PCSXR-PGXP

Discussion in 'PCSX Discussion' started by iCatButler, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Reventon2010

Reventon2010 New Member

You should be fine for some time with that 660. Your lucky, I was running a 560ti, now Im on an ancient 9500gt. It's terrible lol
  2. VibbyVibbs

VibbyVibbs New Member

While we're on the topic of performance.. may I ask, why is it like WAY easier to emulate N64 than it is Playstation?
    Playstation is actually weaker than N64, but it's harder for me to run PSX emulation at full speed on higher settings.
    Yet, when I do the same with N64, it holds up perfectly at max FPS the majority of the time.
  3. fischkopf

fischkopf Member

Weird, I always thought it was the other way round. PSX emulation usually runs pretty well even on very low end hardware, only if you make use of advanced features such as PGXP and xbrz filtering it eats more resources.
  4. superjupi

superjupi New Member

It depends on the emulator and the plugins/settings you're using. pSX will run swimmingly on any old toaster, while BizHawk's N64 core runs like Elmer's glue on my workstation laptop. I can turn around and run Project 64 at 1920x1200 with all effects cranked up just fine, however. Not all emulators are created equal.

If we're looking at the least demanding emulator with the most acceptable level of compatibility, PlayStation is pretty hard to top with pSX, as N64 in even the best cases has plenty of inaccuracies; even the painfully slow software mode plugins and cycle-accurate attempts with N64 aren't perfect.
  5. dpence

dpence New Member

case in point, xebra runs like total crap on my system... everyone pretty much seems to have it run fine... I get like 10 fps on an i5 2400, 16gb ram and tried both a ati r7 265 and a gtx 950, while most of the n64 emu's run well beyond the 30 fps the games are coded at
  6. TheDimensioner

TheDimensioner New Member

Well, what I've seen is that not only N64 emulators, but the plugins for them are in practical constant development, while outside of enhancements (like PGXP), PSX emulation is pretty much halted. Looking at a changelog of Project 64 on EmuCR (which I guess they copy from whatever "hub" the emu is sourced), has many fixed regressions, and some re-coded stuff, and sometimes new emulation features, that were handled by hacks in the past. Sadly it moved so fast, that new technology is pretty much necessary to run the latest versions, not only of the emulator, but most plugins, my favorite being GlideN64. That plugin brought tons of enhancements, and fixed most, if not all of the issues Jabo's plugin had/has. But the latest version requires OpegnGL 4.X, so I'm out of the game like @Reventon2010 (GeForce 9xxx team, go! :cool:).

Regarding PSX, I know that some software (or should I say cycle accurate emulators, I don't know if that term counts for PSX), are still in development, like Xebra and the "normal " Mednafen. Retroarch Mednafen core has had added to it many hardware improvements to its emulation, together with the enhancements, but to my view, it's still some time before it gets close to the performance of Pete's plugins (if they still want to support old stuff by today's standards). Sure, Pete's plugins were released in a time where computer hardware wasn't so advanced to run them flawlessly, and I've entered PSX emulation in a "middle cycle", where I already had the pieces to run those XD. Now that emulation "leaped" another "generation" of computer hardware (I'm sure Vulkan will be the standard API in no time), and I (guess some of you guys as well, since this is being discussed), don't have the required stuff to run this thing "beautifully", we'll have to wait until we can, or get lucky enough for devs to hear our cries :oops:.

But with PSX emulation having such amazing enhancements, like PGXP and xBRZ, I get the chance to show them, even with my crappy PC. So here's Wild Arms:
    Show Spoiler
    I couldn't beat the boss, because I've run out of hdd space at the end, but at least I've showed that PGXP works very well on it. I only had trouble configuring xBRZ, since the 2D parts are 60 FPS, and for the 3D not to be low res, I couldn't crank filtering up so much for the FPS get chopped (even more). I've even tried adding scanlines, to not "lose" the pixels, but Pete'sOGL2 implementation just darkens the image, and no CRT shader supported a low monitor resolution. But the presentation is good enough, at x3 xBRZ, 640x480@60. The battles play at 30 FPS, by the way.
  7. Reventon2010

Reventon2010 New Member

lol GeForce 9xxx team, go! :cool: I had a good laugh at that :) I didn't know GlideN64 had been bumped to 4.4. I use Mupen64Plus on my Android phone with GlideN64 Opengles 3. It don't run too bad even though it's a cheap chinese phone.
  8. TheDimensioner

I broke my old (well, "new") monitor's screen a couple of weeks ago, and It sucked, but luckily my father found a 2006 LG FLATRON T730SH 17" CRT monitor that has been amazing so far. Although being 4:3, it can display a vast multitude of resolutions, even 1080p (when tweaked) and 140hz (640x480 140hz, XD)! But I wanted to mess with it even more.

