PAL vs NTSC and broken ports.

Discussion in 'Misc PSX Discussion' started by FoxSevent, May 26, 2017.

1. FoxSevent

FoxSevent Not a Registered User

I'm curious, is there a list of broken PAL to NTSC conversions and how even that works.
    Like there are many games that were lazily converted, for example,

Final Fantasy IX PAL the game runs slower then the NTSC copy, which can screw your Excalibur II run, as the time is the same, so rather the 12h to do it you have around 10h.
    Disney's Hercule Adventure Game, same deal game runs slower then it's NTSC counterpart.

This is lazy conversion, they just slowed the game from 30FPS to 25FPS to match the PAL standard and shipped the game.
    In a proper conversion they would have to change the speed of the game, to match the NTSC copy with less frames.

Lastly many pirated games came with NTSC PAL Selector, how did that work? im sure it changed the resolution to match, but what about framerate?
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. dpence

dpence New Member

resolution only usually... not sure the PSX had a pal 60 mode... so pal converted to ntsc would just run a little faster.....games like crash bandicoot were proper converted to an extent, ntsc users get screwed by black bars top and bottom, pal was real full screen
  4. FoxSevent

True, but that can easily be fixed by overscan, wich CRT TVs did, id much rather have a black bar then slower running game.
  5. dpence

dpence New Member

ahhh but the pal crash games do not run slower...the frame rate might be 50 instead of 60 but game speed is the same
  6. FoxSevent

Yes, in Crash case it was properly converted, but as i mentioned previously not all games were properly converted, devs just decided to screw and just cut the framerate without adjusting game speed, making it run slower, as games speed on the PS1 is tied to the FPS.

I'm looking for a list of such broken games.