(PC) Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition

Discussion in 'Game Reviews' started by DarkSamus, Sep 5, 2011.

1. DarkSamus

DarkSamus PC game modder Award Winner!

Intro:

Published By: Capcom
    Developed By: Dimps/Capcom
    Genre: 1 on 1 Fighting

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition is the newest update to the Street Fighter 4 series. This revised edition adds 14 new characters compared to PC's only other SF4 release, new Ultra's for the existing fighters, new backgrounds, new game modes such as Endless battle (My favorite) and the return of bonus stages.

DRM (0/10):

The DRM originally announced for the game was actually not nice, but gladly it was patched out within the first 2 weeks or so of release.

Before patching if you didn't have a key you only had the option to select from 15 of the fighters and if you lose a constant connection to the internet you are kicked out to the main menu at the end of current bout without saving progress.

After a lot of complaints it was announced even before its release that the game would be patched shortly after to remove the constant connection, character limit and make it playable offline, this has since happened.

This time the keys are SSA so once you use the key its locked to the GFWL account it was registered to so with this you now get unlimited installs instead of an install limit of 15 times.
    Also after you install the game the .exe is already a no-dvd patch. So no need to insert the disc in your drive to play.

HOORAY TO CAPCOM FOR LISTENING TO ITS FANS!

System Tested On:

Minimum System Requirements:
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.0 GHz and up
    Memory: 1 GB RAM
    Graphics: DirectX 9.0c/Shader3.0 and up supported (operation on-board is not guaranteed)
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 and up (except for NVIDIA GeForce 7300), VRAM: 256MB and up (operation sharing with main memory is not guaranteed)
    Hard Drive: 4.5 GB free hard drive space
    Sound: DirectSound, DirectX9.0c Compatible Audio
    Other Requirements: Online play requires software installation of and log-in to Games For Windows - LIVE

My System:
    Processor: Intel Core i7 @ 2.8GHz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz
    Video Card: GeForce GTX470
    Control: 2x PS2 pads via USB adapters.

Gameplay (9/10):

The game feels faster and not as "floaty" as Vanilla (SF4)

Playing against the AI gets old very fast, but its the online play where this game really shines. The battles are intense and you will get a very smooth connection (Look for for green bars in strength bar), the best part is there is a tonne of fighting going on out there and if you stick to your region you should encounter very few issues getting a fight in short time.

Although AE looks and feels like an evolutionary step rather then a revolutionary one, the inclusion of 14 new characters and a secondary Ultra for all characters adds enough to keep the game fun and fresh for casual and hardcore players alike.

The truth is that for all the new characters and Ultra's the vast majority of changes and tweaks to core gameplay are so precise that only the most dedicated fans will really notice.

Graphics (8.5/10):

The art direction in AE is just as gorgeous as in Vanilla. The detail in the characters and backgrounds are still gorgeous. The anime opening and closing scenes however are still a huge disappointment as they are nothing short of ugly and unappealing to say the least.

Sound (7/10):

The English voice acting is still horrible with characters like the "French" Abel speaking in an American accent, Zangief sounds like a different person from word to word and the commentator has no solid idea of pronunciation or pacing mangling words and running them together with abandon (Although the commentary does tend to grow on you after some time!). The English Voice acting is horrible right across the board and annoying but thankfully the game features the original voice acting for all the characters once again.

(Yes this section was mostly a cut/paste from my Vanilla review)

Overall (8/10):

There are however some things you may want to know before purchasing the game just yet.
    If you have a Nvidia chipset you might have problems with inputs on some controllers. Using a 360 Controller Emulator can fix most problems.
    There is no force feedback support at all though for anyone as this option has mysteriously disappeared.
    4 of 39 characters are playable, but not fully integrated into the game. They have no rival battle cutscenes and no trials to complete.
    The 103 costumes that contain 3 more costumes for the the first 25 from Vanilla and 2 for the rest including the 4 AE exclusive characters that were released on console are in one big pack for $15.00 which is a bargain compared to consoles and it considered by most to be a steal however the costumes you may have paid for already vanilla must be re-bought for this version. (But are included in the 103 costume for $15.00 deal which is why they have the one extra costume each in the pack ;) )
    These costumes are already on the disc only as a necessity to make it so if you haven't bought the costumes you can still fight someone that has and is using them.

Ultimately the questions of quality and value come down to how much you like the Street Fighter franchise. If you're like me and have loved everything that has come before (aside from the awkward 3D EX titles) and played Vanilla fairly steadily over the past 2 years, then AE is an essential upgrade. If you played for a few months and put it down not long after, there's really nothing to bring you back here aside from the fact that Ken and Sagat are far less likely to be the only 2 characters played online.

Reactions To Racism: (5/10):

This is just speculation, but it appears as though Capcom has overreacted to the accusations of racism aimed at RE5. The Street Fighters have always been fiercely national (and in many ways grotesquely stereotypical) warriors... until now. There are no flags during victory, no mention of a country during the level select and no national branding of anything whatsoever. After Capcom made a fuss about new character Juri being Korean, in the final release she is from "South Asia" and her level is just "Exciting Street Scene"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am "Riss85" on GFWL in case anyone wants to look for me/fight me ;)
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. DarkSamus

DarkSamus PC game modder Award Winner!

I am likely to re-write this constantly over the next week as I did this in a rush while really tired.
    I have added a tonne of info about the short-comings, added the DRM section and done some re-thinking with the scores ;)
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  4. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

I think it would be interesting to add a section on increased value over the original SF4. And I don't just mean list the changes I also mean thoughts on them.