I got so hooked into CRTs that I've searched everywhere about those, and I've found that TV CRTs and PC monitor CRTs are mostly different (much like modern LCD TVs and monitors). TVs were made to, well, watch TV, which was broadcast in a set number of lines (resolution), that wasn't going to change, so it was optimized for that resolution (480i/576i). But old consoles got a mode which "cheated" the TV lines, called 240p, which displayed half of the TV's vertical lines, adding blank lines in between (scanlines), so the games could be displayed in their low resolution, without being ugly (most games).

PC monitors on the other hand, were made to display many different resolutions, but not standard TV resolutions (although there were/are many "hybrids" out there). Common CRT monitors can't do 240p, so emulating retro games in their real "native" resolution is pretty hard without filters or fake scanlines.

So, I was able to make this thing display 240p by setting it to 720x240@120Hz at first. It worked, because unlike TVs, which display 15Khz of horizontal resolution, this monitor has a 30Khz minimum, and somehow that combination got the resolution to display successfully. So I had to test retro games! At first, it looked really weird, because I'm not used to it. But after the eyes get used to it, it's just amazing.

I tried to record PGXP, setting it to native resolution, and no filters at all. I guess this is the closest we could get PGXP to work with real hardware "looks" XD. I swear this is 240p on a CRT monitor, and not some cheap filter. The scanlines are real, it's hard to see, because the smartphone's camera doesn't focus properly. Also, the sound is low, because I've put my headphones over the phone's mic, and it kinda didn't work :oops:. I was surprised the 120Hz didn't flicker when recording at 30 FPS. Guess the phone detected the 30Khz instead :confused:...

I have a couple other videos, I little better, but I'll upload them tomorrow. I guess these are better viewable on a big screen, LCD/LED or whatnot.
  9. Reventon2010

Reventon2010 New Member

lol you should hook up a real ps1 to it. See what that looks like.

Also remember, a real ps1 gives out interlaced signals. The TV is then responsible to deinterlace it. That probably blurs it slightly, which will make it look good on CRT.

Pcsxr gives out Progressive images thats ultra crisp. And that will show up unwanted banding and dithering. So it's a tradeoff with emulation really. Must say though, looks good from your video.
  10. TheDimensioner

Well, this monitor only does D-Sub (common VGA cable), so I would have to buy converters to hook my PSX to it XD. Also, the console is practically dead, so a converter money would be better spent on changing the lens, or buying a new PS1, since that's already the second lens on the console. The old model really sucks (besides the RCA ports, and still having the parallel in the back).

And I guess only some PS1 games are actually interlaced (480i), because in a handful of others, there's no flickering that comes with deinterlacing. I use composite cables, and the Crash games are "static". I know that, because my Wii is mostly 480i through composite on a CRT, and 2D games will flicker a lot. But when doing the 240p "cheat" for VC titles (Home menu > Operations guide > Nunchuck "Z" + "A" + "1"), the flicker is gone, and it's very sharp (well, less sharp than this monitor). Sure, there's the composite artifacts, but it's very nice.
  11. Reventon2010

Reventon2010 New Member

I know what you mean about the old model. Most of my games were copies. If there were a slight mark on the disc, it wouldn't read it. When I moved onto the small ps1 model, it would read badly damaged discs. I just missed the back port for my Gameshark Cartridge :)
  12. Reventon2010

Reventon2010 New Member

A little late but, Happy New Year to everyone.
    TheDimensioner likes this.
  13. TheDimensioner

Hey there, it's been some time. Just posting something to try to keep this thread alive. I've been messing with this 240p thing on my "brand new" monitor, testing some other emulators, and trying to make a difference between them. I immediately discovered that PGXP is really meant for higher resolutions, because running most games on "native" settings, makes wobbliness hardly noticeable. It is there of course, and PGXP will fix it even on native resolution (on most games still), but the real scanlines of 240p and sharp pixels of the VGA connection, provide a brand new experience. Watching PVM and BVM (professional grade CRT monitors) videos, make emulation like this almost comparable in their image quality. Even though I'm cheating a little by adding some emulation exclusives, I say that I wouldn't need to go back to my real PlayStation if wanted a true native experience (the poor thing is practically dead anyways...). I'm glad I broke my previous monitor XD.

