PCSXR-PGXP

Discussion in 'PCSX Discussion' started by iCatButler, Aug 8, 2016.

1. FireNX70

FireNX70 New Member

I am aware that Vulkan is better precisely because it has features OpenGL lacks. Obviously, if we wanted to replicate it with OpenGL it would have to be a with version old enough that it is more compatible than Vulkan but new enough that it can be used to replicate it without losing accuracy.
  2. otherman

otherman New Member

To my knowledge, such version doesn't exist. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  3. FireNX70

FireNX70 New Member

I don't know. If anything that can run OpenGL 4.3 can run Vulkan I would have to look at Tiny Tiger's renderer and see if it can be done with an OpenGL version older than that. Of course I would only go through the effort of replicating it if it meant a big increase in compatibility, so it would have to be doable with say OpenGL 3 or 3.x.
  4. zackboy

zackboy New Member

I also saw that, I thought like you before.. ^^'
    Correct real z-fighting (coplanar) is impossible without game hack...

But I think there is two ways for reduce that if you can detect z-fighting:
    -Soluce 1 replace the Z-fighting: use the Ordering table priority(Or your own average value) and choose which has to be "winner", this is the most accurate but Tomb Raider textures will continue to shake/disappear.
    -Soluce 2 smoothing: a sort of "blend" between polygons (I've never seen something like that so I don't know if it's possible and how easily that can be implemented), the result can be "strange" but also "interesting".

But as I said I've never seen z-fighting fix, only patches/polygons offset, patching game engines for emulators isn't possible.. I'm not even sure if it's possible to detect a z-fighting especially if there more than two polygons "fighters"...
  5. otherman

otherman New Member

Thinking on a solution: can you identify (and track) object/poly for texture used?
    If this is possible (and I think it is), you can use that to compare frames and fix depth and z-figthing. It would not work for untextured polys, but it would cover most cases. Also if the same texture is used on more than one object/poly, it would be good enough for the tracking.

This would lead to custom textures too
  6. zackboy

zackboy New Member

You are so smart :O
    But sometimes there is z-fighting with different textures (Bloody Roar 2/Tomb Raider shadows), you think it would be ok with?
  7. otherman

otherman New Member

Is it sarcasm? I feel like Sheldon Cooper from The big bang theory now.

I can't code a thing, I'm a newbie, but I'm a dreamer (and I like logical puzzle). iCatButler found some of my ideas are good, others useless. I try to help. PGXP is based on an idea 16 year old born in this forum, you know.

My idea, if possible and practical, solve some depth buffer and z-fighting. I'm sorry if I've not found the answer to live, universe and everything... I'm thinking of 6x7...
  8. zackboy

zackboy New Member

No no really, your proposition, or at least the main idea, seems logic for me (and I feel pretty idiot now...)

Yes I know, I've already read verry old post, it pretty funny today (and really thank to edgbla and especially iCatButler)

I'm sad and happy to see Tomb Raider badly "programmed/optimised" the result is bad with z-buffer, but that means the PSX is more powerful than we thought!
    I'm looking a lot many games with the debugs visualisations and now I have many ideas for optimising a lot a graphical engine in my head, I think with making an open world/sand box (so a GTA SA like) would be easier (surprisingly the most optimised games aren't the most beautiful or those in our head)
    otherman likes this.
  9. FireNX70

FireNX70 New Member

I must have missed something but why keep track of specifically the textures?
  10. u3L05 vh9jV

u3L05 vh9jV ...

11. zackboy

zackboy New Member

Because in Tomb Raider 1to5 the polygons are drawn in hi and low resolution in the same time resulting z-fighting with the same texture but drawed a little differently.
    It was already visible with the Ordering Table but with an average value instead of z the result was "better" and looks more like a "regression"
    This type of fix would probably correct only Tomb Raider games...
    Don't say it's not important because there are already on pc. Tomb Raider is superior in PlayStation (especially TR3, except for the difficulty) :p

For correcting shadows I don't know how, as I said if it's possible to detect a z-fighting and use the OT priority I would be cool, but maybe it's just a limitation from old opengl api (the precision isn't very high)
  12. TheDimensioner

TheDimensioner New Member

Isn't there a dislike button XD? Anyways, it should be time for me to "take shame upon my face" (Brazilian expression, not as classy as it sounds), and buy a new GPU... But 2015's low budget/good performance hyped GPU, the GTX750Ti, being the one I had my eyes on, costs 2.5x the "real" cost in "$Reais"...

