PCSXR-PGXP

Discussion in 'PCSX Discussion' started by iCatButler, Aug 8, 2016.

1. TheDimensioner

TheDimensioner New Member

I watched a video recently about ActRaiser, a SNES game that is kinda weird, being an action adventure platformer, with RPG and building sim elements... Yeah, but the game is pretty cool, and I decided to see what other games its devs (Quintet) had made. And they made this PSX action RPG: "The Granstream Saga", under the dev name "Shade". Being fully 3D, I had to give it a go with PGXP.

The 3D models are pretty simple, but I was surprised it actually ran at full 60FPS. PGXP has no major issues using "Memory only" mode, and although simplistic, it makes this game's models look quite nice:

The Granstream Saga, PGXP "Memory only" mode, 640x480@60p, ResHack X/Y 2, no filters (besides MDEC filter for less artifacts during FMVs, meaning smaller bitrate and file size), widescreen hack enabled

The beginning cutscene is unskippable, so I had to disable the FPS limiter, for a smaller video and smaller file size to upload :oops:. And the screen turning dark after the title seems to be a video plugin bug, because it doesn't happen on the software plugin, nor in Mednafen and pSX(fin).

I had to put the settings this low to be able to capture the game at 60FPS without chopping, and it was nice that the audio plugin actually handled it well, maybe because the game uses older methods that Eternal SPU has better compatibility with... But the game seems to be quite heavy when running with PCSX-R(PGXP) and the Tweaks' enhancements, becoming slow when ResHack and xBRz is set very high, not even CPU overclock can save it (in my PC at least XD).

And speaking of enhancements, this game looks gorgeous with xBRz (in my opinion):
    Show Spoiler
    PSOGL2_001.png PSOGL2_002.png PSOGL2_003.png PSOGL2_004.png PSOGL2_005.png PSOGL2_006.png PSOGL2_007.png PSOGL2_008.png
    This is using 1280x960, ResHack X/Y 4, xBRz x4 and no fullscreen filter or shaders, because it isn't necessary when fitting every pixel correctly (less xBRz aliasing, sharper image). This and Alundra are the only games so far that I haven't seen any issue with the Tweaks' xBRz implementation. There's no black "dirt" around text nor sprites, and no apparent "cuts" caused by the filter. 3D textures look sharp and correctly scaled, and there's no "deformation" of background scenery since they're not detailed enough, and text is very readable. Even FMVs run fullspeed, but they're natively 15FPS, so it's less frames for the filter to upscale anyway. Of course, I've never played this before, and haven't gone far enough into the game to see if there's more detail or stuff that xBRz could "break". But I think it looks pretty good still!
    otherman likes this.
  2. CloudXIV

CloudXIV New Member

After running for like 30 seconds my whole system resets. I've tried both this and epsxe with GTE accuracy hack, both reset my computer every goddam time. I really don't know why. Help!
    My PC specs: i5 4690k @4,2ghz, 16gb ddr3, gtx 1070, win 7 64-bit.
  3. fischkopf

fischkopf Member

Seems like a hardware problem, you should check your GPU and CPU temperatures under heavy load. An unstable CPU overclock could also be the reason, and check your RAM clocks and voltages too.
  4. CloudXIV

CloudXIV New Member

Doesn't seem like it. It never happened before or after with any other software. I did stress tests and benchmarks, my temps are pretty low. Even when running the emulator, temps and load are low on both cpu and gpu, it just resets for no reason.
    When I try ff7, I can't even get past the lengthy opening FMV, because it resets during the FMV...
  5. unreal676

unreal676 New Member

It's very possible that PCSX-r and PGXP or epsxe and it's GTE stuff is 'hammering' your computer in a way that those benchmarks and stress tests don't, which results in a crash for your computer.

I'd recommend trying to take things back down to stock for a simple test; ascertain if the crashes stop in such an environment.

If it still crashes.... then.... no idea; it's a little strange to see both programs crash with these enhancements turned on.
  6. CloudXIV

CloudXIV New Member

It is strange...
    I tried all possible PGXP configs with pcsxr, when I turn everything off it doesn't crash, if I turn ANYTHING in the PGXP config on it crashes, even if I set the resolution to 640x480.
    I've had this PC for over 3 years and I never had any stability problems, so I really don't know what is going on...
  7. TheDimensioner

TheDimensioner New Member

@CloudXIV You said you're using Windows 7, is it up to date? PCSXR-PGXP and ePSXe 2.0.x need VS 2015, which supposedly only works on Win Vista upwards, but maybe your Win 7 version might be a "stock" version, which does not have the necessary updates... but that may be just bs, I don't know if it makes sense XD.

Last guess, try cleaning up your registry. Remove older emulator configs that might be conflicting with the GTE hacks, and even try re-downloading a fresh emulator "pack" (with the whole folder structure). To clean the registry, type "regedit" on Windows search (or the run bar on Win 7), than go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software, and delete the ePSXe folder. Scrolling down, delete the "Pcsxr" folder, and there should be a "Vision thing" folder just down below. Delete that as well, since that stores most of Pete's and other plugins configs (primitive, we should have .inis XD). All you'll have to do then, is boot a fresh PCSXR-PGXP or ePSXe .exe, and reconfigure everything to your taste. If that still resets your PC, than I don't know anymore...
  8. unreal676

unreal676 New Member

@CloudXIV Yeah, I've had some software (games) that simply didn't like my computer being overclocked how it was, so returning it to stock or taking it down a few notches solved that issue, I would honestly recommend just trying it. RAM and CPU overclocks back down to stock and see how it goes.

TheDimensioner also brings up some good tips to try as well.
  9. CloudXIV

CloudXIV New Member

Thanks for your replies and suggestions guys. I'll do some more testing tomorrow on fresh settings and stock clocks.
  10. lawwwgun

lawwwgun New Member

Parasite eve.png Hi, people! I installed recently PCSXR-PGXP and tried to launch Parasite Eve and this is how it looks like, I changed settings but nothing helped, but ofcourse if I use default psxr video plugin there are no such problems. What to do?
  11. zackboy

zackboy New Member

TheDimensioner likes this.