PeteOpenGL2Tweak - Tweaker for PeteOpenGL2 plugin w/ GTE Accuracy Hack!

Discussion in 'PSX Plugin Questions & Troubleshooting' started by tapeq, Mar 26, 2014.

1. TheDimensioner

TheDimensioner New Member

@zackboy Uhm, if you're sorry about my old GPU, than thank you XD. Graphics cards are really expensive in Brazil, well, any electronics actually, the country with the most expensive iPhone in the world and the R$4.000,00 PS4, which is US$1.227 in today's exchange rate. But I do plan on buying a second hand GTX500 series+ card, when money comes in.

ePSXe still is great, fast and compatible, but the bugs in the new versions are killing it in my opinion. I've used the android version for a while and it's great, if that was ported flawlessly to Windows, and PGXP was finally added (hope ePSXe team and iCatButler are in talks XD), I'll jump into ePSXe again, no problem.

About xBRZ, that issue only happened to me when using save states. Or maybe "TextureCacheSize" is too small, so it can't store every xBRZ texture. Try increasing texture cache. But if it's something like this:

CTR, character select screen, the faces aren't "actually xBRZ"
    Show Spoiler
    PSOGL2_001.png
    Than, nothing can be done with xBRZ. I was using xBRZ x3 here and "FastFBE" disabled, but even with x6 and deposterize, it still looks a little pixelated. I think those are higher resolution sprites, or maybe not detected properly by the filter. Using different shaders, or the "Texture filtering" option in Pete'sOGL2 plugin GUI (not "Hi-Res textures"), helps smoothing those a little, but not to xBRZ levels, if it were "xBRZed".

EDIT: @Hiteryan What game are you playing? Some games still have noticeable wobbliness, even with every option that PGXP provides enabled, like GTA 2. It's still a work in progress, but it's moving forward impressively fast! The latest WIP fixed some games, like Alundra 2 (although some parts still "shake"), making it seem it isn't a PSX game at all XD.

If you set the video plugin as "OpenGL 1.78", and press "F11" in-game, you can see PGXP's debug mode, showing high precision in blue and low precision in red. The other colors were explained recently by iCatButler in the PGXP thread.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  2. zackboy

zackboy New Member

@TheDimensioner I can understand, in France and the rest of the Europe the price aren't converted but translated, however €>$,
    average salary USA > France, cost of life France > USA... In theory..
    But I can't complain, the "scam" is not as high as yours. :/

I don't use save states, it's like cheating for me, i've set texture cache at 256 (but at 0 it's faster in framebuffer (Crash 3/Silent Hill/MGS) it's not possible to add an delay for upscale the texture? it's an framerate killer)
    Yes I talks about the problem like CTR and some other games, the problem is the Pete's 2xSal implementation doesn't have this problem.. (the second problem but it comes from xBRZ is the blackborders)
    The Texture filtering is good in particular for the textures with alpha (smooth edges) but the OGL2 version isn't precise unlike gpuBladeSoft.
  3. Hiteryan

Hiteryan New Member

@TheDimensioner I tried Croc and Crash 2, both US versions. I don't know if those are supposed to work well but at least Crash 3 seems to work very well from your videos, although I haven't tried that one yet, I'll look into it tomorrow as I'll have to go out now. I just hope my messages stop taking so long to show up lol, they need admin approval, I assume because I'm a recent member with few posts. Until then, obrigado! (Sou português! Haha)
  4. TheDimensioner

@zackboy We've just gotten our president(ress, don't know if there's a female term for this word XD) impeached, but her vice-president's (that just assumed) plans of restructuring doesn't benefit us poor salary-men so much, and given the current crisis, more than 4 million people unemployed, grave health issues, and high food prices, due to "nature's madness", doesn't help me on acquiring a new GPU XD. But oh well, that's just part of (my)life I guess...

Yeah, 2xSaI didn't have some of the issues that xBRZ has right now (even on other emulators, like Snes9x and Project64 with GlideN64), but 2xSaI just doesn't look "right" anymore. It also caused some big transparent square grid to appear, most noticeable on games with 2D backgrounds.

Using texture filtering, helped smoothing that "black dirt" on some textures, but it deforms some pixels.
  5. TheDimensioner

@Hiteryan Huh, that's weird. I know that Crash 2 works, but someone mentioned that Croc still had issues, so that game will have to wait for now XD. The options that works best for me are these:
    Captura de Tela (16).png
    Some games will need to add "vertex caching", others change to "Mem + CPU Logic" mode, others need everything enabled. If you have an older version of PCSX-R, maybe PCSXR-PGXP is using your old plugins folder, so even if "GTE hack" is enabled in the .ini, it might be of an older version. So make sure you set the plugins folder to the current WIP_PGXP_build_16_08_31.

É engraçado a demora na verificação dos posts. Não acho que este fórum tenha muitos spammers XD. E disponha!
  6. pepodmc2

pepodmc2 New Member

for what?
  7. TheDimensioner

@pepodmc2 "Mem + CPU Logic" mode can fix some games, while breaking others. There are people that leave it always enabled, but in my case, it breaks more stuff than it fixes, so I preffer "Memory only" mode. See what works better for you.
  8. unreal676

unreal676 New Member

I was the one that tested Croc out, because it was a rather problematic title, I believe turning off Vertex Caching and enabling CPU + Memory mode was the fix. It should be super straight and smooth, just like the PC version.

