PCSX2 Memcard and Memcard Manager

Discussion in 'PCSX2 Forum' started by x1024, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x1024

x1024 New Member

Hi I am emulating FFX10 on PCSX2 0.9.4 and works like a charm, from first it feels quite weird to see something usually happens on TV screen to happen on a PC screen :)

I want to ask two questions regarding emulation:

1. About the saves, I have configged the Memcard#1 to [C:\Program Files\Pcsx2_0.9.4\memcards\Mcd001.ps2] and Memcard#2 to [C:\Program Files\Pcsx2_0.9.4\memcards\Mcd002.ps2]. When I save the FFX10's first game, it saves alright. But during the mid-game about 20 saves afterwards, first it is Memcard#1 saying it is un-readable then after about another 20 saves now Memcard#2 (almost to the end of the game now) is saying the same too.

I first thought it might be a problem with the \memcards\Mcd001.ps2 file, so I first tried to recover the .PS2 files from the one I backed up previously (didn't help). Also tried to replay the first level so FFX10 might format the Memcard for me, it did reformat but then when I go back to my last "F1 save" and resave the game (FFX10 save). It shows the same error saying "memory card slot 1 failed".

In theory each "F1 save" have it is own Memcard setting/environment? If anyone know how to regain access to my previous save will be very much appreciated!

2. When I try to access Memcard manager it didn't have much effect when I click on "Format Mcd" and "Reload Mcd" (won't show or do anything), even after I have selected a .PS2 by "Select Mcd". The Memory Card 1 & 2's lists are always empty regardless how many saves I have with FFX10.

Out of curiosity are these two problems related? Many thanks for any help given.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. bmreyna

bmreyna New Member

this has also happened to me Using Disgaea Hour of Darkness
  4. x1024

x1024 New Member

I have read other posts regarding the #1 problem, they say it is a bug in PCSX2.

Mmm I thinking it is weird due to when I replay FFX it says it have reformat the Memcard successfully, then when I get back to my last 'F1 save' and resave it by ingame save it still reports Memcard read error. Something isn't logical here..

Isn't it always these two files that PCSX2 is dealing with:
    C:\Program Files\Pcsx2_0.9.4\memcards\Mcd001.ps2
    C:\Program Files\Pcsx2_0.9.4\memcards\Mcd002.ps2

then how come each 'F1 save' doesn't access the same .PS2 files? this is getting wackier now
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  5. rainbow

rainbow Anime & jRPGs Addict

Yep i had the same prob back in 92. The best way is to make 20 saves in memcard at max <though saving 10 at max is even better, 'cause loading memory card is way faster then>.

BTW Savestates remember everything - memcard too. When u use new memcard with older sstate emu will say that it can't find memcard or memcard is broken.
  6. x1024

x1024 New Member

hi rainbow, thanks for the tip. do you know a way to get the older states to read the new memcards? i still have the states (f1 saves), just can't have ingame saves and if there's no ingame saves my cute little rikku will die :innocent:. due to can't fully restore her HP and MP, neon's too.

mm you mean to only save the first ten slots on a memcard?
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  7. rainbow

Yep. For example Kingdom Hearts can check a memcard with 10 saves immediately, but with 20 - well it takes good few seconds, and it's lil' annoing:p Also in FFX memcard with 30 saves does not always show - sometime it works, sometimes game says it's broken. It's best to avoid more than 20 saves <u can always overwrite them:p>.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to save on new memcard from sstate, when old one is corrupted. Maybe someone else would know <hmm did u format new memcard IN BIOS? It might help. Choose CDVD null plugin in config menu and run emu. Select memcard from the browser and format it, then change back to normal CDVD/ISO plugin and try again with ur sstate>.
  8. TLIXX

TLIXX Guest

Once, I accidentally deleted my memcard with some precious FFXII saves.
    But I was lucky and had still some save states (F1). So, I just started the game, loaded up the save state and then I just went to a save crystal and saved onto a new (formatted) memcard. This should work...I've used pcsx2 0.94
  9. x1024

x1024 New Member

@Rainbow: Thanks again for the tip, I have recorded down the method you mentioned on video. I am attaching it on this thread to show you how it goes. Once in, I selected the first memcard and it says it have no data. Then I select the second one, it pops out of the menu automatically but we can still see there are a few FFX saves in it.