I made some videos comparing "an almost truly native" PSX emulator (pSX_fin), with PCSXR-PGXP, both running Spyro: The Dragon at 1280x240 (horizontal resolution doesn't really matter):

Spyro: The Dragon, pSX(fin) 240p:

This emulator is great. Although it hasn't been updated in a long time, I'm sure it can reach Mednafen levels of "nativeness" easily XD. Some games doesn't work on it, but many aspects of it run impeccably, and running it in 240p is a joy. On other emulators, there will be pixel issues, where some lines are doubled and letters get deformed. But pSX fits everything perfectly, and in their correct aspect (if chosen to). It also has integrated picture adjustments, like brightness, contrast and gamma, helping with the scanlines darkness, which can't really be fixed when using a shader or filter. Since it has PSX's dithering, true textures color depth (that's what the status display says at least), and with the "help" of scanlines, wobbliness is not quite visible, together with aliasing and other texture issues. I really don't think pSX had any GTE improvement, because I get similar results using other emulators at native resolution, without GTE hacks.

Spyro: The Dragon, PCSXR-PGXP, "Mem + CPU logic" mode, vertex caching, perspective correct texturing, Pete'sOGL2 Tweaks 2.4, native internal resolution, 240p:

With PGXP, well, things do improve, although this game is still not perfect with it. But like I said, using real scanlines helps on hiding PSX's wobbliness, so it isn't much different. Color is definitely better, since it's 32bit for everything this time. Sorry about the shaky camera, I had to hold the phone with the headphones over the mic to record audio with one hand, while disabling FPS limit on the keyboard, for faster demo showing. The headphones were kinda slippery XD.

To finish this great wall of text (finally :p), PGXP is great, but for higher resolutions, and it needs to be "a thing" for the sake of PSX emulation enhancements continuation XD. But, if some emulators do provide almost "native" capabilities, there's nothing wrong with playing like that I guess, because in my opinion, PSX magic is there, like it was in our child selves eyes, so long ago :cool:. But I hope to see some PGXP updates soon!
  14. unreal676

unreal676 New Member

That was quite enjoyable to watch and read @TheDimensioner , I too would love to see some updates for PGXP, keep checking in daily :3.
  15. meowchin

meowchin New Member

Hi guys, I've tested this enhancement and it works great, besides one thing: textures are being filtered even though I unchecked all the filtering options. Here are some screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/T0zCT (for some reason they are chopped, but that doesn't really matter). Can somebody tell what am I doing wrong?
  16. TheDimensioner

You must have xBRZ enabled on your gpuPeteOpenGL2Tweak.ini (inside the "inis" folder). Simply set "xBRZScale = 0", and filtering will be gone. Set "Desposterize" to "false" as well, if it isn't.

But some other textures might get filtered by the "MDEC filter" option, because even though it's meant for FMVs, some games use static MDECs (correct me if I'm wrong) for menus and stuff, and that gets filtered by that option. And unless you're really having performance issues, I would recommend disabling "frameskip" as well, since that option is not perfect and might skip frames when not actually necessary.
  17. meowchin

meowchin New Member

That helped! Thanks!

BTW, does the "Mem + CPU Logic" mode increase accuracy, or is it just about sharing load?
  18. TheDimensioner

@meowchin "Mem + CPU logic" is for most games that doesn't work with "Memory only" PGXP mode. But it sometimes will break games that works well with the latter, even creating false positives in others. Some users reported that "Mem + CPU" does work with everything they throw at it, but that wasn't my case. If your CPU can handle it, you can leave it enabled, but as @iCatButler said, it is more experimental than "Memory only" mode.
  19. superjupi

superjupi New Member

It depends. For me, it's an increase in accuracy for most games. For @TheDimensioner, it makes everything buggier.

Heh, @TheDimensioner replied two seconds before me. :p
    TheDimensioner likes this.
  20. Reventon2010

Reventon2010 New Member

I don't understand the reason xbrz is enabled by default. Surely it needs altering?
    meowchin and superjupi like this.