Edit: Decided to make a quick video showcasing Croc on PCSX-R with PGXP enabled, I know I never did when iCatButler originally fixed the issues for the game.

Running the usual things, CPU Overclock at 2x (Works really well in this game), ResHack at 3x3, xBRZ at 3x, using Asmodean's Shaders for FXAA as well. Running PGXP in CPU+Memory Logic mode with Vertex Caching disabled. It's ultra smooth and there are very little issues with the game.

Note: Been a while since I last played the game so I went with an easier level on purpose just to quickly showcase how it runs. The later stages are harder and longer, sometimes reaching 5 minutes just to complete a single level, though they're also a lot more fun and complex too. Beginning of the video is to showcase the 3D Map selection and how smooth and flawless it is too =)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    TheDimensioner likes this.
  9. Hiteryan

Hiteryan New Member

Aha I was using old plugin files, not the ones from WIP_PGXP_build_16_08_31. It works great now, at least for Crash 2, thanks! Never thought I'd live to see PS1 emulation look this wonderful. I'll test Croc in a bit too
  10. TheDimensioner

@unreal676 Wow, this game really looks great! I've never played Croc before, but it seems fun.
  11. Hiteryan

Hiteryan New Member

@TheDimensioner Croc is great, it was supposed to be a Mario 64 spinoff where you'd play as Yoshi, but it ended up being a fresh new game with an original character. Never really had the appeal that Crash and Spyro had, but still a great game. Oh and the soundtrack is absolutely stellar.

And while the PC version of Croc 1 is pretty much unplayable on modern hardware, Croc 2 is still very well playable (and the best version of the game), and the gameplay mechanics on the sequel were improved. Also you can use software like HxD to make it widescreen, and it natively supports high resolutions. Worth checking out!
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  12. unreal676

unreal676 New Member

@TheDimensioner Yup, it's actually a good game, barring the controls that can be rough (which you can notice in the video above). The Sand section is probably the hardest section, but I realized there was a way to farm lives really quickly which helped a ton, because the jumping and platforming section can be a bit tough.

If you can find it, I think you'd like it.

The game was originally pitched to Nintendo as a potential Mario game too, fun fact =).
  13. TheDimensioner

@unreal676 Huh, I'll take a look at it XD. And I made a Crash 2 video and posted on PCSXR-PGXP's thread, since it's more related to that than xBRZ. I used xBRZ x3, ResHack 6/5, and FXAA + Natural Colors shaders level 2. It looks nice enough, so check it out, if it interests.

@Hiteryan É, parece que seus posts ainda não são confiáveis XD. Just kidding! But I will, and since PGXP practically "fixes" Croc 1 (as unreal676 video already shows), I'll gladly play the PSX version. And if you have any other doubt related to PGXP, use PCSXR-PGXP's thread, you have a better chance of getting answers about it there now, with the author, iCatButler. Although I think you can use this thread for xBRZ, no problem (all hail @tapeq :p).

http://ngemu.com/threads/pcsxr-pgxp.186369/
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  14. Hiteryan

Hiteryan New Member

Yup guess that's the default thread so I'm moving there as well, thanks!
  15. Norton1201

Norton1201 New Member

Hi Guys!

How can i set 4k resolution? or how can i set custom resolution? :)
  16. TheDimensioner

@Norton1201 If your monitor supports 4K resolutions, simply set the maximum fullscreen resolution under "Desktop resolution" in the plugin's GUI. You can set custom resolutions under "Window size", and if you want custom resolutions on fullcreen, check "Use Window size in Fullscreen mode (Widescreen fix)". It can only create a "boxed" window though (black bars on all sides sides, or pillarbox or letterbox image), it cannot crop overscan, for example. For a higher internal resolution, open gpuPeteOpenGL2Tweak.ini in the "inis" folder and set the "ResHack's" "MulX" and "MulY" to something like "8/16", respectively. That's very high already (render surface 8192x8192), but it can go even higher if your video card can handle it. If you set numbers too high, it might crash (in my case, I can't go beyond 8/16).
  17. Norton1201

Norton1201 New Member

Thx for the answer :)

So that thing is possible, unfortunatelly i couldn't find a video in 4k under epsxe. Those videos on youtube only the "rendered 4k".

And i don't know how much better it is. Do you know a video when epsxe ran games in 4k?

Furthermore i found that video, it seemes to be texture hack (spyro edit?),

Is there a way to increase/rechange the texture of psx games? If yes how?
  18. TheDimensioner

@Norton1201 PSX games in "native" 4K wouldn't look much different from native 1080p, since the textures will still be upscaled, for they aren't "natively" of high resolution. It's currently not possible to change textures, and the video you posted is using post-processing "shaders", which gives a new look to games, depending on what shader you use. You can make PSX games even better by using PCSXR-PGXP: http://ngemu.com/threads/pcsxr-pgxp.186369/

All the info you need is on the first post. It's a great emulator, still on development, but improving on every WIP.
    Norton1201 likes this.
  19. Norton1201

Norton1201 New Member

WOW, Guys, that tihng is AWESOME... Amaizig... and more..

I think you should lunch a facebook page, like pcsx2, rpcs3, dolphin wii etc. Everyone should know about this emulator. And I belive, many people will donate, and support this program. :)
  20. unreal676

unreal676 New Member

Just wanted to hop and say thank you Tapeq, today I beat Xenogears and TWEAKS made the game look unbelievably amazing, ResHack was so nice. Fantastic game rendered beautifully.
    Norton1201 likes this.