PCSXR-PGXP

Discussion in 'PCSX Discussion' started by iCatButler, Aug 8, 2016.

1. nayboo

nayboo New Member

Instead of editing my own post, i hope it will be ok if i post a new one..

@TheDimensioner
    I tried everything you told me. At first i saw i already had xBRZ deactivated in the .ini file, the overclocking feature was not activated too. Next, i checked the opening sequence (until you meet up with Vivi) with Eternal SPU 1.50 and your settings. But it didn't change much, sound is still weird in cutscenes and small glitches when in battle.
    I doubt there is much left to try to get better results. Still hoping there will be an update someday that fixes ffix's audio performance.
  2. TheDimensioner

TheDimensioner New Member

@nayboo Well, there's also the "#Disable sound plugin FPS auto limit" and the "#Enables VSync, paramater specifies the minimum number of video frames that are displayed before a buffer swap will occur" options on the .ini. Either will ultimately be related to sound, because I think there's already some kind of v-sync going on in Pete'sOGL, because I've never experienced tearing or video stuttering. So try enabling the first option, but if still stutters, set v-sync 1. Someone said it's possible to it set to "2" or even "-1", one of those sets an "adaptable" style v-sync, but I don't know if they actually do anything.

The last resort, would be unchecking the "Psx System Type" option under "CPU...", and setting it to your game's region (NTSC or PAL). That sometimes makes framerates more stable, because the autodetect seems to be broken.

From there, you could only try lowering video settings, like ResHack or disabling diposterize. The "OpenGL 1.78" video plugin also supports PGXP, but it has FFIX specific issues. In the "special game fixes", there's an option for FFIX to fix the yellow names highlight in the battle HUD, but that never fixed it for me.

Another idea, maybe restarting your plugins settings, or even downloading a fresh file might help. Just use "regedit" on Windows search, browse to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Vision Thing > PSEmu Pro". Inside are the plugin specific settings. You can try deleting just the SPU folder, or the whole PSEmu Pro folder, but you'll have to reconfigure every plugin. You could also try deleting the "Pcsxr" folder (same path before "Vision Thing"), because there could be conflicts with old PCSX-R branches. But those are just thoughts XD.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  3. nayboo

nayboo New Member

@TheDimensioner
    thank you again, i tried everything except getting into the registry. Will try this later this evening. Until now, nothing helped, what is quite frustrating.
  4. nayboo

nayboo New Member

Sorry again for double posting, but after that long time i hope its ok..

@TheDimensioner
    You sir are my hero!! Deleting the PCSXR-folder in registry helped!!! I have almost no sound problems now, those still remaining are very very hard to notice (like screen transitions sometimes only run to 98-99%% perfectly, soundwise).
    To be honest, thought i never had PCSX-R on my system (old builds), but this could be the only explanation.
    So thanks a LOT for your help, i can finally enjoy the game in the best state possible!!!
  5. TheDimensioner

@nayboo You're welcome! I thought about the registry thing because I myself have downloaded many different PCSX-R builds, before PGXP became my main PSX emulator. For some reason, even if the options are "ok", the registry folder is superior and will overwrite anything you set up manually. I wished someone recoded that part of PCSX-R (since it's open source) and made that all options are in a single .ini, or .cfg file, that could be easily modified without going into tons of GUIs, or inside the registry for "hidden" stuff. I guess the current configs are kinda broken for that matter, so it might be hard to change it... just guessing XD!

But I'm glad I could help. Enjoy the best way to play PSX games!

By the way, has PGXP been implemented in other PCSX-R builds, besides the "main" one we have here? I know someone talked about a 64-bit build that was on emucr, but I don't trust their methods... Since I've become kind of active with this emulator recently (been doing simple let's play videos), I wished to have an updated version, with at least some of the older bugs fixed. Or at least an updated audio or CD-R plugin, because those are my main problems XD. Eternal SPU is too old and P.E.Op.S 1.10 is "lazy", as in it works well only when it wants to. The CD-R plugin is also too old, and is related to audio in some ways. I can't use Mednafen HW core on Retroarch, because that doesn't run well on my system, and it's a mess to properly configure. Tried even to do custom .inis just for PSX, but it won't read my options for some reason...
    LuismaSp89 likes this.
  6. LuismaSp89

LuismaSp89 New Member

@TheDimensioner

I found a problem with the plugin, let´s see if i can explaint it with my bad English:

This plugin uses a different way to store the settings of the shader path. When you work with a emulator, for example like the epsxe, the shader path is stored in the registry "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\epsxe\config\GPUShaderDir" (Inside of this registry key is the directory \shaders by default) and when you set another directory, using the graphical ui of the plugin, this last one prevails. But the changes is not reflected in the registry key of the emulator.

