PEOPS DSound 1.09 - repair

Discussion in 'PSX Plugin Questions & Troubleshooting' started by shalma, Dec 9, 2010.

1. VGRageaholic

VGRageaholic New Member

Thanks - that works much better. Although I get the occasional sound cut-out but I believe someone in this very long thread there's a single INI option that fixes that. I'm going to have a look.

EDIT: "To get rid of sound pausing every 4-5 minutes with XAudio 2 driver, set PhantomPostPad to "0" in spuPeopsSound_expert.ini"

Thanks a million for your config :)
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  2. aRadiatedNoodle

aRadiatedNoodle qwerty

In the user guide:

"WARNING:
    When switching spu plugins, it's best to --restart-- if possible from a
    fresh memcard or new game."

I thought something like this only applied to savestates... oO

Will I really be better off with a new memory card or new game when switching SPU plugins? What issues can occur?

Also, would anyone mind telling me what the difference is between normal and zinc :)?
  3. jona1995

jona1995 New Member

Well, I don't know but I recently had to change my hard drive so I reinstalled a fresh ePSXe 1.9.0 and I don't have some sound glitches that I was experiencing before.

Tough, my new HDD is faster than the previous one and I now use the ISO reader from ePSXe instead of CDRMooby. Difficult to say what helped with the plugin but it's working better.

Use the normal version, the zinc one is for a specific emulator if I remember well ;)

PS: I apologize if my english is not perfect, I speak french^^"
  4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer Fluffy Animal Admirer

Never had any issues except with Square Enix games, but even then they were far and few between. Having to restart a game when you change a plugin is asinine, just make a save in-game, close, change plugin and load from the most recent save, not from the beginning. :D
  5. aRadiatedNoodle

aRadiatedNoodle qwerty

I could understand perfectly :)

Good to know about the zinc thing. Have been wondering what that was for quite awhile now. Thanks :)

Ah, good. That'd be a super big PITA to have to do that, lol.

Good to know it's probably not going to be an issue! Thank ya :thumb:
  6. the_randomizer

My pleasure! Some games may sound weird or lack reverb after loading a save, but the loading from memory card has been the best way around it, then you can save and load states all you want :D
  7. aRadiatedNoodle

aRadiatedNoodle qwerty

There's something else I'd like to know...

Is there a big difference between Timers 2, 3 and 4 in terms of accuracy? I get a consistent little *pop* every 6 seconds or so when using 3 and 4. I've only tried FF7, FF8, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, but they all get this little *pop* .

As long as I'm not missing much when using mode 2, then I'm cool with it, but if modes 3 and 4 are worth it, any ideas on what the problem is?
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  8. jona1995

jona1995 New Member

What if you try my settings ?

Version = 110
    SoundDriver = 1
    Timer = 3
    Volume = 10
    Interpolation = 2
    Reverb = 2
    Mono = 0
    UseXA = 1
    XAPitch = 0
    IRQWait = 0
    Debugger = 0
    Recorder = 0
    EmuType = 1 (It's the PAL setting, if you are playing NTSC games, keep "NTSC" )
    ReverbBoost = 0
    Latency = 2 (30-45ms)
    XAFilter = 2
    CDDAFilter = 1
    Output1Filter = 0
    Output2Filter = 0
    XAVol = 10
    CDDAVol = 10
    VoiceVol = 10
    XAStrength = 0
    CDDAStrength = 0
    Output2Strength = 0

And for the expert settings ( Edit the ini files in the plugin directory called "
    spuPeopsSound_Expert )

Version = 110_2
    LatencyTarget = -1
    UploadTimer = 2
    SoundStretcher = 0

APUcycles = 45
    PhantomPad = 0
    PhantomPadSize = 50
    PhantomPostPad = 0
    LatencyRestart = 15
    UploadLowReset = 2
    UploadHighFull = 30
    UploadHighReset = 60
    ReverbTarget = -1
    AsyncWaitBlocker = 13
    AsyncOndemandBlocker = 8
    DebugSoundBuffer = 0
    DebugCdxaBuffer = 0

-------

I have a perfect playback in the Spyro trilogy and Metal Gear Solid PAL with those settings. If you still have troubles, let me know and we will try some other things ;)
  9. aRadiatedNoodle

aRadiatedNoodle qwerty

Okay, so I used those settings for the config files, and... it got worse!

