PCSX2 - Netbook gaming... Possible or not???

Discussion in 'PCSX2 Forum' started by LastNinja, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LastNinja

LastNinja New Member

hello there everyone!

im currently showing off the ASUS EEE 901 on youtube with a video of nullDC (dreamcast emulator) in action
    YouTube - EEE 901 - Dreamcast (Soul Calibur) (ATOM / 945GME)

NOW i want to do the same with PCSX2...

so i wonder... is there anyone here with experience if PCSX2 works at all with GMA950 graphics... and if it do... can u please suggest a game with very low system requirements...

i just want to see if the least demanding PS2 games can work sufficiantly well on the intel atom (working in super performance mode=1680mhz) + gma 950...

and if it does i will upload a video on youtube and post it here :)

p.s. there is a netbook called asus n10... it has geforce 9300m graphics,,, but only the same 1.6ghz atom cpu as the eee901, so i guess is a bit more suitable for ps2gaming
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Kaizen

Kaizen Qu'ils mangent de la brioche Award Winner!

No atom processor will ever give high speeds in pcsx2.
    By the time there's a netbook able to run pcsx2 satisfactorily I'll be turning 30
  4. extrabigmehdi

extrabigmehdi New Member

@LastNinja
    Emulating a Dreamcast require a much less powerful hardware, than emulating ps2... I believe that with "GMA950 graphics", it's hopeless ...
    Try to emulate the Dreamcast on your netbook instead :D
  5. Master_DX

Master_DX The Master of Disguise

You could be able to play games on that netbook, but it will take u probably like 1-2 hours to get in-game with that hardware, even worst if you think about recording.

Just give up on it and don't even bother trying to emulate pcsx2 at all.
  6. LastNinja

LastNinja New Member

as u can see on the video i uploaded to youtube, soul calibur (dreamcast) plays pretty good on the eee... i recorded the video with a fuji f31fd camera so it wont eat the cpu...

im not looking to get perfect speed for a PS2 game, i just want to show off like a "proof of concept"... thats why i want to know which PS2 games that r least demanding of cpu and graphics... im happy if it shows anything on the screen
  7. _Violence_

_Violence_ New Member

Well there is Mobile Light Force 2, It's quite a dumb game in my opinion. My grandma got it for me for Christmas 2 years ago, its one of those like $20 games (at the time when normal price was like $40)
  8. ryllian

ryllian $2 per holla

You have the cheapest consumer laptop available, whose sole development purpose was aimed at third world countries where the majority of the population couldn't afford laptops.

The atom CPU inside the eee was also designed for lowest possible TDP, not performance, so that leaves you with even less of a chance. Last I heard, it also only has 512kb of L2 cache, which cripples it further. And the dual core atom isn't much better.

Point is, pcsx2 probably won't even start, so there's no point. Especially with the integrated graphics chips in the eee laptops being rather weak as well. You may be able to play PSX and whatnot fullspeed though, so you could do a proof of concept of that if you want, but getting "a picture on a screen" for pcsx2 is just pointless, as you could just look at screenshots or videos if you need confirmation that pcsx2 can run.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  9. echosierra

echosierra I'm a gopher

The only way to get anything near playable on a netbook would be a service like StreamMyGame, which uses another (much more powerful) computer to do the heavy lifting while piping video and audio over a wired network connection.

This, in theory, should work. Problem is the service isn't exactly that great, and I've also never tried running PCSX2 with it, it may not even start up.

Check it out if you'd like. It goes without saying that you won't receive support for any issues that come up when using it, but if you're dead-set on getting a netbook it can't hurt to try.
  10. Phil

Phil 339.9 Award Winner!

if you get 15 fps in gran turismo 4 ill give you 15 dollars
  11. ryllian

ryllian $2 per holla

Any way I could get that $15 instead?....*cough* sexual favours *cough*

j/k xD....On a sidenote, **** paypal...dam thing charges a huge transaction fee when I'm just trying to charge $5 across...

I can understand people with macbooks and middle range laptops who want to give pcsx2 a go, but seriously, an eee? Those things would have trouble playing intensive flash games. Not to be harsh to the OP of course, since eee laptops are actually great for what their designed for (mobile wifi and word processing etc etc), but when all the guides/faqs bluntly say a 2ghz C2D is the absolute minimum, why bother asking if a 1.6ghz atom could run? The thing has a TDP in the single digits ffs, that's a pretty clear indicator of it's designated market.
  12. Phil

Phil 339.9 Award Winner!

i know im a sexy guy, but no thanks :D

the atom is not built to oc........i cannot handle volts
  13. ryllian

ryllian $2 per holla

Nobody implied it could be o.0.....Why would anyone OC an atom anyways? It's fast enough to do it's job well :p. Pushing it further would just be pointless.

If the TDP is really as low as Intel says though, it probably puts out just a tad more heat than my ipod touch's ARM processor when it's speedstepped.
  14. Setsuna203

Setsuna203 New Member

15. masta.g.86

masta.g.86 No sir, I don't like it. Award Winner!

16. Smooth Criminal

Smooth Criminal New Member

lol thinking of a atom processor runnning ps2 is like saying mr bush has brain
  17. gamersat678

gamersat678 On the Side Programmer

I hope ur just referring to the hedge in ur front lawn.:p

Atom Processor recommended use: Word or OpenOffice and maybe doom 2
  18. LastNinja

LastNinja New Member

thanks for proving those who claims it wont even start wrong :)

this is the reason i want to try the least demanding games as well to see if acceptable speed can be reached... maybe some 2d game or something...

i will atleast try that mobile light force 2, to see if its not very demanding...

i dont really consider the eee that weak for gaming being able to emulate dreamcast games like soul calibur fullspeed (kinda - some demanding scenes may be 90% of full speed)... its nothing for newer games with even more advanced graphics though, but not all ps2 games necessarily have more advanced graphics than that.

also it can play HD material in 720p as well, and sometimes even 1080p if its lower bitrate than average.

the atom netbooks may be weak, but they are surprisingly strong considering what they where officially intended for :)
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  19. ryllian

ryllian $2 per holla

The eee you have is a single core. The person in the video has the new dual core diamondville atom CPU that was only recently released.

The atom you have in your eee, performs roughly the same as a 900mhz celeron M, since it has an extremely high latency. Compare that, to the minimum requirement of a 2ghz C2D stated in all the FAQs, and a core 2 has a much faster structure since it was designed for performance (any C2D's TDP is more than 10 times that of an atom CPU).
  20. Master_DX

Master_DX The Master of Disguise

Your netbook won't have acceptable results PERIOD. It is too weak, and as it was mentioned before, the integrated GPU is not just gonna cut it.

As I mentioned before, the emulator will run, but u will get 10 fps or less tops I would say.

Dreamcast, ps1, pj 64, etc............. are not demanding emulators, heck I could even run the ps1 emu on my 7 year old comp. PS2 emulation is just out of ur reach for now, maybe the upcoming netbooks might be able to run it a bit better, but for now just forget about it.
  21. Setsuna203

Setsuna203 New Member

@ryllian: Please post a link to a netbook with dual core! You will realize there is nothing like this. Every netbook on Intel base has Hyperthreading, that's it.

Oh, and: The threads by PCSX2 are only used up to 80%, so it would run even more fluent on netbooks if it would be optimized just a little bit.

Last thing: A lot of people in this thread are a good example for consumer slaves who only accept the fastest, newest and expensiest hardware. Way too narrow minded to imagine that people still like to play PS2 on the go with their little companion. I remember the begining stages of PS1 emulation: If anyone like the people in this thread would have been there, there would be no emulation today, since it was way too slow back then... ;-)
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.