Example of my case:

I have two games, the first is metal gear solid, using a default shader, the path of this shader is the default " \shaders"

The second is Alundra, a 2D game, and i have a shader specially for 2D games, the path of this shader is "\shaders\2D"

Now, i use the epsxe option to create a game profile "Options>save game profile" This is very useful to set the settings and load it auto for each game, and all works ok, except the shader path. I tried everything, but all the time it loads the shader path that is set using the UI. No matters if i set in the alundra configuration txt that the path is \shaders\2D, all the time it loads the default \shader, unless i set it using the ui, but in that case the metal gear solid config uses this last one, not the default.

I don´t know if i explained it very well, but it´s annoying :( the game profiles option works like a charm, but not in this case for the shaders path of the plugin.
  7. TheDimensioner

@LuismaSp89 Well, I'm guessing that the latest 2.0 versions of ePSXe use the same "core" plugin of Pete'sOGL 2.9 for its OpenGL 2.0.0, so some settings, like shader directory, might be in conflict with the specific "GPU" plugin settings in the registry. When I used shaders extensively, I gave up trying to make settings for specific games, so I simply entered my shaders folder and copied the folder path of the shader I wanted, and pasted on the Pete'sOGL2 shader GUI whenever I needed to.

By the way, the current ePSXe still has some GUI issues, that I can't remember specifically right now since it's been a long time since I used it, but crazy things used to happen... not saving options correctly is one of them. One main issue that I still have, is that checking or unchecking "Screen filtering: a nice fullscreen filter" option won't take effect until I restart the emulator, ePSXe or PCSXR-PGXP. That might be specific to the plugin though.

Again, registry settings suck for something that is not even properly "installed" (by option).

#.ini4PSXConfig #EmulationMatters

Don't take that too seriously :p.
    LuismaSp89 likes this.
  8. LuismaSp89

LuismaSp89 New Member

Mmm... i see... Ok, by the way i managed to solve the problem using a .bat that copys the shader of one or other game in the folder of "shaders" is too useful because i use the launchbox frontend for all my games, and i can execute the .bat before the game runs :p

Thanks a lot for your reply.
  9. nayboo

nayboo New Member

@iCatButler
    Something i forgot to do: can't thank you enough for your work, and sharing it with others! This comes from the heart!

Almost every games i own look so much better with PGXP (can't wait for Dino Crisis arriving, ordered it a few days ago :)). I respect the thoughts of people who want exact emulation like mednafen, but higher res and correct geometry is more than a simple nice-to-have.
  10. LuismaSp89

LuismaSp89 New Member

@iCatButler @TheDimensioner

Sorry to be a pain, but i found that Crash Bash, hangs with the PeteOpenGL2 Tweaks 2.4. You can see during play in any minigame sometimes, when you are in the character´s selection screen and go back, etc. But it occurs 100% of the time in the "Medieval Mayhem>Keg Kaboom" minigame. I tested it with default and own settings.

-Tested with PeteOpenGL2 Driver 2.9 and Opengl Driver 1.78 > Both with no problem.

-I can provide a savegame "PAL version SCES-02834" with 100% completion if you desire to test it.

Thank you, and sorry for the inconvenience.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  11. TheDimensioner

@LuismaSp89 There are still some games being discovered to not work with PGXP (or the Tweaks, could be any). Like Driver, if you fail a mission and go to "Try Again", the emulator will crash. I haven't found any workaround, besides using save states to not fail XD. Sadly, I'm no coder/programmer and cannot help with "fixing" the issue, only by finding them...
  12. LuismaSp89

LuismaSp89 New Member

Oh, i´m sorry, i thought that you develope the plugin with iCatbutler. My apologies.

