PeteOpenGL2Tweak - Tweaker for PeteOpenGL2 plugin w/ GTE Accuracy Hack!

Discussion in 'PSX Plugin Questions & Troubleshooting' started by tapeq, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Thirteen1355

Thirteen1355 The Incinerator

How's the game itself?
  2. unreal676

unreal676 New Member

One of the best RPG's I've ever played. Probably the best I've played on the PSX, for sure.
  3. Thirteen1355

But what makes it unique from the 20 other PS1 RPGs (and the 40 Snes RPGs)?
    Is it big?
  4. unreal676

unreal676 New Member

Hmmm, the story is all kinds of insane, honestly, if you ever have the time and want to experience a wild story, give it a try. I was hooked from beginning until end.

It's an expansive game, you'll feel like you don't know anything until you're basically finished with the game, and even then, you'll probably want to read up on a wiki to understand the more complex things that happened more too, which is what I did.

Though the second disk was rushed, due to development constraints, it's still very much worth it and I wouldn't mind it too much.
  5. Thirteen1355

Hmm, still want to play it.
    unreal676 likes this.
  6. Norton1201

Norton1201 New Member

I Agreed :)

TheDimensioner can you test the 2nd moba, The Future Cop L.A.P.D game? :)
  7. TheDimensioner

TheDimensioner New Member

@Norton1201 I never played that before, but I'll see how it works. If it's good, I'll post a video on the PGXP thread.
  8. Elk-

Elk- New Member

I was wondering if someone could help me with the emulation of Xenogears. No matter what settings I try, the sprites for the characters always have cutoff points.

Ex. http://imgur.com/a/Tg8Nh

As you can see, just below the shoulders is cut off going into the waist. That is not how it should be at all.

The dude who made this video: seems to have gotten it perfect, everything is rendered as it should be, and the sprites honestly look amazing.

I have no clue what could be wrong with mine, all of my diagnosing has had no results other than turning off texture filtering all together.
  9. unreal676

unreal676 New Member

@Elk- That's the solution, don't use texture filtering. When you use texture filtering, it'll filter the textures in a way that creates seams when there shouldn't be. If you want nice looking sprites, use either xBRZ or 2xSAL Hi-Res Textures, that'll make your sprites look cleaner. You can't use texture filtering though =).
  10. TheDimensioner

@Elk- You seem to be using "Hi-res textures" (2xSaI). It's common for that filtering option to "cut" textures/sprites into squares, like a grid. Use xBRZ instead, just disable "Hi-res textures" in the plugin's GUI, and enable xBRZ by using Pete'sOpenGL Tweaks 2.4 and setting a number from 2 to 6 in the gpuPeteOpenGL2Tweak.ini (in the "inis" folder, if there isn't one, create it, select the Tweaks and launch the emulator once for the .ini to be generated there). There will be slowdowns during framebuffer effects though, regardless of how powerful your system is.

EDIT: @unreal676 Well, 2xSaI (it's an uppercase "i", I got that confused initially as well XD) causes that grid effect for me in some games. xBRZ does not have that. It's weird how some people "hate" filtering, and curses it for existing and other people using it (not saying about you in particular, there are many that complain about me using filtering in my videos XD). I like some filters, pixelated is not always the best way to go for "classic" games. If you play on a CRT with the correct image settings, you probably won't see all those pixels, because the screen is already "naturally" filtering them.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    unreal676 likes this.
  11. unreal676

unreal676 New Member

@TheDimensioner Ahahaha, I had a long written response to showcase things, but it appears that you are right. xBRZ is the only way to do it properly without having those grids, however with Xenogears, I found that having only 2xSaI should work just fine when not using texture filtering.

I tried Croc as well and yeah, with 2xSaI or Texture filtering, the game gets those iconic grids of badness =(.

Thanks for that, learned something as well.
  12. Elk-

Elk- New Member

I was not using high res textures, just texture filtering.

I am a little bit confused here, I'm running PGXP, PetesOpenGL 2.9 with Tweaks 1.0. I cannot seem to find tweaks 2.4, do you mean I should get PetesOpenGL 2.4 and still use 1.0 tweaks?

Sorry if this is obvious stuff, I'm pretty new to PSX emulation.

