PCSXR-PGXP

Discussion in 'PCSX Discussion' started by iCatButler, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Thirteen1355

Thirteen1355 The Incinerator

Emulation in general.
    It's a good way to compare other emu's to PCSX-R.

But I get what you mean.
  2. TheDimensioner

TheDimensioner New Member

I should apologize as well, for deviating the topic XD. To compensate (sort of), I've found an interesting game, that works with the current PGXP, but not quite as expected.

Disney's Goofy's Fun House is a game that I played as a child, without much knowledge of what it was about (well, I didn't speak english back then). It was fun, but complicated, and I never actually finished it, since it was my neighbour's, and I couldn't keep going to his house everyday to play. But I have fond memories of this game...

Except now, after replaying it, I see how wrong this game is. Sluggish controls, shifting FPS (15 or 30 FPS depending on the camera), difficult platforming, and not so clear objectives. It sure has nice graphics for PSX, but it was released in 2001, so I don't know if it got much attention.

Regarding PGXP, it works only with "Mem + CPU logic" mode, but there's still some jittering. Perspective correct texturing seems to have little effect as well, as some wall and object textures still "auto-corrects" as Goofy walks by. If set to "Memory only" mode, there's almost no effect, and "vertex caching" also does not help. Since "Mem + CPU" is kinda taxing on this game, the framerate issues get worse, but thankfully CPU overclock x1.5 "fixes" it, maintaining gameplay at a locked 30 FPS. Sadly, I can't record with all those options, so I made a video with overclock disabled, so there's less audio slowdowns. It became a long video, because I couldn't find all the necessary items to show a minigame, and also because of my faulty jumps XD. I tested it on the Mednafen HW core on Retroarch too, and it's pretty much the same as PCSXR-PGXP, but there, the framerate seems to be really locked at 15 FPS, even with overclock enabled.

EDIT: It turns out you don't need to get all of a pictures items to play the minigames, you HAVE to play them to get all the items (after getting 2 for one picture). There's a driving minigame which would have been cool to show with PGXP, but oh well, I'm bad at this game anyways XD. After getting all the items, you unlock a short film, one of Goofy's animations of old, which obviously could not be shown, because of copyright.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  3. SolisX

SolisX Member

Hello Everyone,

Anyone have good settings for Need For Speed High Stakes with pgxp? I get really wierd shapes on the builds in the first stage.
  4. shinra358

shinra358 Member

#Number of texels in batch for xBRZ scaler
    BatchSize = 1024

#Texture Cache size (in textures count!) for upscaled textures so texture is upscaled only once - fast!
    TextureCacheSize = 128

Can someone please explain these and explain how high they can go?
  5. synce

synce Normal Person

First of all, this is amazing work. I never thought I'd leave Xebra but this really makes me want to replay all my old games, so thank you.

The only problem is that Parasite Eve 2 is unplayable on PCSXR-PGXP. I have the NTSC-U and NTSC-J versions and they both freeze on the first screen.

On the regular version of PCSXR there's a fix you can enable for the game under CPU options, but this has no effect in the PGXP build, so I really hope it's something that can be fixed :)
  6. psxhd

psxhd New Member

Go to CPU options and enable the "Compatibility hack" and see if that works...
  7. synce

synce Normal Person

It did, thanks :D

Finally, I can play this game in HD without Aya's face looking like it's melting!
  8. shinra358

shinra358 Member

9. zackboy

zackboy New Member

10. shinra358

shinra358 Member

Links to the first page of the initial hack in which doesn't answer my questions. There is also no readme with said info.
  11. TheDimensioner

TheDimensioner New Member

I guess what zackboy meant, is that this question is better asked in the Tweaks thread, since it's @tapeq that handles the Tweaks. I'm sure there's an explanation about those already somewhere in the middle, but it would be hard to find it.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  12. zackboy

zackboy New Member

Yes @tapeq has alwready explain somewhere, but you can ask him (and why not ask him to add an explaination in the first post)
    My post is mostly because there is too many off topic between PGXP and PeteOpenGL2Tweak.. Sorry :D
  13. zackboy

zackboy New Member

Hi everybody, sorry for the double post but I have some "requests":
    Of course if you want and have time.

@iCatButler About PGXP:
    Do you think it's possible to correct the bug with 2D elements in Mem + CPU Logic?