I don´t know if the PGXP is the problem, because Epsxe don´t use it.
  13. nayboo

nayboo New Member

What exactly are the PGXP options for? There are

- Enable pgxp gte vertex creation
    - Enable vertex caching
    - Enable perspective correct texturing

In iCatButler's first post, the following description can be found:

• High Precision Vertex Data (more stable geometry)
    • Reduced Triangle Culling (more detailed models)
    • Perspective Correct Texture Mapping (reduced texture distortion)
    Are those the same?
    mer-curius likes this.
  14. superjupi

superjupi New Member

Vertex creation is more or less turning PGXP itself on or off.

Vertex caching is a feature that aims to improve the stable effect of PGXP, but has a potential to do more harm than good depending on the game. I've never had an issue leaving it on, but your mileage may vary.

Perspective correct texturing aims to prevent textures being warped, and should be left on, unless you like straight lines on walls turning into a long line of corrugated W's (and if you do, PGXP probably isn't your thing).

For logic mode, 'memory only' is the safest setting. Memory+CPU will improve some games, but break others. Personally, I can leave mem+CPU selected and only see a handful of issues (a couple games have background distortion, minimaps not working in a couple racing games, and Tekken 3 being unplayable), but others are not so fortunate.

The settings you'll want to use depend on what game you want to play, and how finicky it plays with your hardware. Just give it a test and see how it goes.
    mer-curius and iCatButler like this.
  15. nayboo

nayboo New Member

Thanks for this explanation.

Until now, all options turned on + memory only never produced any problems, at least with the tested games.

Well, except one. That would be Vagrant Story. Start menu is broken, and game won't start. But I think that's a question of tweaking.
    mer-curius likes this.
  16. Rez_

Rez_ New Member

I just tried Armored Core with PGXP, it looks absolutely fantastic.
    It's one of the games that benefits most from the geometry fix imo, I uploaded a video of it here:
  17. nayboo

nayboo New Member

@Rez_
    This looks so clean, great choice :thumbsup:

@topic
    Still hoping this project will get updates in the future, would be sad if it gets abandoned. It was written somewhere that PGXP is not compatible with epsxe (which was my psx emulator of choice until i discovered PCSXR PGXP), am i right? Why is that so? Are the bases of these emulators so different?

And why do i mention epsxe? For me it runs perfectly on my system, except for the visual "instability". On the other hand its overall-Performance is great (sound, almost every game is i own is playable without the need of fixes).
  18. TheDimensioner

@nayboo I've heard the ePSXe team is "secluded", and their project is closed source. PGXP is open source and iCatButler said that anyone is free to read the code and implement it to their projects, and that's what happened with libretro-mednafen (Retroarch Mednafen HW core). There is even Vulkan support on that core, but I don't know how it's performing now; the last time I tried, it was not good (my PC isn't good as well, but at least PCSXR-PGXP still works well in it, so I use that XD).

The latest versions of ePSXe, although brought many welcome improvements (in that regard, that came from the Android version), also brought some issues, that were fixed by some 2.0.x versions. But some things aren't as intended when I use it. It can crash out of nowhere, some GUI issues still persist, and the main one, is that CD-R timings were supposed to be improved on the latest version, but right now, games take too long to load. I know the PlayStation's CD drive is actually really slow (1x? 2x?), but emulation should be able to circumvent that. Although it's much better for games that needed that improvement (like Tomba! 2, it loops CDDA music correctly now), I simply can't stand load screens on ePSXe in comparison to PCSXR-PGXP. But it still is the best performing plugin based emulator (that still get updates, sometimes).
    nayboo likes this.
  19. rodgil

rodgil New Member

Hi, I'm extremely interested in this. I am intrigued about the possibility of enhancing the console's capabilities like PGXP is doing. I tried to compile the source on Debian and it appears to be broken(I can post output if desired). Are there any working Linux builds with the tweaked plugin? The plugin source appears to only be buildable on Windows.
  20. superjupi

superjupi New Member

The Vulkan core is insanely fast. It's faster than the Tweak plugin without PGXP support. That kind of insanely fast. If you have Vulkan support, Mednafen HW is absolutely the emulator to use for PlayStation.

Sadly, OpenGL on Mednafen HW is still far and away the slowest hardware renderer. But we still have PCSXR PGXP, which is still faster (and much less jittery) than ePSXe's stock plugin (with its own increased GTE accuracy implementation), or at least for me, at any rate.