PC DnD games

Discussion in 'Game/Console Discussion' started by Dynamo, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Dynamo

Dynamo Unrelenting

Been playing a few of these lately, but I'm running out of ones to try.. I think I'm going to try the Temple of Elemental Evil next, heard you need fan patches to enjoy it but whatever I'll try anyways. Can anyone recommend some other DnD style pc games to try that I might not have tried? I've played quite a few of them.. The ones I can remember mostly are Torment and the BG, Icewind Dale, Might and Magic series games.. Wizardry 8 was surprisingly good as well.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

those you listed are the primary ones for any dnd fan to play and to enjoy. theres also neverwinter nights 1 with fan mad campaigns install like the diablo 1 remake and a few other good ones i cant think of off the top of my head. if your going to install toee then may i suggest heading over to Sorcerer's Place - Dragon Age: Origins, Neverwinter Nights 2, Storm of Zehir, Dungeons & Dragons News, Walkthroughs, Guides, Screenshots for some info on what fan made pataches to install and you may even reinstall the older games again to run some of the good fan made mods for them.
  4. Dynamo

Dynamo Unrelenting

Thanks, checking it out. What surprises me is the amount of user content made for a game I just recently heard of, when a game like Torment (which I think that and BG 2 are the best I've played, though BG 2 has quite a bit of user stuff I see) has hardly anything.
  5. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

there are multiple mods that can be applied to both games sence they both use the same Infinity engine.and heres a site that gets updated constatnly with modding info if you wanna take a look and it also has a lot of great tuts if you look hard enough. Spellhold Studios - CRPG Modding Community
  6. Dynamo

Dynamo Unrelenting

One thing that I didn't expect so far was the full turn based combat but I guess that keeps a level or accuracy with rules. Still enjoyable, but I've been having one issue with it on my laptop. The framerate seems fine and keyboard commands seem responsive but my mouse.. It doesn't move properly, considerable input lag. When I press esc though and it shows the load/save/quit option at the bottom of the screen my input lag goes away, as soon as I press esc again it's back.
  7. Cid Highwind

Cid Highwind The Hunter

I can wholeheartedly recommend Neverwinter Nights 2, as it is the warm up towards the best DnD RPG since Shadows of Amn: Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer. It is simply the most epic DnD adventure I've ever played, even though I haven't played Planescape Torment.
  8. Dynamo

Dynamo Unrelenting

I tried a little while after it came out but didn't have much success getting it to run enjoyably on any of my systems. Even my core duo with a nvidia 9800 was having serious issues, maybe they've fixed a few things though.
  9. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

yesyesyesyes

There are some games in this world that if you name them, someone, somewhere, will reinstall them. That's one of them.
    If it's performance issue, you should be fine (I played with a similar setup, C2D@2.4ghz, 9600GT, got good performance with settings being medium/high). If it's bugs and the likes, they've released a lot of patches since the game was released, so I expect most issues were fixed.

You could also try Mysteries of Westgate, a small 'adventure pack' for NWN2. It won't be as great as Mask of the Betrayer, but it's still a good game.
  10. Geralt Of Rivia

Geralt Of Rivia CDProjekt Supporter

If I'm not mistaken Baldur's Gate is based on AD&D rules. I only played BG1. At start the game looks cool, but it gets too repetitive as you progress,
    it's tiresome.
  11. Exodus

Exodus ...and now they do.

It's a slower, more calculated game. VERY hard to get into, but quite enjoyable.
  12. Cid Highwind

Cid Highwind The Hunter

Indeed, I've been playing Icewind Dale recently, and it's exactly the same. I think I need to suffer the disgrace of switching to Easy mode, as I just cannot get past some points at normal DnD rules. I really hate it, because I love to play things by the book. It's not like my characters are bad either, my team is balanced and I know some good tricks for crowd control, still the difficulty is next to impossible. Too much reloading...
  13. Dynamo

Dynamo Unrelenting

You need some patience to play these games that's for sure.. This TOEE game so far is noticeably more brutal and unforgiving, I had to reload twice on my first battle with two giant spiders, webbed my group then preceded to poison and drain the strength of a few of my members to 8. (which happened to be my paladin and fighter :( Also these stats take days to return and can't afford magical healing ) After that pretty brutal initiation I thought I'd try the moathouse, after being eaten by giant frogs a few times over finally managed to beat that. This afternoons goal.. kill the bandits.

Trying it as a lawful good party; Paladin, Fighter, Cleric, Bard, Mage.
  14. Desred

Desred crazy person

If you also don't mind other rulesets the Northland triology isn't bad (though these are from 1992-1996 developed. Also Drakensang which is from 2006 and recently got its sequel.)

Also everyone forgets here Arcanum. Damn you all.

There are also tons of other great games developed during the ninties.

If you want to talk about it, I'm available.
  15. Geralt Of Rivia

Geralt Of Rivia CDProjekt Supporter

I played til the end, at the beginning it was very enjoyable. But it became tiresome by the time I was at that mine, which those guys comes to you and say: "get me out of this hellhole" !
  16. Desred

Desred crazy person

Well, IWD is a game loved for challenging combat. It gets hard yes, but Its doable.
  17. Cid Highwind

Cid Highwind The Hunter

Of course it's doable, just like smashing your head through a brick wall. If it's healthy for your sanity is a whole different issue :p

@ Geralt: I think Baldur's Gate 1 is a nice intro to BG2, but in terms of experience it is more like Icewind Dale 1 than BG2. Shadows of Amn is simply one of the best stories written, with stunning dialogues and voice acting. It is much more story focused.
  18. Desred

Desred crazy person

Doesn't really have to do with sanity moreso with your own prefences. (And yes, I loved IDW. ^^)

Shadows of Ann was indeed not badly written. But there are tons of games (most of them in the Adventure Gerne and several in the rpg one) that are better written.

From the viewpoint of an overall experience though. SOA is certainly a contender for the best overall rpg experience out there.
  19. Cid Highwind

Cid Highwind The Hunter

Yup, I'm still proud of SoA being rated as the 6th best game at Metacritic. And I understand what you mean with personal preferences. The game is simply a tough nut to crack and every battle is a puzzle. I'm no fan of min/maxing characters either due to my semi-roleplaying attitude. Personally I feel it's the best written game I've played, but well, I might have missed out on some gems that you played ;)
  20. Desred

Desred crazy person

First of all: Please consider that if a story is epic isn't a part how I rate them when it comes to writing so our opinions may very much differ. (Also I rate dialouge high). For example: I like a short story with wit and a deep meaning better than a drawn out incredibly shallow epic.

I'm pretty sure you have played several of them including MOTB which you personally recommended here. It also includes: PST, the dig, Bloodlines, The longest Journey, LOK, the list is much much longer.

But since this is probably way more opinion related. Well,....

Let's just get back to the topic. ^^
  21. Cid Highwind

Cid Highwind The Hunter

Quality of quantity makes sense of course :) Like graphics, a "story" is also more than just the events happening, there's dialogue, lore, plot and perhaps even other factors. I still have to play PST, the dig I have never heard of. Bloodlines left a very big impression on me when I played it in 2005. The Longest Journey is probably one of those games that flew under the radar. LOK = Legacy of Kain?