Now... I compared the differences between the above config and my own, and decided to switch back things one by one until the issue was lessened back to its original state. The setting that did just that was "UploadTimer" in the spuPeopsSound_Expert.ini.

From the small amount of comparing I did, it would seem that the lower that value is, the less distance in time there is between pops!

Learning that, I though I'd ramp it up to 100 and see what happened, and I honestly can't really tell if there's much of a difference compared to a value of 25.

Any ideas :pCmad: ?
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  10. jona1995

jona1995 New Member

Okay, I'll need some informations: Wich Emulator do you use, what are the specs of your PC and what are the plugins you are using ?

It took me a long time before I managed to get good settings for my games, I know some things about the plugin ;)
  11. aRadiatedNoodle

aRadiatedNoodle qwerty

I use ePSXe 1.9

Motherboard: GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 1.1 BIOS F9
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE OC'd @3.8Ghz
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7850 OC'd @1160Mhz Core
    SPU: Creative SB Audigy 4 + On-board Realtek
    HDD with emu+games: WDC WD2000JS-22mhbo

GPU plugin: GPU Bladesoft ( The issue occurs with Pete's OGL2 as well, so I don't think it's due to CPU usage )
    SPU plugin: P.E.Op.S. Sound Audio Driver 1.10
    CDR plugin: ePSXe CDR WNT/W2k core 1.7.0 ( I run ISO from hdd )
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  12. jona1995

jona1995 New Member

Well, you seem to be in similar condition than me... Maybe the soundcard is faulty ( I have an Asus Xonar DS ). Anyway, if the troubles come from the soundcard then I see a few possibilities:

1st: Your card doesn't support Async Wait and Async On-Demand, try Async Simple, it's not as accurate as the other Async methods but it does the job ;)

2nd: Try to raise latency, it depends a lot of the soundcard ;)

3rd: Raise UploadTimer in the expert "ini" ( Different soundcard respond very differently with that setting ).

Try to play with those settings, they are the most important. You should keep XAudio2 Stereo as you are using Win7 ;)

And make sure the only box checked is "XA Playing" in the plugin's settings.

If you still get glitches after you tried different combinations, I recommend you to use "SPUEternal 1.42". It doesn't sound as great as PEOpS but you shouldn't get any "pop" or crackling ;)
  13. DAOWAce

DAOWAce Blind

Where do you find this information?
  14. jona1995

jona1995 New Member

You can't, we can only suppose =/
  15. aRadiatedNoodle

aRadiatedNoodle qwerty

I don't think it's a faulty card, as my onboard sound has the same issue.

1: Is async simple still better than Eternal SPU 1.42? Because as far as I can tell, async simple doesn't have any audio artifacting.

2: The latency doesn't affect the popping that I'm getting :/

3: I'll have to mess with it some more, but I don't think any value will help at this point :(

Thanks for the help so far :D
  16. DAOWAce

DAOWAce Blind

Yes. Eternal is old and IMO should only be used if you cannot get any other solution working. This version of PEOPS is the absolute best audio plugin I've ever heard.

Personally, I'm forced to use simple to play through Valkyrie Profile due to that IRQ issue. Otherwise, the 3 and 4 timings still work just fine.

Though, ePSXe's own audio core took a lot of this plugin, which kind of made it redundant if using 1.9. You still get all the fancy options to configure it, but it's mostly the same as far as I've heard (I've not switched over yet as I want to complete VP so I can continue using my save states).

Personally, I'd love if this plugin was updated again, as BladeSoft and PEOPS '1.10' are, as far as I've seen, the absolute best GPU/SPU PSX plugins that currently exist.
  17. the_randomizer

The problem with Eternal is that it uses linear interpolation, real PSX hardware and the PEOPS Dsound uses Gaussian, so it sounds the way a real PSX should sound; I use that or the one the came with ePSXe 1.9.0. It does sound really good :D
  18. jona1995

jona1995 New Member

Yes, if you have no problem with Async Simple, just go for it, it's the best you can get in your situation ;)

The internal SPU plugin in ePSXe 1.9 sounds great but latency is far higher than my settings for peOPs.
  19. aRadiatedNoodle

aRadiatedNoodle qwerty

Looks like I'll be sticking with simple then :)
  20. the_randomizer

A good way to reduce the latency/crackling is disabling the FPS limit in the GPU plugin :D