No$PSX v.1.7 a few games tested.

Discussion in 'no$psx Discussion' started by SolisX, Dec 4, 2013.

1. nocash

nocash Emu author Emu Author

Window sizing, maximizing & fullscreen mode should be working all later no$xxx emus (if you were talking about the GAME window).

The no$gba gaming version is intentionally having most GUI function removed, and requires a ROM-image being loaded to be of any use. So far it makes sense to prompt for a ROM-image. Only (big) problem is that it's blocking the Recent File selection until one has loaded a dummy ROM. Maybe I can include some screensaver-like dummy ROM in future versions, so the emulator can start running (and GUI can be accessed) with needing to select a ROM.

Yes, same problem as in the Syphoon Filter screenshot (somewhere earlier in this thread). I think it's because I am using the same rendering function for Lines and Polygons. I'll need to do something about pixel accurate rendering someday.
  2. SolisX

SolisX Member

Hello Nocash,

Just tested some games out in the no$psx v.1.8.

Fatat Fury Wild Abitions - Now boots.
    Dino Crisis 1 & 2 are now working good.
    Gundam Battle Assualt 2 - Now boots.
    Ridge Racer - Saving problem is fixed.
    Wild Arms -Saving problem is fixed.
    Xmen Mutant Academy - Now boots.

These game remain a problem.

Blaster Master - Keeps loops intro FMV.

Final Fantasy 9 - sound is gargling in fmv.

Gex - Games freezes up.

Metal Gear - Must press start before logos end or the game hangs there. Sounds sound different. At scenes audio beeps or ends before dialogs are done. Also problems with not accessing the disc fast enough causing a lot of pauses during game play.

Need For Speed - Sound Problems.

Parasite Eve 2 - Hangs after pressing start.

Rayman - Hangs at black screen.
  3. nocash

Many thanks! Let's see...

Blaster Master - yes, the exact issue was that it shows to main menu only for a very short duration, so it works, but one must push joypad buttons quickly to get the game started. I still haven't figured out what is going wrong there. Maybe it does just need cdrom seek delays emulated (which might cause the main menu to be displayed about 1-2 seconds longer).

Gex... that is Gex - Enter the Gecko (SLUS-00598)? That one seems to be working... at least so far that one can collect some carrots. Or is it some other "Gex" title, or does it hang somewhere later in the game?

Metal Gear... that is Metal Gear Solid, right? That one... yes, it does sometimes hang after the logos / before showing the submarine intro scene. But it doesn't hang always. Looks as if I have forgot to initialize some I/O ports or timers... causing it to work/hang randomly.
  4. SolisX

SolisX Member

Hello Nocash,

No Problem. Gex is the 2D one not GEX - Enter the Gecko thats the 3d one. It hangs if you wait in the menu or a few seconds after starting the game.
    [​IMG]

BTW: Is there a way to load a disc with the psxtny graphical interface? And forgot to mention Megaman X6 at the last stage where you fight all the boss games will randomly hang. Music goes out before the hang is a problem in no$psx v 1.8.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  5. nocash

Found the problem with Gex, and Final Fantasy 9, and Tokimeki Memorial 2 and maybe some further games: The PSX interrupt flags are edge triggered, I did have implemented for most IRQ sources, but not for SPU irq. I am afraid that my SPU-ADPCM interrupt timing isn't perfect yet, but the games are working a lot better with the edge-triggering (ie. IF.bit9 should get set only if SPUSTAT.6 changes from 0 to 1).

Megaman X6 is having a new bug that appeared in v1.8, but was working in v1.7?
  6. SolisX

SolisX Member

Hello Nocash,

Good to hear you figured it out! And the Megaman X6 problem is a problem i found on the 1.7 but, is still present in the 1.8.
  7. SolisX

SolisX Member

Hello Nocash,

The issue with One not booting up after saving is still an issue in psx v.1.8.
  8. SolisX

SolisX Member

Hello Nocash,

I noticed that Capcom Vs SNK Pro hangs if you let the game just play
    by itself. After the begining movie.
  9. cloudstr

cloudstr New Member

Hi nocash
    LMA Manager 2002 freeze after first screen.
  10. SolisX

SolisX Member

Hello Nocash,

Need For Speed V-Rally 2 - hangs while loading up.

Driver - Hangs after you hit try again.
  11. nocash

Thanks for the bug reports! I haven't tested all of those games. But at least some of them should be working in no$psx v1.9 (released today), and maybe some of the games that I haven't tested are working now, too. Would be great if you could re-test them - and best post results in new thread called "no$psx v1.9 games tested / bug reports" or so.

One should be working now, unless you switch the new "number of memory cards" to eight/multitap, which was causing the problems in old version. Would be still nice if somebody could test the game on real hardware with multitap (no$psx v1.9 is only bypassing the problem, but I still don't know if it's a bug in the game, or a bug in the emulation).

Blaster Master still doesn't work properly. Even with the new low-level cdrom emulation it's showing the main menu only for a short moment. As it's best, the low-level emulation is inserting a long delay before showing the main menu, but not while displaying it. Whatever is causing that problem, it doesn't seem to be related to drive mechanic seek times.

Gran Turismo 1 - I don't remember where I got that bug report from, per email or in this forum. Anyways, that game was issuing GetLocL commands, which failed because the seek busy flag was still set, causing intro movie to be missing, and showing lots of "restart xa" messages after the main menu. I was originally thinking that the game required ultra-short seek times for cases when the drive head is already at the selected target, but that assumption seems to have been wrong (it only fixed the "restart xa" problem, but not the missing intro movie).
    Fortunately the new low-level cdrom emu helped me out: Looking at the TTY/IRQ logs, it became obvious that the game used GetStat to sense seek-ends - by checking for the Read bit getting SET (rather than by checking for Seek bit getting CLEARED). Whilst, in my high-level cdrom emu, I was setting the Read bit instantly (before seek completion).
    As by now, that's been the only case where the new low-level emu was actually useful, which is, well, better than nothing. It was definitely interesting to emulate the cdrom controller. And maybe a few more games will show up in future that do work only in low-level mode.