PS2 memory format problem
    YouTube - PS2 memory format problem

Fortunately I exit the PCSX2 and delete the two .PS2 files then refollowed your instruction, it works but when I get back to the F1 state it shows the same error :dead:

PS2 memory load problem
    YouTube - PS2 memory load problem

You can see on the video I show that the memcards are empty when we first try to load the ingame save.

Then we can tell after we load the 'F1 ingame save' it still shows the same error: Unable to read from the memcard.

@TLIXX: Sounds good, how is your method to format the memcard? :eyemove:
  10. rainbow

Hmm it looks like saves r still there.:p Make a backup of these memcards <copy them somewhere else>.

First try:
    1. delete these memcards from PCSX2/memcards dir <PCSX2 will create new ones when u run it>
    2. run bios and format memcards <when u try to enter them, a pop-up will ask u whether u want to format them>
    3. try to save again from savestate
    If this won't work try this one:
    1. download mymc from here
    2. unpack it
    3. copy ur second backuped memcard <the one with saves> to the mymc directory
    4. copy fresh, formatted memcard from PCSX2/memcards dir to the mymc directory
    5. run 'mymc-gui.exe'
    6. select memcard with saves
    7. choose the save u want to extract and hit export
    8. save the file
    9. now open the empty memcard and hit import
    10. choose the file created before and hit enter
    11. copy memcard to memcard dir <make sure that the name is right>
    12. run FFX
    13. load the game

Uh-huh.:p Hope it will help.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  11. TLIXX

TLIXX Guest

Yeah, that's exactly what I wanted to say. Delete them physically and then format them in the bios.
  12. ryosaeba

ryosaeba New Member

Hey i have this problem too, suddenly my save in memory card 1 is gone and can't be detected. The games is FFX Us version. Is there a way to fix this permanently?
  13. nepsquare

nepsquare ...the weird turned Pro?

Yeah, only play one game per mc, and keep your savegames at 2 a game or so...sadly.
  14. x1024

x1024 New Member

gotta apologize to rainbow, he's being so helpful and yet i still haven't tried his methods yet. i haven't been playing the game for a while (due to work) but still wishes there will be a patch for this.

last time i played the game it was on last weekend, i did try to download mymc but i think the download website was dead (at least the download was :spy:). it was fortunate i've had one saved game even it was in the half-way through, so i've decided to start over again from there. you just had to lie to yourself FFX was worth to start over, ha it actually was.

i also found out that dont' wander too much in the memcards, like when i was going back and forth between Memcard1 and Memcard2. it will tell me Memcard1 is un-readable, so try to stick it to only one Memcard when saving.

however there is one thing to keep in mind that, always backup your 'F1 saves' whenever you can before you start a new PCSX2 game session. when one of the memcards starts to act whacky disconntinue to use that 'F1 save' immediately and go back to the previous 'F1 save'.

life is like a box of chocolate, you will never know which of your chocolate is gonna get wacked. :lol:

thanks, i have tried this. it didn't work by just reformatting the memcards, cuz when you swtiched back to the 'F1 save' it somehow uses the "saved state" by the time it was written.

in summary, i think the 'F1 save' actually not only saves the state of the game but everything from graphic driver state, sound driver state, cdrom driver state and of course memcard states.

i think this is kinda insane to save this much of data and not offer much of flexibility, i guess you will just have to watch out when you are going to play on PCSX2
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  15. Anidalife

Anidalife New Member

I've been having the same problem as well. Both memcards are corrupt in my savestate, and I'm unable to save into a brand new formatted memcard. I tried the mymc program, but it does not recognize the corrupted memcard. Is there any way to format the memcards ingame? or is there possibly another solution to this. Right now, I can only save using save states.
  16. rxjay

rxjay New Member

I have the same problem too. I started a game with an unformated mem card, so i've been using save states all along. now that i have a formated mem card it won't detect it at all.......
  17. Lord Lancelot

Lord Lancelot New Member

I have the same problem, but this is my first time with the emulator so I dont have any state file.

Is this a bug that is impossible to fix?
  18. rxjay

rxjay New Member

is there any way to make the game thing u unplugged the memory card and put in a new one so it reads the new one? with save states i think it keeps thinking it has the old unformatted memory card plugged in.
  19. furality

furality New Member

Disgaea 2 save state

Yeah, ive been playing my disgaea 2 game alot on the computer, the problem is that i can no longer save via the normal save function. Only Save State works. When i try and save normally, it gives me memory card error, yet i can load a game from a few weeks ago in disgaea. Im really confused on that...

I really need some fix so i can play through disgaea again, because you have to be able to save at the end... can anyone help me??
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.