NOT Anime

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Spyhop, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Hy-Def

Hy-Def Chubbychu. (AKA Pikachu-bby (AKA Pikachu-BBW))

I finished Stranger Things recently and what I have to say is it's amazing. Even though I never experience the 80s,it feels so nostalgic to me. I love it.

Breaking Bad I finished as well, yes, late to the party, I know. Amazing show, and worthy of all its praise. I might have preferred it ending at the 4th season, because I felt the first half of the final season was slow, but the second half redeemed it for me.
  2. aceloop

aceloop Say what one more time..

@Thanakil have you watched con man, knowing that you like firefly? if so any good?

for everyone else who doesnt what con man is.. V

3. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

I watched the first Season and the first two episodes of Season 2.

Season 1 started a bit slow but got good really quickly afterward. Season 2 started awesome right from the beginning.
    The show definitely had Firefly fans in mind, but any fan of Sci-fi should be able to relate to the theme of the show. It focuses on the life of a Sci-fi actor who finds it impossible to continue his career, as both the fans and the industry are incapable of separating him from his previous character. He's now limited to finding more roles in sci-fi, a genre that is slowly losing popularity.
    Which is extra funny considering this is written and produced by Alan Tudyk, who's now voicing a robot in Star Wars: Rogue One.

The episodes are very short, only 10 minutes each. But once the show hits its stride, 10 minutes is plenty. Wish Season 2 released all at once instead of 2 episodes a week.
    Also, there's Amy Acker acting crazy in it. And I don't find anything sexier than Amy Acker acting crazy.
    aceloop likes this.
  4. Thanakil

I watched the first season of People of Earth. It's a show following a journalist who went to research a support group for people who were abducted by aliens.
    Some believe that they were taken by reptilians, others by short gray aliens with big eyes, and two women believe they met a tall Nordic man with long blond hair.

Turns out, they're all correct. Those aliens exist, are planning to invade the earth, and the aliens in charge of abductions are cynical assholes who hate their jobs.
  5. shinra358

shinra358 Member

This looks great and all but it doesn't look as realistic and the previous cgi ones before it.
  6. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

I'm only now getting into Brooklyn Nine-Nine and it is magnificently hilarious. Every character is likeable, there's a unique positive vibe that works so well, the crew is hilarious and it's remarkable how from episode 1 everything gels so perfectly.

So damn good.
    Thanakil likes this.
  7. Thanakil

The first season of The Good Place ended so beautifully. Through the first season, the show kept changing the rules on the audience. They didn't simply build a concept and then milked it to create good jokes, they actually kept switching things around, creating a new concept, then a new one, again and again. And the show remained very clever and funny.
    And now, with the finale, things just got even more exciting. I really do hope the show comes back for a second season after this.

----
    I watched the first season of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. It was a very interesting and funny show.
    It follows a bellhop who works for a hotel where a weird murder is committed, and the detective who forces him to be his assistant. The thing is, Dirk Gently doesn't try to find clues or tail people. He simply lives and follows his instincts (or so he says) to see what happens around him. And due to his belief that 'everything is connected', he simply finds himself in situations which slowly help him resolve his cases.
    As they work on the case, a holistic serial killer travels the country following the same concept. She travels and whenever she finds herself stopping somewhere, she kills the people around. While she has no specific goal, she knows she must kill one person: Dirk Gently. She doesn't know or asks why - it's simply how her world works.
    Then there are the secret agents tailing Dirk for some reason, the cops tailing Todd for his link to the murder, Todd's sister with a strange disease, a bodyguard trying to solve the murder, and a weird cult searching for a cat?dog?machine?.
    Due to the way the mystery is investigated, it can be hard to follow where the story is going. And the characters sometime share our confusion.
    I would say that if the bridge scene in the second episode doesn't sell the show to someone, then the show is probably not for them. If the scene does sell them the show, then keep going until the end.