PCSXR-PGXP

Discussion in 'PCSX Discussion' started by iCatButler, Aug 8, 2016.

1. SolisX

SolisX Member

Hello Salk,

1. You need to have it set to PeteOpenGL2 Tweaks 2.4.

2.The stable version of pcsxr is 1.9.93 but it's really old and now there are to many fixes in the newest version of pcsxr. Your better off using the newest version of pcsxr.

3.I believe some of the options are on when start pcsxr-pgxp. However pgxp is set to disabled but you need to have it enable at least to memory only for dino crisis to look better.

4.If your wondering why epsxe does not have this feature is because epsxe is closed source. Meaning only the author has access to the source code. Only he can add it to epsxe.

Dino Crisis with pgxp mode disabled.
    [​IMG]

Dino Crisis with pgxp mode memory only.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  2. meowchin

meowchin New Member

Thanks for the new version! It finally fixed my OC issue. Before that games were running in slow motion for some reason, no matter which multiplier I've choosen.
  3. Kristijan1001

Kristijan1001 New Member

i just tried it with SPU 1.50 like you told me and the sound is good now,Tell me which do u preffer Eternal SPU or P.E.Op.S Sound Driver ? Also i tried no x2 overclock works fine,if i put it over 2 the game breaks and drops fps on Intel Core i5 3.00Gz Quad Core,Thanks alot,Also is the emulator using all of my 4 cores or just one and if not is there a way to make it use the whole cpu potential ? Thanks
    Btw is the Eternal SPU shoulbe be 1.50 Beta 2 ? or is there full release of 1.50 thats not beta if so if someone can post it please

soorry for askin again but what is this u have in ur video (ResHack X/Y 3), ? and how do i use one thanks
  4. TheDimensioner

TheDimensioner New Member

@Kristijan1001 I don't know which sound plugin I prefer anymore XD. Eternal SPU 1.50 is good for most games (also, 1.50 beta 2 is the latest version, even if it's from 2005 :confused:). But P.E.Op.S 1.10 is more recent and has more improvements, but it is more "finicky" to set up. Async mode should work just like Eternal, and in at least one game (Resident Evil), I discovered that P.E.Op.S emulates the menu's sound effects correctly (muffled), while Eternal makes it "high quality". The worst thing about Eternal, is that it always drags the most CPU usage, even if it looks "fake" sometimes; you can look at task manager while running a game, with Eternal the usage will be high, but even at the highest settings (if your system can manage), it will run fine. But for the overclock setting, Eternal is always better. Go with what your ears prefer XD.

You have a great CPU for emulation, I'm envious :oops:! But sadly, PCSXR(PGXP) only benefits from one core, and depending on how the CPU handles single threaded operations, it might use extra cores for heavier tasks (correct me if I'm wrong). An i5 is definitely one of the best at doing that for any emulator, so you're ok at that side. But at the GPU side, it's best not to crank ResHack up too much. This setting is on the gpuPeteOpenGL2Tweak.ini, inside the inis folder in PCSXR-PGXP's emulator root. It basically replaces the Internal X/Y resolution in Pete'sOGL2 GUI, so you can leave that at "0". But setting that to Internal X/Y "2"/"3", would be the same as setting ResHack X/Y to 8/8, but ResHack can go beyond that.

It doesn't work like most emulators, as it won't multiply the actual internal screen resolution (320x240 for most PSX games), but the render surface; imagine the floor, and every object connected to it in Tomb Raider was one big texture, and the resolution of that texture was 1024x512. So it's pointless setting ResHack to anything higher than what your screen resolution is. For 960x720 (which is actually x3 320x240), I use ResHack X/Y 3, assuming that's what the PSX would do, which is multiply the "render surface" by 3. Doubling it (ResHack X/Y 6), does make the image even more sharp, but effectively there's still "jaggies" (aliasing), since the screen resolution is still "low". For 1920x1080, you can set ResHack X/Y to 6/5. 1080 is not a multiplier of 240 (240x5 is 1200), but unlike other emulators, pixels won't be "out place" (it's not that perceivable in FullHD anyways), since it's the render surface that's being multiplied. Keep in mind that like screen resolution, there's a limit for a GPU's render surface. My GPU (GeForce 9600GT 1GB), has a max render surface of 8192x8192, which would be exactly ResHack X/Y 8/16. Modern GPU's definitely support more than that, so you can try higher settings (but again, practically futile for 1080p).