Edit: Having to get this approved by a mod is really helping with diagnosing haha. I put in PetesOpenGL 2.4 and it created an ini to see if that was what you were talking about. But the ini shows no setting line for xBRZ

2xSaI works almost fine. You still get the cuts, but they are a bit less noticeable. The real downside is everything still looks far more pixelated than with using texture filtering.
  13. TheDimensioner

@Elk- There is a line for xBRZ on gpuPeteOpenGL2Tweak.ini, just under the [ResHack] options. Set xBRZScale = 3 (for example), and you'll already see results in fonts and sprites. Make sure 2xSaI is disabled, otherwise you'll have multiple graphics issues.

It's weird that you had Tweaks 1.0, I never saw that version XD. Every PGXP WIP (and the most recent, which can be found on its thread: http://ngemu.com/threads/pcsxr-pgxp.186369/) comes with gpuPeteOpenGL2Tweak.dll, which is version 2.4 of the Tweaks. The first page of this thread only has version 2.3 (meant for ePSXe).
  14. Elk-

Elk- New Member

Oh man, that was the issue haha. I honestly have no clue how I ended up with version 1.0.

There are still lines with 6 xBRZ, but generally only in motion and almost unnoticeable. Might be just a general emulator issue with the game, or it could be possible the game was like this even with PSX hardware but it was so low resolution you couldn't tell. Thanks for all the help, the sprite work looks excellent now.

Edit: The UI seems to be a bit odd. Cursors not lining up with where they should be point to, text going out of the spaces it should be in. Compass on screen still being stretched. Is this a GTE widescreen issue, or is it a setting that can be fixed?
  15. TheDimensioner

The widescreen hack generally tries to put 3D elements in the middle of the screen (4:3 area) while stretching every 2D element. Sometimes, text boxes are "3D" elements, and cursors might also be 3D, while text and "map" textures are 2D. It's very rare when the hack centers the game's UI, like in the Crash games, the wumpa fruit and box counters are centered. I don't know how Xenogears works with the widescreen hack, maybe it stretches the characters as well, since they're 2D sprites.

Try disabling it and setting a 4:3 resolution under "Window Size" in the plugin's GUI. Something like 1440x1080 works with no black bars on the top and bottom. Generally, put something that matches your fullscreen's res height, while decreasing the width (if it's 1366x768, use 1024x768 as the window size). Then, check "Use Window size in Fullscreen mode", to keep the image in 4:3. If you prefer to play in fullscreen with no black bars, than simply use "Stretching mode > 0", and the image will fill the whole screen, but stretched XD.
  16. Amon1995

Amon1995 New Member

Guys I'm trying to get xBRZ working with this plugin, but I can't seem to get it to work, can anyone help me out please? Or is there any tutorial I can follow?
  17. TheDimensioner

@Amon1995 Well, there's this whole thread, with a simple tutorial in the first post, and also tons of discussions throughout here XD. If you don't mind reading some pages prior, there were some explanations...

But the most probable issue, is that you have "FastFBE" enabled in your gpuPeteOpenGL2Tweak.ini. Set it to "false", and all textures should be "XBRzed".
  18. Amon1995

Amon1995 New Member

I've followed the instructions on the first post and set the "Hi-Res Textures" option to "0 - None", and also set the "Framebuffer Effects" to "2 - Standard", and I can't see any change visually on the game. The xBRZ is not being applied.

My gpuPeteOpenGL2Tweak.ini file looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    I don't seem to have the "FastFBE" option...
  19. TheDimensioner

@Amon1995 Uhm, you're probably using an old version of the Tweak. Go to that link I've posted recently, with PCSXR-PGXP. It contains the latest version of the Tweaks (2.4), with all the appropriate options. Set xBRz scaler to something like x3, and disable "FastFBE".
  20. svperstarr

svperstarr New Member

Wow 74 pages of posts.

All I want to play is Silent HIll and it looks like this plugin gives the best gfx.

However I have tried both PCSX-R and ePSXe and both of them will load Silent Hill, but then 5 seconds into the intro movie I get a black screen on PCSX-R and a white screen on eEPXe.

Other graphics plugins load fine. Any fix for this?