issue with metal gear is that the cd-rom icon keeps poping up causing alot of slow down in areas where there is a scene and at scenes audio beeps or ends before dialogs are done..
  18. Shendo

Shendo Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Not a bug. Developers simply decided not to place "paused" on the screen. I checked on a real PS1 to be sure.
  19. Felipefpl

Felipefpl Member

oops, sorry, my bad, i saw msgs from ppl saying it's a hard game to emulate and i thought it was a psx game :confused: well, at least if you mess with ps2 in the future you got a hint of a good challenge to you. :p
  20. SolisX

SolisX Member

Helllo Shendo,

I don't know why i remember a pause screen but, thanks i change in the compatibility list.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  21. SolisX

SolisX Member

Hello Nocash,

As far as Alundra the only emulators i remember not having that issue are pSX and Arbex maybe you can find something about it from them. Also I'm testing Legend of Dragoon but i have gotten 2 bsod so far the first one happen just before switching to disc 2 and the other one at the Home of Giganto boss fight. Once i reloaded the game the game continued fine but, i guess its stops reading the disc for some reason.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014