pcsx2 running slow, is my computer enough?

Discussion in 'PCSX2 Forum' started by JakMR2, Oct 1, 2010.

1. JakMR2

JakMR2 New Member

First off im new to the forum, and ive been reading a lot of threads about this, but unfortunately i havent been able to make any conclusions about my own system being fully up to par.

That being said, im running

Wolfdale E7400 dual core OC'd to 3.5Gh'z
    4GB DDR3 Ram
    Nvidia 9800GTX GPU
    Intel Extreme MOBO
    Running Windows 7 Ultimate
    CPUID shows my FSB as 1360mh'z
    Core voltage 1.2v
    Running PCSX2 0.9.7 (still in beta stages i know or at least i think..., but it seems to work better for me that 0.9.6 did)

Some games run really well, like "Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters", perfect with no problems, other games run with no graphical defects but are slow (about 46 fps during gameplay 58fps for videos -example "NBA Streets")

This is without any speedhacks, i did attempt to use a few of them but it didnt seem to make any difference, also should i be running the plug in for SSE3 or SSE4?

Any help would be tremendously appreciated, i want to be sure i dont have something slowing my computer down, before i decide to push the limits further.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Princess Garnet

Princess Garnet From Love and Limerence

Make sure you're using DirectX 10/11, as it's more faster and accurate than DirectX 9 in most cases.

Try using native visual settings to make sure it isn't the video card (not too likely, but possible).

Use SSE4, though this won't give much boost alone, you may as well use it if you can.

Some games just won't run full speed at all, or without alot of resources. Since the games that aren't running full speed are at least up there (at least for your one example), I'm guessing your getting about the results you should.
  4. JakMR2

JakMR2 New Member

thanks for the response,
    is there a way to check what version of directx i have, i downloaded the directx webupdater and it said i have a newer or equivalent version of directx and no download is necessary
  5. dorn

dorn New Member

You're computer is just on the edge of being good enough. Some games it will work great with but others are still going to have slow fps. Getting a faster computer won't help much though. The reality is even with the top of the line core2duo fully OC'ed you'll still run into games that just don't run at 60 fps yet. Better to just keep trying new PCSX2 builds and waiting.
  6. JakMR2

JakMR2 New Member

Ok next question, theoretically speaking...I want to upgrade my processor for other games (not pcsx2) im thinking of going to a Intel Q9550 quad core, i know pcsx2 does not use more than two of the four cores, but theoretically if i OC'd the Q9550 to 3.5 (which shouldnt be a problem at all) would it still run PCSX2 games the same as my E7400 core 2 duo? Simply put will the Q9550 working at 3.5GH'z perfom the same as the E7400 at 3.5GH'z? other than the fact that i would have MUCH more L2 cache...i want to upgrade my processor for PC games without ruining my progress in PCSX2 performance
  7. StriderVM

StriderVM Active Member

Yes. A Quad core running at 3.5Ghz will be as fast as a dual core in 3.5Ghz.
  8. KingpinZero

KingpinZero New Member

You should use DirectX10 SSE4.1 plugin if you're under Win7 or Vista.
    Running pcsx2 under xp forces you to use DX9 which is much more slower than the dx10 version.

Also, your specs are really good imho. Go into speedhacks, enable all the options with [recommended] written, then move the first slider to the left (EE cycle) to level 2 or 3, and test some games.

It should give you a stable performance increase, im getting 60fps even in games like Tekken 5 or Burnout Revenge.

Be sure to use latest SVN thought.
  9. dorn

dorn New Member

There's no reason to get a quad core for PC gaming. The reality is with a dual core you already have 2 cpu's and a GPU which by itself handles most of the tasks that are easily divided.

It will be a long time (probably 5 years) before quad cores go anywhere in PC gaming.
  10. ARC@NO

ARC@NO Join the Dark Side!!

That's a LOT of time man, probably in 5 years dual cores will not exist anymore and at min. any person will own at least a 4 core CPU. Also as far as i know a couple of today games are optimized to use more than 2 cores.
  11. JakMR2

JakMR2 New Member

While gaming may not be optimized for four cores just yet, it does increase my computers ability to run games on two cores and let windows and other components occupy the other two. Also i have run into another problem, someone let me know if my thoughts are correct on this. Ive lowered the clock speed of my processer to 3.4 now, which didnt slow anything down noticeably. Im running 333Mh'z FSB with a 10.5 multiplier, hence 3.49Gh's processor clock. Now my rated FSB is 1333Mh'z, my ram is rated at 1333 on DDR3 or 1333/4 which handles an FSB of 333Mh'z...and my Motherboard is rated at 1066Mh'z....so if my math is correct here..my motherboard is bottlenecking my system right? Since the FSB via CPU-z is showing 1333Mh'z.
  12. StriderVM

StriderVM Active Member

It shouldn't be, as PCSX2 doesn't get affected by RAM speed much especially on architectures that has memory controllers in the processor included.
  13. dorn

dorn New Member

Most people today still get dual cores. It's the chicken and the egg. Quad core won't get truly useful market saturation for 4 years at the soonest.

There's tons that can use quad cores but all of them still run just as well on dual cores.
  14. JakMR2

JakMR2 New Member

as far as gaming these days, wouldnt the dual core vs quad core debate rely a lot on if we are talking pcsx2 games or PC games? To my knowledge PC games rely more on the video card than the processor, and PCSX2 games rely more on the processor than the video card, hence the reason a lot of PC games run just as good on dual core as they do on quad core. But im not sure if the same can be said for PCSX2 when talking dual or quad core. Its a given that PCSX2 doesnt support quad core but it is notable that you can deligate two cores of the the four JUST to run PCSX2. Now a good graphics card is definately important in PCSX2 but from my experience its been all about my processor..of course this is coming from someone who uses a 9800gtx, not the best by far, but its a modestly powerful video card.
  15. Princess Garnet

Princess Garnet From Love and Limerence

PCSX2 uses two cores. Having four doesn't magically make it faster just because you're using "just two" and not using the full potential. Dedicating two to PCSX2 and having the other two for other stuff doesn't make it go any faster (unless you're doing something very intensive in the background) since background tasks shouldn't take much and the OS will prioritize the main running processes over background ones. It makes like a 0.5%-1% difference or so.

You actually have it kind of backwards. With PCSX2, quad cores have no advantage over dual cores. With games, while not many do, there are some that show differences, even if the game is still largely playable on two cores. The GPU does matter more in PC games than PCSX2, but the CPU still does too.
    No, your FSB is 1333MHz. The motherboard being rated at 1066MHz means that it is the "officially spec" that it can do. Right now, if it's 1333MHz and it's rated for 1066MHz, that means you have it overclocked, so the FSB (Northbridge chipset) is running at the 1333MHz you set, not the 1066MHz it's rated for.