That aside, will there be the possibility for this "brand new PGXP" (as I'm seeing it XD) be able to fix Spyro? I've tried Spyro 3 recently, but "Mem + CPU logic" mode is just too much for it, making it very slow even at the lowest settings, without recording.

From a noobs perspective, I think the Spyro games engine is "heavier" than the Crash games engine, given it's more open world'ish, with more stuff going on, while also trying to hide the PlayStation's imperfections. After gamemasterplc from the PCSX2 forums thread about PSX widescreen cheat codes released a code for Spyro 3, and I also decided to test with my "pseudo ultrawide" method, I could see that this game loads more stuff outside of the screen than others games do, almost going as far as this ultrawide FOV:

Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon, PGXP disabled, 1280x720@30, ResHack X/Y 4/3, fullscreen filter, FXAA shader, CPU overclock x1.25, widescreen hack + cheat

Only during cutscenes there's the most "issues", but during gameplay, very few objects are culled. Of course, this Ultrawide method is overkill, since it isn't actually 21:9 (2.63:1 to be exact), and I'm also playing in a 4:3 CRT XD, but it's still impressive the amount of stuff that this game could show. But that might be because gamemasterplc's cheat codes could be doing some ASM hacking, since he had teased that for the Crash games, where it could fix all those popping textures. Given that @iCatButler had put his latest video with the widescreen hack enabled as well (even with the Crash issues), I assume he enjoys the wide ratio, so better support for it, and PGXP, are much appreciated :p.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  13. FireNX70

FireNX70 New Member

If you're gonna get a new card I'll just stick to Vulkan. Next few weeks I'll be kinda busy but I'll get to it as soon as I can.
  14. TheDimensioner

@FireNX70 Well, it's not like people that understand the coding stuff, would try to make things work on older tech just for my sake XD... Although I'm sure there are others that still use older tech because they have no other options, but still, if it's easier to develop for what's new, than by all means, I'll support the new (as best as I can)!
  15. meowchin

meowchin New Member

Going with Vulkan instead of OpenGL (or dx) would mean loosing one feature, which is important for many people - Reshade. At the moment, Reshade does not support Vulkan or DX12, and it doesn't look like it will change anytime soon.

If you want, I can help you import something from Europe. Although I don't know if it would be any help to you :p
    TheDimensioner likes this.
  16. FireNX70

FireNX70 New Member

@TheDimensioner It's just that you seem nice so I'd feel bad if you couldn't use the new renderer. Also the Reshade thing.
    TheDimensioner likes this.
  17. TheDimensioner

@FireNX70, @meowchin Thank you! Importing from Europe, well, Euros and Pounds are 4x the value of Brazil's currency (R$ = Real), and we have a giant importing tax on anything (60% the value of the product + shipping), and also the shipping, and we still have to pay an additional R$12,00 to the postal service... so ugh, guess it would hextuple the value XD. I do have the option of buying used, but it would need to be at least a NVIDIA 600 series, or AMD (Radeon) 7000 series, since that seems to be the "minimum" GPU requirement for Vulkan. The thing is, that being the minimum, it will have support cut for it faster on future versions, so it wouldn't compensate spending a "middle" amount now, for me to have to replace it just after 2 years or so. The PC master-race is tough to follow XD.

EDIT: Just remembered the NVIDIA GT x20/x30/x40 (or AMD equivalent, I currently don't know the differences for them XD), but I would have to stick to emulation using those, because the experience I had with them on other persons computers, is that some that were 5 to 6 year younger than my own 9600GT performed worse on games that run smooth here...

And thanks for saying I'm nice FIreNX70, I try to help with my logic (not much knowledge XD) when I can!
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    otherman and meowchin like this.