Other things:
    - what do you think about adding an "Demi-Widescreen Hack";
    the actual Widescreen Hack change the game in 4:3/12:9 into 16:9
    the Demi-Widescreen Hack change the game in 4:3/12:9 into 14:9, so less 2D stretched/misaligned, less clipping (like Crash and Tomb Raider 2)
    (I know thats not real 4:3 and sometimes it depend to NTSC/PAL, but you see what I mean)

- @tapeq About PeteOpenGL2Tweak Is it possible to correct the Texture misalignment when using the texture filtering? (GSdx is better but bugged, Edgbla's GPUBladeSoft is the best)

- Why not adding CPU Overclock 33.8688 MHz to 37.5 MHz (Like PS2 in certain case), maybe the compatibility will be better.. But the result like nothing..

- if anybody has an idea for improve the games' Framerate without CPU overclock

PS: I know I spoken about the tweak, it is incoherent compared to what I was saying before but I think only one post is better, Sorry :oops:
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  14. iCatButler

iCatButler New Member

I've been experimenting with video capture and editing software recently and put together a little comparison video of the original Tomb Raider running on console and emulation with and without PGXP (it's not quite up to Digital Foundry standards :p).

For anyone interested I used DaVinci Resolve 12 to edit the clips together, it lets you layer up clips and restrict each to a different area of the screen quite easily. It is a real CPU hog though, I had to swap back from my stock cooler to closed loop water...

Capture from the emulator is via MSI Afterburner, which works well with all the emulators I've used, though you may need to tell Riva Tuner to ignore certain programs like GOG Galaxy. I used OBS to process the component signal from an Avermedia U3 to get native 240p video from a PS2 (despite the U3 not officially supporting it). I made a demonstration video showing the process in the rare case anyone needs to do this: Here.

@zackboy I think it should be possible to support arbitrary values for both aspect ratio and overclocking, I'll try adding that in a new build soon. You could also use the Wipeout memory hack to improve performance (it makes memory access free).

Regarding the bugs with 2D elements using "Mem + CPU" mode, elements like map icons in GT2 and CTR are proving quite tricky to fix. For now I could implement a sanity check mode, like the vertex caching, which would reject coordinates that are too far from the native coordinates.
    zackboy, superjupi and TheDimensioner like this.
  15. retro_tomb

retro_tomb New Member

When will PGXP be available in PCSX-ReARMed? (or is it already available, I can't seem to find the option)

Also, I don't know if this is the correct place to ask but; I'm missing the save crystals on PCSX-ReARMed (Tomb Raider). Does anyone else has this issue?

Awesome work anyways!
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  16. tapeq

tapeq Member

I do not have idea, you should ask author of ReARMed fork.
  17. iCatButler

iCatButler New Member

I don't currently have any plans to integrate PGXP with PCSX-ReARMed. From what I understand the working GPU plugins are all optimised software rasterisers rather than using OpenGLes, the existing perspective correct texturing relies on hardware rendering so it would be a lot of extra work to implement. The source code for PGXP is available for others to integrate it if they wish to try.

As to the missing save crystals, those require Framebuffer Textures/Effects to be enabled for me to see them using Pete's OpenGL plugins. I would assume this is a problem with the way your current GPU plugin is handling those, I don't know if you can change to a different plugin (Pete's software plugin displays the crystals in PCSX-Reloaded). Other than that I can't really help.
  18. retro_tomb

retro_tomb New Member

Thank you for your detailed response.

I quoted you on GitHub (PCSX-reARMed).
  19. Reventon2010

Reventon2010 New Member

I don't know If it's been mentioned before, but Gran Turismo 2 has a bit of a glitch.

So as you know, you have to use Memory+CPU to correct the bad looking wheels. But in doing so, your car has a tendancy to bounce whilst racing. It's like your hitting invisible humps in the road. So something to do with Collision Detection?

It runs fine in Memory Only mode. Minus the ugly looking wheels ofcourse. Anyone else have the same glitch?
  20. superjupi

superjupi New Member

Just tried GT2 Japanese 1.1 and US 1.2, and not experiencing your issue. It DOES, however, affect replay playback - player cars are steering into the walls and not playing properly. AI cars go through just fine. If I switch to memory only, replays do not have this issue.

I have US 1.0 somewhere in my basement, but I'm not sure if that would make a difference.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016