If you're worried by aliasing, you can use a FXAA shader to overcome that. There's also Supersampling AA shaders, but those are very heavy (at least for me), and I don't see many differences from FXAA. Some people reported that setting an anti-aliasing profile through the GPU driver settings might also work, but not for me, since my GPU is old and only allows bypasses for DirectX applications...

Here's the latest PSX shader pack (click on "Télécharger..."): http://www.emu-france.com/emulateur...ny-playstation-psone/3695-epsxe-shaders-pack/

It says ePSXe, but it's actually for Pete'sOGL2 plugin. I think you already know how to use it, since your screenshot in an earlier post showed that XD.
    Kristijan1001 likes this.
  5. Kristijan1001

Kristijan1001 New Member

Ye i am using pete_ogl2_shader_scale2x since i heard its something like AntiAnalising ,Also my xy was set(see below) ,I think it was as default since i didnt even know about this since now.Also Thanks a ton for the info u provided appreciate it :) ,Also as for the sound i tried the P.E.Op.S one with async set but the sound is awfull when cpu overclock is on,i guess ill stick to EnternalSPU which i set like you told me and it runs fine.Thanks again

[​IMG]

[ResHack]

#Internal resolution X multiplier, recommended max: 8
    MulX = 8

#Internal resolution Y multiplier, recommended max: 12
    MulY = 8
  6. zackboy

zackboy New Member

Hi @iCatButler
    Just now I wanted to test PCSX with PGXP in memory+CPU but by missclick I launched the Bios, and there is some false positives in SCI logo, there is few vertices so I think test the bios for your project will be easier than any other games :)

Overclock in x1.25 is just perfect (but the SPU have to be correctly configured):
    No Gamepad break, No Speed issue (or anecdotal, plus generally games with speed depending to the CPU's clock aren't optimised for PAL, 60/50 > 1.2≈1.25 that's correct :p) and less framerate drop.
    I can't imagine this with mednafen's "CPU Overclock" instead of just "WipEout MemHack" :p
    I know that's not your speciality but do you thik it can be implemented ?
  7. meowchin

meowchin New Member

Problem with ResHack is that it downsamples with nearest neighbour. It would be awesome if it was bilinear. This would eliminate the need of antialiasing, because it would work essentialy the same as SSAA.
    If you choose 5 as multiplier with 1080p resolution, it's not that bad, but you can sometimes see imperfections. If you have the GPU power, I would suggest using higher multiplier.

Also, you can use ReShade + SweetFX for SMAA antialiasing. This is less blurry that FXAA. I recommend Reshade ver. 2.0, 3.0 doesn't work very good with PCSX.
  8. TheDimensioner

@Kristijan1001 Scale x2 is an anti-aliasing method, but more for 2D games, where it scales sprites' pixels by x2, and makes them more round. It generally looks ok with 3D, but at high resolutions. It's too "grainy" when looked up close though. The Tweaks always defaults ResHack X/Y to 8, so even if you configured the internal res in Pete'sOGL2 2.9 GUI, you would be using the maximum it supported anyway (but like I said, ResHack goes beyond). Also, P.E.Op.S will work with overclock when configured to either "Thread" or "Timer". And you're welcome ;)!

@meowchin I only went by what tapeq said in his many explanations about ResHack in the Tweaks thread (although I still quite don't understand it myself XD). And I think that bilinear would make things quite blurry, unless at very high screen resolutions. The "screen filtering" option in the Pete'sOGL2 GUI already does that, doesn't it? I use FXAA solely because it's very lite, without the performance issues of SSAA/SMAA, or any "normal" AA. It only looks good at ResHack X/Y above 4 though; at 3 and below, you can see transparent dots around characters and some text. Shader level does not change that...
    ---
    I've tried another game with PGXP recently, and that's Spider-Man. It does not work as intended, because it has a weird level of detail drawing method. The LOD bias has many "levels" at which the camera approaches 3D models to make them more detailed, and I guess PGXP doesn't account for that very well. It's similar to the Duke Nukem games in that aspect, but somewhat inverted, as middle to close models appear high precision, and far alway models appear low presicion. Spider-Man puts even more detail to the closer models, and that just makes them more deformed with PGXP. It's definitely better than without it though.

"Memory only" or "Mem + CPU logic" modes seem to work similarly, but "Mem + CPU" does improve things slightly, at the cost of CPU usage. "Mem + CPU" might also give some false positives, but I'm not sure if they can be labeled like that; only a few vertices will wobble up close, when moving the character/camera. Here's a couple of videos comparing both modes:

Spider-Man, "Mem + CPU logic" mode, OpenGL 1.78, 960x720, CPU overclock x1.5

Spider-Man, "Memory only" mode, OpenGL 1.78, 960x720, CPU overclock x1.5

Note: I had to use the previous WIP (WIP_PGXP_build_16_08_31), because the new visualization mode in the new WIP doesn't quite show high or low precision (at least for a noob like me).

Notice that in "Mem + CPU" the closer Spidey gets to objects, more "lines" they will "produce". Without the debug, you can see that that's actually detail being added. The characters themselves are already at "full detail", so they are "solid" with any mode.

This game is a pain for me to record in my PC. It needs CPU overclock because PGXP makes it very slow. When FPS dips below 30 here, it will lock at 20 FPS, and below that, locks it at 15 FPS. OpenGL 1.78 is weird because it always lock it at 20 FPS (without overclock). I couldn't use the widescreen hack, because the "Mem + CPU" footage would get even choppier, so it's just at the original format, but this game doesn't have major problems with it. The new WIP with its fractional CPU overclock is better on that regard, because at x1.25, framerate won't go so low, still keeping the 30FPS lock.

Speaking of the new WIP, are "colored" viewing modes gone? It's harder to make out low precision with this new mode:
    Show Spoiler
    pcsxr0003.png pcsxr0004.png pcsxr0005.png pcsxr0007.png
    Is it possible to implement the old mode back, with this one as well, in a different hotkey maybe?

And a small extra, here's the BIOS with PGXP's "Mem + CPU logic" XD:

SCPH-1001, "Mem + CPU logic", 960x720 (ResHack X/Y 2), xBRz x2
  9. meowchin

meowchin New Member

ResHack renders in the resolution you set in .ini. If you set it to resolution higher than your display, it's being downsampled to your native resolution, but it does it with nearest neighbour algorithm. If it would be possible to downsample it with bilinear or bicubic, it wouldn't be blurry - it would work essentialy the same way as SSAA. Higher resolution = smaller pixels = smoother edges after downsampling.

As for SMAA - it's a postprocess AA, just as FXAA. Performance is comparable to FXAA.
  10. TheDimensioner

@meowchin I see. Anyways, ResHack is still usable, and a good option for 4k resolutions and above (in the future), since Pete'sOGL2 doesn't support anything above 2k (max settings equivalent to ResHack X/Y 8), and we'll hardly see a modern hardware video plugin for PSEmuPro; I mean the plugin system, and there's still hope though!

At least every AA shader I tried on Pete'sOGL2, were significantly slower than FXAA, that has no performance impact. I remember trying a SMAA shader, and my GPU didn't like it XD. ReShade, well, is kinda complicated for me, and not worth a shot since I'm satisfied with the simple FXAA XD. My "brand new" CRT also does a good job at cleaning unwanted aliasing, since it's not fixed pixels, but lines being drawn at real time.
  11. Salk

Salk New Member

iCatButler and SolisX,

thank you so much for your help.

I noticed how enabling Hi-Res Textures in the plugin causes a complete mess so I learned that it should be off (it works fine without using Tweaks 2.4).

One more question is: would you recommend to have all those three PGXP options (PGXP vertex creation, Vertex caching and Perspective correct texturing) enabled?

Thanks again and good luck with your projects!
  12. fischkopf

fischkopf Member

@Salk you should leave vertex caching off, you can enable the other two options.
  13. zackboy

zackboy New Member

Here is a short video for watching PGXP Mem+CPU Logic "Funny" issues:
    TheDimensioner likes this.
  14. TheDimensioner

@zackboy There's also Crash Team Racing, where this happens with "Mem + CPU logic":

Note: slowdown due to recording... "Mem + CPU" is not required for this game to work with PGXP, but that's also a funny glitch.
  15. iCatButler

iCatButler New Member

@TheDimensioner it's only supposed to draw semi-transparent triangles like that, so you can see the values for any geometry behind them, but it's getting a false positive when "Advanced Blending" is active. I've fixed this and uploaded a new build, this also fixes some problems with the Vertex Colour view.

WIP_PGXP_build_17_03_19.zip
    I'm not sure if using wireframe for transparent geometry is the best solution, I might change it if I can think of anything.

The CPU emulation is definitely far from perfect but I think it might need a big rewrite to get much improvement. The biggest problem are bitwise functions, they get used a lot to speed up integer maths (like using shift operations to divide by powers of 2) but are also used in other ways. Ideally I'd have the system check for groups of these ops and guess what the intention was but that could be really slow. I suppose an ugly solution might be to have multiple implementations that users could choose depending on the game :(

As always, thanks for the feedback.

@Salk Vertex caching should only really be used if you notice large seams in a game even with +CPU mode enabled (Spyro used to have this problem).

The Tweak's xBRz and 2.9's Hi-Res textures are mutually exclusive, they can't both be enabled at the same time. You just need to disable whichever one you're not wanting to use (set xBRz to 0 in the .ini file or disable Hi-Res in the config menu).
    natr0n and TheDimensioner like this.
  16. TheDimensioner

@iCatButler Thank you for the fix, it looks much better now!

pcsxr0003.png pcsxr0004.png pcsxr0006.png pcsxr0007.png

I don't know what the mode in the last pic does, but I like the shadowy style it gives, I could see myself playing a game like that!

Also, I've noticed on my second Spider-Man video just now: there might be some false-positives on Black Cat's chest area XD... (haha, childish me :oops:).
  17. zackboy

zackboy New Member

After looking w-component of some games I saw Harry Potter, Metal Gear Solid, donald duck quack attack, Rayman 2 and Tomb Raider Games who will work correctly with instead of OT. (enable CPU Logic help sometimes)

I have an idea for helping some games, make a "Depth mode" list:
    - Ordering Table (Original, more compatible less precise)
    - w-component (Less compatible, buggy)
    - Hybrid (Use w-component in Ordering Table)

For the Hybrid the OT stays the main "Z-buffer" but vertices with the same(similar not identical) depth value will be also sorted by w-component (like an OT in an OT/ except verry first and last drawed values in the OT for protect eventual UI/skybox/background), with that method only "z-fighting" will be corrected.
    For exemple with your crash bandicoot 3 screens in your 1st post the levels should display correctly
    Toy Story 2 and pandemonium are good exemples.
    Maybe Gran Turismo 1 (the colors are limit limit)

I think Spyro will not work... Again I'm not sure, with OT values I only see Red and sometimes Yellow or cyan, but alway one color... :/
    I'm not sure for Crash 3 warp room..
    Gran Turismo 2 too
    Or maybe there are just many "same" colors with small variants (there are not all identical when I use a magic wand in an image editor (and the repartition seems Logic), Spyro is the only one who all colors are identical)

Excuse me to talk again for z-buffer, I promise it's the last time :p

EDIT: I tested many games more or less popular in my search of obscure engines, I found some Games who have also multiples problems with the Ordering Table view:
    Spyro 1/2/3, Rugrats: Search for Reptar, Stuart Little 2, Disney's Treasure Planet, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six series
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017 at 2:43 PM
  18. Salk

Salk New Member

Thanks again, fischkopf and iCutButler!

I also have been wondering which audio plugin might be the best to use and I seem to find most people usually answer "there is not one that is good at everything", which is not really what users would hope to hear.

The "in-house" ePSXe audio plug-in does a very good job, in my opinion.

With PCSXR-PGXP I have Eternal SPU as default though.
  19. fischkopf

fischkopf Member

The one sound plugin that has the "smooth SPUasync" setting seemed to work the best for me (I forgot what it was called) it also works well even if you make use of the CPU overclock feature.
  20. nayboo

nayboo New Member

That would be Eternal SPU plugin ;) The version i use is 1.50.

If sound problems/performance remain after changing the plugin (or even the emulators version), it may helpful trying out the following